For Pete's sake! I just want a speed transducer! - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 03-26-2018 Thread Starter

For Pete's sake! I just want a speed transducer!

What I'm looking for is a thru-hull speed transducer that will send data onto an NMEA 2000 network so all my instruments can use it. Preferably it would 1.25" diameter to fit in the hole from the old (no longer functioning) device.

On the surface, if anyone can point me to a model that fits that need, I'd be eternally grateful.

On a deeper level, I'm wondering if it's just me, or is it insanely difficult to find information about this stuff? Looking at the advertisements, they say nothing about mounting dimensions or even the data technology in use. Especially with the data technology, it's frequently some proprietary protocol that may or may not be NMEA 2000 compatible.

Maybe I'm just impatient or really bad at research ... but it feels like I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find out important bits of information about the equipment I'm considering buying. Is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 03-26-2018

Re: For Pete's sake! I just want a speed transducer!

Airmar makes them for pretty much all manufacturer brands. You will want the ST800 or ST850: http://www.airmar.com/uploads/Brochures/st800.pdf

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to colemj For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (04-01-2018)
post #3 of 37 Old 03-26-2018
Old as Dirt!

Or... see Airmar

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
The Following User Says Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (04-01-2018)

post #4 of 37 Old 03-26-2018

It's not you Bill. I just purchased a Raymarine BiData I40, speed wheel and temp for the port side and depth finder for the starboard. Both to replace aged Datamarine stuff. I had a heck of a time finding info on the Raymarine site. I had to find the manuals on line and read those for pertinent information. Like, size of the hole, 2 inches in my case, which was perfect. And no where did it say the speed wheel came with a plug, or how long the cords were, in any ad. I finally went to a local Raymarine Dude, here in Cocoa and he let me know what was going on. After that, it was simple Got the Bidata set up for 420 bucks, out the door. sweet. Can't say for sure if it will hook up to the NEMA stuff, but I do remember asking him if it would and he said sure, it would. kevin
The Following User Says Thank You to FloridaBoy For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (04-01-2018)
post #5 of 37 Old 03-26-2018

And HyLyte is correct. Raymarine transducers are made by Airmar. Gotta look for their manuals, as well, to get any info. Kevin
post #6 of 37 Old 03-26-2018 Thread Starter

Still really frustrating. The only place I've found online that sells the Airmar st800 is here:
http://www.imarineusa.com/AirmarST80...iABEgJOp_D_BwE

However, even though colemj's link claims it's an NMEA2000 device. That vendor claims it has spade connectors for Raymarine gauges. I suppose it's possible that I could just replace the end of the wire with an NMEA2000 connector and it would work?
post #7 of 37 Old 03-26-2018

Here, Call this guy. Marine electronics for 40 yrs. Does all the tugs, ships, whatever, down here. Been to my boat a couple of times. He is component certified, which means he can replace transistors and such on a board. Great guy. Give him a call and he will help you out, I am sure. Zach Duys, as in boyz. 321-302-6158 kevin
post #8 of 37 Old 03-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
Still really frustrating. The only place I've found online that sells the Airmar st800 is here:
http://www.imarineusa.com/AirmarST80...iABEgJOp_D_BwE

However, even though colemj's link claims it's an NMEA2000 device. That vendor claims it has spade connectors for Raymarine gauges. I suppose it's possible that I could just replace the end of the wire with an NMEA2000 connector and it would work?
Airmar doesn't sell direct. Contact Gemeco https://www.gemeco.com and tell them what you need. They will tell you where to buy it.

We bought one this way, and it is definitely NMEA2000 with a canbus connector.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

The Following User Says Thank You to colemj For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (04-01-2018)
post #9 of 37 Old 03-26-2018
Administrator

Knotmeter transducers do not send NMEA information. They either send an electrical pulse or voltage reading. The Display head or 'black box' takes that pulse frequency or voltage, crunches the numbers and converts that to useful data such as a read out on an instrument or a NMEA sentence. Some of the newer systems use a 'smart transducer' but those do not work with older equipment.

Since different manufacturers, or even different models of equipment from the same manufacturer use different transducers which produce different pulse rates or voltages, its extremely difficult to find alternate transducers for any given display head, even if you do know the transducer manufacturer.

One of the things which has happened with great frequency is that the design of transducers has changed over time. Manufacturers claim that these changes have resulted in more reliability or better functionality. So with every new upgrade to the display heads, the transducers seem to change as well. But with each change, the transducer in your hull and possibly thru-hull in your boat, will no longer be correct for the replacement black box or display head.

My best suggestion would be to start with the company that made your display head. Find out what the input characteristics need to be to work properly with by your instruments. Failing that, find out the specific model number for the transducer that was used by your display. Once you have that information, Airmar (or who ever made your transducer) should be able to tell you whether they have other transducers with the output characteristics of the specific transducer that you are replacing.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 03-26-2018 at 11:36 AM.
post #10 of 37 Old 03-26-2018

As Mark has said the Airmar DST800 is the most popular choice. A number of companies sell this transducer such as Simrad:

https://www.simrad-yachting.com/simr...5khz-f57ab51d/

Garmin also produce an adaptor that converts some standard transucers into one that will transmit NMEA2000 messages. I think they sell the black box with or without the transducer

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/26510

Formally noelex77, but I cannot access that account.

Last edited by Noelex; 03-26-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in