What are some good options for refrigeration? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 Old 06-24-2018
Master Mariner

Re: What are some good options for refrigeration?

We picked up a used Engel fridge/freezer from another boat and I'm pretty impressed. These seem like the answer to the hassle of ice. They come in a lot of different sizes and this one (40 liters) seems to burn around one amp an hour, average.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 06-24-2018

It is likely the cost of adding any type of refrigeration to your Catalina 27 be very expensive in comparison to your boats worth. Extra batteries and or solar power to keep everything running could be a grand easily, then add the cost of those mini fridges.

I spent two weeks sailing BC, and sailed all the way up to Desolation Sound. Until you get past Desolation Sound there are places you can stop each day to get ice and groceries. Ice done right should get you at least 3 days between needing to visit a store to resupply.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 29 Old 06-24-2018
One of None

12 volt Refrigeration does NOT kill batteries!
Stop saying it, it's just not true.
If you have an engine and it charges your batteries two batteries are usually all you need. BECAUSE it is very unlikely you will not run your engine to charge your batteries everyday or every other day.

12 volt Refrigeration does kill budgets because it is expensive $600-1000 for a 5-7 cubic foot box, ain't cheap!
chef2sail and fallard like this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 06-24-2018 at 02:27 PM.

post #14 of 29 Old 06-24-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
12 volt Refrigeration does kill budgets because it is expensive $600-1000 for a 5-7 cubic foot box, ain't cheap!
Prices from Amazon range from ~$450 for the CF11 to ~$1100 for the CF110

I couldn't install an icebox conversion unit for less than $2K.
deniseO30 likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #15 of 29 Old 06-25-2018

I looked at all kinds of options about 4 years ago. Many will poke fun but I found Walmart to be my friend. With an inboard diesel all it took was a cheap 3 cubic feet fridge bought off season for like $87, a $100 inverter which you already have and I already had a house battery. I rarely go anywhere even for a week that doesn't require some daily motoring. An hour a day keeps my one house batt fully charged. So no solar yet. I just could not bring myself to spend $k on like a Norcold and have it fail after a year. This fridge I have is very cold. Freezer works great. I can go for as long as I want with some engine recharging. I could expand things with cheap solar or a second house batt if needed. Plus if the Walmart fridge dies it goes in the dumpster without any hesitation to be replaced by an exact duplicate. Not for everyone but it works for me...
post #16 of 29 Old 06-25-2018
One of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisysDriver View Post
I looked at all kinds of options about 4 years ago. Many will poke fun but I found Walmart to be my friend. With an inboard diesel all it took was a cheap 3 cubic feet fridge bought off season for like $87, a $100 inverter which you already have and I already had a house battery. I rarely go anywhere even for a week that doesn't require some daily motoring. An hour a day keeps my one house batt fully charged. So no solar yet. I just could not bring myself to spend $k on like a Norcold and have it fail after a year. This fridge I have is very cold. Freezer works great. I can go for as long as I want with some engine recharging. I could expand things with cheap solar or a second house batt if needed. Plus if the Walmart fridge dies it goes in the dumpster without any hesitation to be replaced by an exact duplicate. Not for everyone but it works for me...
That works for many people, but norcold and others, don't fail in a year. (Don't know where that perception came from) many of them run for many years. matter of fact, many that were installed during the 80s when 12 volt Refrigeration became viable, are still running!

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #17 of 29 Old 06-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
That works for many people, but norcold and others, don't fail in a year. (Don't know where that perception came from) many of them run for many years. matter of fact, many that were installed during the 80s when 12 volt Refrigeration became viable, are still running!
There are land based examples of ammonia based refrigerators from the 1940's and 1950's that still work fine. The thing that kills many of them is simple not following the instructions about having them level when stationary. Its OK for them to be at an angle when in motion however when standing still if your listing then the chromate powder will build up and clog things or condensed refrigerant will build up where it does not belong. Many times the fix is to take them out and flip them on their side for a while, upside down, on other side and then back right side up repeating the process a few times.

My thermal chip coolers that I bought over 30 years ago still run fine. The one with the aluminum liner is holding up better than the plastic lined one which now has deep spider cracks in the liner however the cooling chip still works fine. The fans have required attention to clean and lube them however they are still original too and the smaller of the two with the aluminum liner served as my construction site cooler for a number of years.
post #18 of 29 Old 06-26-2018
One of None

We never got into ammonia systems but I had been around it once or twice in my career. NASTY stuff!
Some interesting reading here.
https://www.danfoss.com/en/markets/r...n/why-ammonia/
eherlihy likes this.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 06-26-2018 at 08:36 AM.
post #19 of 29 Old 06-26-2018

Sailing 11

You haven't had much to say.
Your original post stated that your 27' boat had no refrigeration. Do you mean there is no ice box?
post #20 of 29 Old 06-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
Sailing 11

You haven't had much to say.
Your original post stated that your 27' boat had no refrigeration. Do you mean there is no ice box?
No, he means no refrigeration, or air conditioning. I am going to guess this modest boat does not even have a jacuzzi.
deniseO30 likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in