GPS Speedo? - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By fallard
  • 1 Post By chef2sail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-04-2018 Thread Starter

GPS Speedo?

I have been having issues with intermittent speed readings on our Raymarine ST50 and 2092? paddle wheel speedo. As you will all know, its obsolete equipment and I don't want to cut a new hole in the hull for a replacement paddle wheel.

I'm not so much of a racer but in light winds it can be difficult to feel minor speed changes when trying to trim the sails, hence I miss my speed display. Late last season I did try an app on my Iphone but the screen times out and the update rate was too slow.

I'm looking for a "cheap" GPS speed display hand held or panel mount that will work in the 0-10 knot range.

Any recommendations?

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-04-2018

Re: GPS Speedo?

You might want to try a Pad w/gps.
You can put charts on it.

I have a simple, inexpensive Galaxy Tab A.
There are many apps
post #3 of 9 Old 03-04-2018

Hey,

I don't know what you mean by 'cheap' but you can buy basic gps unit for under $100. You can get a better hand held GPS with charts and everything for under $300.

You can use an iphone or other smartphone with a $10 charting app, but it will kill your battery quickly unless you provide power to it.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-05-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Got an obsolete Android phone? If not, you can also buy one dirt cheap, just install a GPS speed app on it, a 12v power cord, and velcro it in place until you get a new paddlewheel.

An intermittent paddlewheel speed is usually a bad connection, corroded, loose, or cold solder joint. Could be the cable or the instrument.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-05-2018

Maybe check for any living or nonliving things in the area of the small wheel.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-05-2018

A problem with using GPS for sailboat speed is that you are measuring speed over the bottom—not speed through the water.

If the water is moving over the bottom (i.e, there is a tidal current) you will be missing an important input to your integrated sailing instruments. Assuming your GPS data is independent, you won’t have a reading of true wind, for example. OTOH, if you don’t have integrated instruments, it probably won’t matter that much.
chef2sail likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-05-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
A problem with using GPS for sailboat speed is that you are measuring speed over the bottom—not speed through the water.

If the water is moving over the bottom (i.e, there is a tidal current) you will be missing an important input to your integrated sailing instruments. Assuming your GPS data is independent, you won’t have a reading of true wind, for example. OTOH, if you don’t have integrated instruments, it probably won’t matter that much.
If you are a fanatic about boat speed Fallard is 100% correct. I only really put my paddle wheel in when racing or trying to fine tune sail setting.

Most of the time the GPS ( speed over the bottom) is fine for us.

Only if I were a racer would I spend the money to replace a thru hull and upgrade
BarryL likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #8 of 9 Old 04-14-2018

STW is great for set and drift and SOG is great for speed. If you really want to know how you are doing you need both.

You can anchor your boat in a river and STW will tell you your going 3-5 knots while SOG will read 0. Or you could be drifting down the river and STW will be 0 and SOG will be 3-5 knots.

If you are interested in how long it will take you to get from one point to another STW will not hep you.

Last edited by KeelMe; 04-20-2018 at 08:00 PM. Reason: missing letter
post #9 of 9 Old 04-14-2018

If one is totally chill, they can get away with GPS speed alone. Me, I'm not chill. When SOG is low, I'm all over whether the bottom is fouled, the prop is fouled or the motor working properly (if I'm motoring), did we snag something, are we trimmed properly, etc? I always check current, when out of synch. It would drive me nuts, not to see STW to be able to confirm we are actually moving at the proper speed.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in