Garmin ChartPlotter Confusion - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-18-2018 Thread Starter

Garmin ChartPlotter Confusion

With Memorial Day Sales fast approaching (already started) I am looking to upgrade my 10 year old 5" screen Garmin 545. I have downloaded multiple manuals and installation guides, but I am still a bit confused as to which model can do what. Maybe someone here, with the appropriate model, can help me out. I am interested in a 7" display (no room for bigger),(models under consideration are Garmin EchoMap Chirp, PLus and 741sx). I prefer having button assisted operation as that is what I am used to, but the touchscreen model (741sx) seems very popular. I want the display to have sail assist features; like laylines, start line, race timer, and wind gauge. I need to be able to connect nmea0183 instruments, plus AIS radio (which models have multiple NMEA0183 connections and which have N2K in the 7" screen?). Which models have possible future Radar capability? Garmin cleverly does not show you the back image with what model has what connectors. They all seem to connect thru the mount. The local West Marine is not much more help as they only have demo displays on hand.

I am open to comments and suggestions.
thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-19-2018

Re: Garmin ChartPlotter Confusion

The Garmin Web Site has the rear photos however you have to scroll through them:

741XS:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/119867

742XS:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/575473#box
post #3 of 19 Old 05-19-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks,
Yes, the 742xs is the newer model of the 741xs; those I could find. And I will have to assume that having the connections means that they work on that model. Part of my confusion comes from talking to sales people (I know my own fault) when they indicate that the 7" model does not have the same as the 9" model. The connections images of the older models; the EchoMap Chirp and Plus have not been as easy to find. The older models are, naturally at this time, much less expensive. But they might fit my needs, so I am still interested. The EchoMap Chirp with blue water charts can be had at Hodges for $400 something depending on transducer model. While the 741xs is $699.

Anyway I was just looking for others input and experience with any of these models.

thanks

post #4 of 19 Old 05-19-2018

I was just gifted a GPSmap 188C Sounder with no cables, transducer or antenna which is my first exposure to this so I am new to all this myself. I am not sure the used 188C will be worth the cost of the dual frequency transducer, antenna and cabling even though I see them still selling for over $400.

Been a shallow draft (less than a foot) row and power boater on a shoestring for 50 years so working on sailboats in the boat yard the past few months has been an eye opener. Even a picnic boat draws 3' 7" with the center board down which leaves me highly constrained compared to the freedom of the shallow draft I was used to allowing passage in 4 to 6 inches of water so I really see the need for sounders and such on sailboats.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-19-2018 Thread Starter

Yes, well that is the case for most sailboats in places where the bottom has 'hard' things. I am fortunate in that regard for at least 2 reasons; here in coastal NC the bottom is mostly silt and running aground, while a nuisance, does no damage; and I happen to have a swing keel sailboat (a Clearwater 35') where both the keel and the rudder swing up, in that case I draw 1' 10"! Forward looking Sonar certainly would be handing for finding anchorages, but my main interest in the newer CP's is the improved instrument displays for sailing as I previously mentioned. I realize most of these models are aimed at fisherman, but I 'think' the software is all very similar and all have these display pages as well. At least that is what I am trying to find out. I am not one to buy something new just to have the latest and greatest, but about 5 years ago both Garmin and B&G came out with models with sailing instrument displays and I am hoping to finally upgrade to one of them. I prefer the Garmin Charts and B&G Cps have some connectivity issues (only N2K).
oysterman23 likes this.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-19-2018

Hello,

I am not a garmin expert but it look like both GPSMAP and ECHOMAP support sailing assist.

From the Echomap Plus 73 page
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/593003

SailAssist Features
SailAssist features include laylines, enhanced wind rose and heading and course-over-ground lines. See true and apparent wind angle and speed as well as set and drift and a glance. To help you gain a wind-maximizing competitive edge, a pre-race guidance page that shows your virtual starting line along with data fields showing laylines, time to burn before the start and a race timer.

For networking:
Connections
NMEA 2000 compatible
Transducer pin numbers 8
NMEA 0183 input ports

NMEA 0183 output ports

And from the GPSMAP 722 page
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561650
Built-in SailAssist Features
To help you gain a wind-maximizing competitive edge, your chartplotter features a pre-race guidance page that shows your virtual starting line along with data fields showing laylines, time to burn before the start and a race timer that can be synchronized across all your networked Garmin GPS products. In addition, other supported sailing features include an enhanced wind rose, heading and course-over-ground lines, set and drift, true and apparent wind data and more.

Connections
NMEA 2000 compatible
NMEA 0183 input ports
1 (Differential)

NMEA 0183 output ports
1 (Differential)

The GPSMAP units support RADAR.

That's about all I was able to find in 10 minutes or less.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-19-2018 Thread Starter

thanks, is anybody using any of these?
post #8 of 19 Old 07-03-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon47 View Post
thanks, is anybody using any of these?
Did you ever make a choice? I recently purchased a Garmin 942 and I am extremely happy with it. The 742 has the same firmware and features, it's just 7in vs 9in.

This plotter does NMEA2000 and 0186, and has two 0186 channels. It interfaces to my instrument system, so I get wind, heading and such data on the plotter, and position and nav data on my instruments. I have an Lowrance VHF with AIS RX and the targets are plotted perfectly.

It also works nicely with my iPad. I can lay out routes on the iPad and then upload them to the plotter. I can also use the iPad as a remote screen via wifi.

Any other questions? I know it's pricy but I'm very happy with this choice.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-25-2018 Thread Starter

I purchased the 741 and I have some issues. It does not show depth from my NMEA depth sensor. Garmin claims it is because my instruments are old, I am not convinced as my old Garmin read depth fine. Other than that I am happy with my decision also. The price was right and it has all the connectivity I could possibly need (much like the 742) the display is great and it is a good upgrade from my 8 year old 5" model.

thanks,
Ron
post #10 of 19 Old 07-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon47 View Post
I purchased the 741 and I have some issues. It does not show depth from my NMEA depth sensor. Garmin claims it is because my instruments are old, I am not convinced as my old Garmin read depth fine. Other than that I am happy with my decision also. The price was right and it has all the connectivity I could possibly need (much like the 742) the display is great and it is a good upgrade from my 8 year old 5" model.

thanks,
Ron
Ron, what model NMEA depth transducer do you have? If it's an older Airmar its talking NMEA0183 at 4800 baud. It should work just fine. Make sure the Garmin communications settings are correct (which port and what baud rate). Make sure it has a common ground and is otherwise hooked up correctly.

I have a NMEA0183 depth transducer but I hooked it to my Nexus server. The data makes its way to the plotter via N2K. But I am certain this will work, unless the transducer itself is broken.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in