Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-17-2018

Re: US GPS, Russian GLASNOS and now..

We may need the redundancy:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ing/index.html

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #3 of 23 Old 11-18-2018

I have no doubt that GPS will become more and more vulnerable. It's too rich a target and can cause a tremendous amount of disruption and fear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 23 Old 11-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I have no doubt that GPS will become more and more vulnerable. It's too rich a target and can cause a tremendous amount of disruption and fear.
There are so many global positioning satellites zipping around in low orbits, it's a wonder they don't run into each other (lol). You have the US, Russian, Europe and China up there. It is well known that you can jam a receiver or spoof it .

So, yes, global positioning systems are vulnerable to some extent--but primarily at the receiver--meaning local vs global--level. That said, the fact that large scale interference with GPS or one of the other systems would affect more than the owner of the global positioning system is a deterrent.

Meanwhile, there are military alternatives for navigation/positioning, such as LORAN and electronic celestial navigation, which have been around for at least 50 years. LORAN, for example, went away a few years ago but may be operationally resurrected as "eLORAN".
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-19-2018

Dock

My new smartphone comes with both A-GPS, GLONASS so needs to be a World War before I lose location

I guess yours does too?

Mind you mine isn't for sale in the USA... It's Samsung A8 Star only available in India and Hong Kong AFAIK.

I would have thought a marine GPS should receive them all?

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #6 of 23 Old 11-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
There are so many global positioning satellites zipping around in low orbits, it's a wonder they don't run into each other (lol). You have the US, Russian, Europe and China up there. It is well known that you can jam a receiver or spoof it .

So, yes, global positioning systems are vulnerable to some extent--but primarily at the receiver--meaning local vs global--level. That said, the fact that large scale interference with GPS or one of the other systems would affect more than the owner of the global positioning system is a deterrent.

Meanwhile, there are military alternatives for navigation/positioning, such as LORAN and electronic celestial navigation, which have been around for at least 50 years. LORAN, for example, went away a few years ago but may be operationally resurrected as "eLORAN".
They have spares up there... plus the orbits are well known and consider how likely it would be for a few undred vessels in the entire globe covered in water to collide. Kinda unlikely but possible.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #7 of 23 Old 11-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
My new smartphone comes with both A-GPS, GLONASS so needs to be a World War before I lose location

I guess yours does too?

Mind you mine isn't for sale in the USA... It's Samsung A8 Star only available in India and Hong Kong AFAIK.

I would have thought a marine GPS should receive them all?
Several GPS antennas offer GPS and GLONASS reception and have for years. I bought a Digital Yacht unit about 5 yrs ago to replace a much older Raymarine antenna and was able to interface it with a Raymarine CP via NEMA (vs Seatalk).https://www.defender.com/product3.js...056&id=2360307
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #8 of 23 Old 11-19-2018

Dock

Yes, it's a thing. The good news is that unless you are a precision guided munition, you probably won't notice.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 11-19-2018

During the last NATO exercise in Norway Russia was jamming GPS signals disturbing military and civilian use.
https://www.realcleardefense.com/art...se_113960.html
post #10 of 23 Old 11-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
During the last NATO exercise in Norway Russia was jamming GPS signals disturbing military and civilian use.
https://www.realcleardefense.com/art...se_113960.html
The reported Russian jamming was local and did not affect receivers that were not in the immediate area of the jamming. BTW, the was the RECEIVERS that were jammed—not the GPS system itself, based on the published reports. So, if you were not in the war games zone your sailboat GPS receiver was not affected.
RegisteredUser and krisscross like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in