SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   For Pete's sake! I just want a speed transducer! (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/315114-petes-sake-i-just-want-speed-transducer.html)

colemj 03-27-2018 07:55 PM

Re: For Pete's sake! I just want a speed transducer!

In the case of Raymarine, I think even their newer transducers require a converter box to use them, so you wouldn't gain any simplicity by getting new ones. If you were to install a standard N2K transducer, you would need a N2K to SeatalkNG converter/cable to put in on a standard N2K network, because Raymarine refuses to use industry standard connectors.

But I didn't mean to comment on your choice and reasons - I was responding to the OP's desire to put a N2K transducer directly on his existing network. In his case, buying a new non-N2K transducer plus a converter box seems more trouble than just enlarging his thruhull to take the N2K transducer directly.

Mark

skipmac 03-27-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colemj (Post 2051438930)
In the case of Raymarine, I think even their newer transducers require a converter box to use them, so you wouldn't gain any simplicity by getting new ones. If you were to install a standard N2K transducer, you would need a N2K to SeatalkNG converter/cable to put in on a standard N2K network, because Raymarine refuses to use industry standard connectors.

If I purchase new transducers I definitely will not go with Raymarine. Either an N2K transducer or one that connects directly to my Garmin or Simrad.

As far as I can tell and according to Raymarine techs SeatalkNG is 100% N2K compatible at least in the software and communications protocols but they do use proprietary connectors which I find pointless and annoying. Sure it only takes a cable with Ray to standard connectors but still.

Quote:

Originally Posted by colemj (Post 2051438930)
But I didn't mean to comment on your choice and reasons - I was responding to the OP's desire to put a N2K transducer directly on his existing network. In his case, buying a new non-N2K transducer plus a converter box seems more trouble than just enlarging his thruhull to take the N2K transducer directly.

Mark

Didn't really consider whether you were commenting specifically on my choice or the technique in general but I considered it a kludge from the getgo so not to worry, we're on the same page with that.

It was my first foray into N2K but it added a lot to the learning curve to figure how to get the Raymarine integrated into the rest. All the Garmin and Simrad stuff was 100% standard cable, plug and play. Yes my Ray stuff was previous generation but even new generation takes some messing about to connect.

Don't recall what setup the OP has for plotters but if his existing setup has a transducer connected to a plotter or he can get a cheaper transducer for an existing plotter that is N2K then that could be a cheap and easy solution.

BarryL 03-28-2018 01:24 PM

SONAR vs DEPTH

Hey,

As far as I know, if you want a SONAR display instead of just depth, you can't use a N2K transducer. The only way to get SONAR data is by connecting the transducer to the plotter / black box / etc.

If you do this, most likely the MFD will put DEPTH information onto the N2K network so the depth can be displayed by other devices. But if you want to see the bottom, or find fish or anything else like that you can only do it at the MFD.

Barry

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipmac (Post 2051439042)
If I purchase new transducers I definitely will not go with Raymarine. Either an N2K transducer or one that connects directly to my Garmin or Simrad.

As far as I can tell and according to Raymarine techs SeatalkNG is 100% N2K compatible at least in the software and communications protocols but they do use proprietary connectors which I find pointless and annoying. Sure it only takes a cable with Ray to standard connectors but still.

Didn't really consider whether you were commenting specifically on my choice or the technique in general but I considered it a kludge from the getgo so not to worry, we're on the same page with that.

It was my first foray into N2K but it added a lot to the learning curve to figure how to get the Raymarine integrated into the rest. All the Garmin and Simrad stuff was 100% standard cable, plug and play. Yes my Ray stuff was previous generation but even new generation takes some messing about to connect.

Don't recall what setup the OP has for plotters but if his existing setup has a transducer connected to a plotter or he can get a cheaper transducer for an existing plotter that is N2K then that could be a cheap and easy solution.

BillMoran 04-01-2018 07:18 PM

Thanks to everyone for the info.

I ended up ordering an Airmar branded ST-800. It arrived the other day and does, indeed, have a N2K Micro connector on it ... so it should plug right in.

It _looks_ like it is the right size for the existing thru-hull ... I'll know for sure when I visit the boat this coming weekend to work on it.

colemj 04-02-2018 09:47 AM

If it "looks" the right size, then it will fit. These transducers only came in a couple of diameters, and they are very obviously different.

Your only issue may be with a locating tab on them. When we replaced ours, the new transducer came with a small tab moulded into it which served to locate the transducer so that it faced forward. When used with its corresponding thruhull, that also had a tab recess on its top lip to match. I wanted to use our old thruhull, so I just filed a small tab recess into the top lip and everything worked fine.

Mark

KeelMe 04-13-2018 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillMoran (Post 2051437106)
Still really frustrating. The only place I've found online that sells the Airmar st800 is here:
http://www.imarineusa.com/AirmarST80...iABEgJOp_D_BwE

However, even though colemj's link claims it's an NMEA2000 device. That vendor claims it has spade connectors for Raymarine gauges. I suppose it's possible that I could just replace the end of the wire with an NMEA2000 connector and it would work?

Airmar isn't good at detailing the specifications of their products. They make the ST800 in about 10 different flavors but they are all the ST800. For sub $100 this one mentioned is definitely not an NMEA 2000 version but there are plenty of ST800 that are NMEA 2000. Here is one that is SeatalkNG (NMEA 2000) and here is one that is analog.

95% of the transducers available are 2".

Simrad and Furuno both sell the ST800 with the NMEA 2000 micro-c plug.

BillMoran 04-14-2018 06:57 AM

Just to follow up ... I was at the boat last weekend and no only does the Airmar fit, but it's literally a drop-in replacement for the previous one size-wise.

So, despite my frustration, that worked out.