Garmin-Active Captain? - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 05-30-2018 Thread Starter

Garmin-Active Captain?

I guess I’m used to the original AC that every time I logged on it automatically updated...not with the new Garmin’s version.. Last update was May 23rd after multiple sign on’s..unless I’m miss something...

On another note..I see Garmin’s ‘Blue Charts’ no longer support (the older version) of AC...therefor any charts purchased are not transferable to Garmin’s new version of AC..

Last edited by aa3jy; 05-30-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 05-30-2018

Re: Garmin-Active Captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
I guess Iím used to the original AC that every time I logged on it automatically updated...not with the new Garminís version.. Last update was May 23rd after multiple sign onís..unless Iím miss something...

On another note..I see Garminís ĎBlue Chartsí no longer support (the older version) of AC...therefor any charts purchased are not transferable to Garminís new version of AC..
Holy cow, it does not work at all any more for me! When I go to activecaptain.com the link is redirected automatically to https://activecaptain.garmin.com and it opens (drum-roll) -- a white page!! Refreshing does nothing, it stays a blank white page.

This is on an up-to-date Chrome browser on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04).

Not good.
post #3 of 39 Old 05-30-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

It opens for me, but my account appears to have been obliterated. My password no longer works and when I requested a password reset, the usual automated email never arrived at my inbox.

Garmin is screwing this up good and I'll probably walk away from it.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #4 of 39 Old 05-30-2018

On my chromebook I can log in and see the charts. but ...
1 - all of my saved routes are gone
2 - when I leave and come back it used to return the map view to its last view. Now it always reverts to satelite view, centered on someplace in the midwest

#2 is an annoyance.
#1 is a big loss for me. I liked the route planning in AC of old.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #5 of 39 Old 05-30-2018

I had to go through a merge process, prompted by the new website, but it worked fine. I realized I did this on my iPad, when the old site didnít work on an iPad. The new one does. Seems they were making upgrades. Worth the effort to me for that new convenience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 39 Old 05-30-2018
Sailor

I always liked AC better than WG not anymore I switched to Waterway Guide I guess Smackdaddy was right.
post #7 of 39 Old 05-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W View Post
I guess Smackdaddy was right.
sailnet equivalent of saying "Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse" :-)

I agree, I did prefer the old AC as well but I think I will have another look at WG.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #8 of 39 Old 05-30-2018

I just tried to sign on the AC website from a different computer and it won't load. Message says it's temporarily unavailable. Clearly they're having some transition trouble.

Nothing wrong with WWG, per se. Only it's defense for the sake of hurting the AC developer, which no one left here seems to do anymore.

I still think AC has the edge, given it's integration with so many platforms and broad input data points. I usually access the database from my nav app, so the website issue would have gone unnoticed, if not for this thread.

Garmin is not an amateur organization, I'm sure they'll work out the bugs in the conversion. On the other hand, more than one popular technology has been eclipsed by another over time. WWG has been at their online version for some time now and I don't see them making much ground. Doubt they are the answer, but we'll see.
chef2sail and bristol299bob like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 39 Old 05-31-2018

I found it was the redirect link that was broken. If I typed in https://activecaptain.garmin.com, it worked fine.

As I've been playing around, I have noticed two issues.

1. As mentioned, it does not remember where you were on your last visit. That's not the end of the world, as that's not always where I want to return to. It was a tad annoying, after I closed it and then remember I wanted to check one more thing on my upcoming Maine trip.

2. I can't find how you can measure distance between ports any longer. If that's truly gone and not just that I can't find it, that's a real loss in passage planning.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #10 of 39 Old 05-31-2018
Old soul

Well, my AC account now seems dead. I was just using it a few days ago, accessing it via the website. Yesterday it would not accept my login, and I just tried it again today ó no joy. Iíve tried to reset my password ó nothing. Itís like my old account is simply gone, even though I was on it just a few days ago.

Iíve always liked AC. I use it as I use any crowd-sourced database. I hope Garmin doesnít screw it up (and they havenít lost my account).

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in