Upgrade Electronics - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 08-15-2018 Thread Starter
Fau
Possibly improving

Upgrade Electronics

I'm having trouble with basically all of my electronics at this point and I think that it may be time to replace with an entirely new package. The boat is a 2004 Jeanneau Sun Odyssy. We are racing on it more and more and the lack of wind, accurate speed and depth is becoming an issue. Has any ever replaced everything rather that fix and repair as needed? I'm not sure where to start, if I decide to start over.

Thanks

Do or do not... There is no try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-15-2018

Re: Upgrade Electronics

Hey,

IMHO it's better to start from scratch than to change out parts piece meal. That assumes you have the budget for a total redo.

What sort of information are you looking for? What is your budget? Are you looking for basic depth/speed/wind, that plus plotter? Do you want a new VHF? AIS? Autopilot? Multiple data repeaters? The sky is the limit!

Do you have a favorite, or most hated, vendor? I would recommend you stick with one vendor if possible.

For me personally, I would go with B&G (which is part of Simrad). I would start with the basic depth/speed/wind. I would add a 7" or 9" plotter, the Zeus if I had the budget, the Vulcan if not. I would use the V50 VHF and AIS receive unit.

Good luck,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in