Raymarine LightHouse Charts? - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Question Raymarine LightHouse Charts?

I am looking at getting Raymarine's LightHouse charts for my planned trip from Rhode Island to Florida this year. I am hoping that someone out there has more experience with Lighthouse charts than me. Should I:
Purchase NOAA Raster - East Release: 2018-04 Quilted raster charts of the US East Coast from official NOAA charts
- or -
Purchase: NOAA Raster - Northeast Release: 2018-04 Quilted NOAA raster charts covering New Jersey to Maine
AND NOAA Raster - Mid Atlantic Release: 2018-04 Quilted NOAA raster charts covering North Carolina to Pennsylvania
AND NOAA Raster - Southeast Release: 2018-04 Quilted NOAA raster charts covering Florida to South Carolina

I guess my question is; is the NOAA Raster East is equal to the other three combined, or do the regional charts (Northeast, Mid Atlantic and Southeast) contain greater detail than the East chart?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-09-2018
Sailor

Re: Raymarine LightHouse Charts?

How much do they cost? You can get the whole US from Navionics for $299 which are constantly updated and come with 1 year of free updates. I found them very accurate on my trip to the Keys and back to Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
post #3 of 15 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladrags1 View Post
How much do they cost? You can get the whole US from Navionics for $299 which are constantly updated and come with 1 year of free updates. I found them very accurate on my trip to the Keys and back to Maryland.

Each region costs $9.99, and they include quarterly updates for a year... So I'm asking if I should pay $10, or $30, or $40.

I am moving away from Navionics.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #4 of 15 Old 07-09-2018

Unfortunately it's not clear from the documentation available on the Raymarine website. I got the 'East' vector map, which covers more or less the same region as the NorthEast, Mid-Atlantic, SouthEast, Great Lakes, and Heartland maps combined. If you sum up all the file sizes of all those vector maps they pretty much match the size of the East map, so I'd assume they contain the same content. I see no reason why the raster maps would be any different.
eherlihy likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to peterlsmith For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (07-09-2018)
post #5 of 15 Old 07-11-2018 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

@peterlsmith - Thanks

I have also confirmed with Raymarine/Fugawi Tech Support. The east coast package is the same as the three smaller regions.

Therefore, I have parted with my $9.99 and downloaded a BIG file of RNCs (took over 30 min to download - ENCs would have been smaller & faster)! All the charts on my plotter are dated 4-1-2018!

post #6 of 15 Old 07-11-2018

Possibly a dumb question, so apologies upfront. But Im wondering why these charts are $10 while navionics are $300? are these charts usable only on Raymarine hardware, or can garmin, lowrance, etc chartplotters load these as well?

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #7 of 15 Old 07-11-2018
Sailor

Please make sure that they are compatible on your Raymarine unit! I'm not saying they aren't but be certain.

I had Raymarine's Voyager program for my windows 10 laptop. It was slow and a memory hog. It was made by Fugawi and used lighthouse charts. I don't use that program anymore for chartwork at home but prefer OpenCPN which much much faster.

I think you are looking at raster charts vs ENC which might explain the cost difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
post #8 of 15 Old 07-11-2018 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladrags1 View Post
Please make sure that they are compatible on your Raymarine unit! I'm not saying they aren't but be certain.

I had Raymarine's Voyager program for my windows 10 laptop. It was slow and a memory hog. It was made by Fugawi and used lighthouse charts. I don't use that program anymore for chartwork at home but prefer OpenCPN which much much faster.

I think you are looking at raster charts vs ENC which might explain the cost difference?
Workin' fine on my eS78!

Yes, I am using RNC charts (Raster Navigation Charts), but the ENC (vector) charts cost the same!

On my PC at the Nav Station I use PolarView NS with BOTH Raster and Vector charts loaded.
Gladrags1 likes this.

post #9 of 15 Old 07-11-2018 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
Possibly a dumb question, so apologies upfront. But Im wondering why these charts are $10 while navionics are $300? are these charts usable only on Raymarine hardware, or can garmin, lowrance, etc chartplotters load these as well?
These charts are published by NOAA, and available for FREE! Fugawi/Raymarine (and others) convert the NOAA charts to a format which is compatible with their chartplotters. Garmin used to (and continues to try to) make a FORTUNE selling their proprietary chart updates for their plotters. Garmin now owns Navionics, so I suspect that Garmin will allow these charts to work on their plotters only after they have been forced to do so by their customers. No idea about Lowrance B&G or the others.

I use PolarNavy's PolarView NS on a PC at my Nav station, I also use MX Mariner (~$10) on my Android (only) phone. Both of these are compatible with the NOAA charts, and the charts are updated quarterly, if not more frequently. The chart updates for both MX Mariner and PolarView NS are FREE.

The high cost of updates is is why I am moving away from Garmin cartography and the initial $100 Navionics subscription. I received the Navionics charts for an additional $100 when I bought my current plotter in 2016, because I wanted to see if they were worth it - they aren't.
oysterman23 likes this.

Last edited by eherlihy; 07-12-2018 at 09:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
bristol299bob (07-12-2018)
post #10 of 15 Old 07-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
The high cost of updates is is why I am moving away from Garmin cartography and the initial $100 Navionics subscription. I received the Navionics charts for an additional $100 when I bought my current plotter in 2016, because I wanted to see if they were worth it - they aren't.
I have to say that i agree. I like Garmin plotters (hardware, UI, etc) but the cartography costs and updates are prohibitive (to me at least). This seems like a great alternative, thanks.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in