For Pete's sake! I just want a speed transducer! - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 Old 03-26-2018

Re: For Pete's sake! I just want a speed transducer!

Has an Airmar ultrasonic Speedo put in originally. Total piece of junk although a great idea as there are no spinning paddles. Replaced it twice in as many years. Flipped to the 800,and fine since.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 Old 03-26-2018

You could also leave the old one in (and forget about it) and install a shoot-thru-hull transducer in another location.
You can find solid glass w/o core.
Installation is dry and fairly easy....no hole.
aeventyr60 likes this.
post #23 of 37 Old 03-27-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
You could also leave the old one in (and forget about it) and install a shoot-thru-hull transducer in another location.
You can find solid glass w/o core.
Installation is dry and fairly easy....no hole.
He's looking for a speed transducer, not depth.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat

post #24 of 37 Old 03-27-2018
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlsmith View Post
I'm not ware of any chartplotters that will transmit data on to the network like this. Generally you have N2K enabled devices such as depth/speed transducers, air temperature/pressure sensors, wind instruments, etc, which connect to the NMEA2000 network and transmit data. Then you have other N2K enabled devices such as chartplotters or data display units that connect to the network and read data from it to display.
Thought about this some more and maybe this is a better answer.

On an N2K network there are some devices that generate and transmit data like fathometer, wind, speed, etc. These cannot receive anything as they are dumb transmitters and don't need any other data anyway.

Then there are devices that receive data like chart plotters, AP brains, etc. but are smart devices and can also transmit data like a plotter sending waypoints to an AP brain. This I have verified with my setup.

So once a device that can send/receive data is connected to the network I believe all the information that device has is then available on the network for any other device that can receive it.

Another example, my Simrad AP compass is a dumb device that transmits only but the data from the compass is received and used by my Garmin plotter and the Simrad AP computer.
post #25 of 37 Old 03-27-2018

All N2K enabled chartplotters I am aware of can also retransmit received N2K data on a network (or onto another separate network). So can other devices such as some AIS transponders, small MFD's, etc. Many are also NMEA200-NMEA0183 translators. Some even retransmit and translate over wifi.

There is no need for the transducer to plug directly into anything - just connect it to the network backbone at the most convenient place. This avoids the need to retransmit any data, unless one wishes to bridge to another network.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #26 of 37 Old 03-27-2018
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
All N2K enabled chartplotters I am aware of can also retransmit received N2K data on a network (or onto another separate network). So can other devices such as some AIS transponders, small MFD's, etc. Many are also NMEA200-NMEA0183 translators. Some even retransmit and translate over wifi.
Thanks. That confirms my admittedly limited N2K experience.

Quote:
There is no need for the transducer to plug directly into anything - just connect it to the network backbone at the most convenient place. This avoids the need to retransmit any data, unless one wishes to bridge to another network.

Mark
Assuming an N2K transducer. In my case my transducers (speed and depth) are not and have to plug into the Raymarine Bidata display. I believe that was also the case with my old Garmin. So in that case the transducer(s) would have to plug first to the plotter or MFD which would then have that data on the backbone. Yes?
post #27 of 37 Old 03-27-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
What I'm looking for is a thru-hull speed transducer that will send data onto an NMEA 2000 network so all my instruments can use it. Preferably it would 1.25" diameter to fit in the hole from the old (no longer functioning) device.

On the surface, if anyone can point me to a model that fits that need, I'd be eternally grateful.

On a deeper level, I'm wondering if it's just me, or is it insanely difficult to find information about this stuff? Looking at the advertisements, they say nothing about mounting dimensions or even the data technology in use. Especially with the data technology, it's frequently some proprietary protocol that may or may not be NMEA 2000 compatible.

Maybe I'm just impatient or really bad at research ... but it feels like I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find out important bits of information about the equipment I'm considering buying. Is it just me?

If you don't want to replace the thru-hull fitting then you'll really need to know what is on the label/tag at the transducer end of the cable in terms of model/part #.

With this data you can then go through any legitimate marine electronics dealer/installer who has a Gemeco account, and order the correct transducer to fit in that thru-hull.

The current Gemeco catalog is 671 pages long so without the correct part numbers you're shooting at darts blind folded. Gemeco is the wholesale/distribution arm of Airmar.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #28 of 37 Old 03-27-2018

Quote:
He's looking for a speed transducer, not depth.

Mark
Yeah...missed that part...

If the OP is GPS'd up, I wouldn't feel the need for a speed transducer.
post #29 of 37 Old 03-27-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
If you don't want to replace the thru-hull fitting then you'll really need to know what is on the label/tag at the transducer end of the cable in terms of model/part #.
If he wants a transducer that directly produces NMEA2000 output, then there are only three choices (ST800, ST850, DST800), and none will fit a 1.25" thruhull. It may be possible to use a non-N2K transducer connected to a converter box of some sort, but that seems a kludge way of doing it.

Edit: 4 choices counting the ultrasonic transducer.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #30 of 37 Old 03-27-2018
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
If he wants a transducer that directly produces NMEA2000 output, then there are only three choices (ST800, ST850, DST800), and none will fit a 1.25" thruhull. It may be possible to use a non-N2K transducer connected to a converter box of some sort, but that seems a kludge way of doing it.

Mark
Yes a converter box works but it is indeed a kludge.

Since I installed new speed and depth transducers not that long ago that work fine I didn't want to toss them, so got a box that connected them to my network. A lot cheaper and I didn't have to spend hours feeding wires through inaccessible parts of my bilge.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in