Autohelm 800 Analog - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rob_P

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-16-2019 Thread Starter

Autohelm 800 Analog

The previous owner of my boat included an Autohelm 800 analog. As far as he knew it worked but it has not been used for a few years.
Yesterday I applied 12V to it (Brown wire +, blue wire -), i turned it on and set it to the calm setting and all it did was make a few muffled clicks. Turning the compass knob had no effect) I was in the house at the time but I would have thought it would have still figured out magnetic north.

I don't think its over extended (a fault reported by other users). I want to take the back off, see if anything is wrong and and lube if necessary.

The screws holding the unit together are not like any tamper proof screw I have seen before. The drive pattern is a six tooth Philips but the head is domed in the middle. So far I can't find any suitable drive bits.

Any help on how to take it apart or better still any check without the need to take it apart would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1185.jpg   IMG_1186.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-16-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Autohelm 800 Analog

Better picture of the screws
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1188.jpg  
post #3 of 7 Old 03-16-2019

They look like torx fittings, although, they are hard to see. Not following your bench test either, so can't help think of troubleshooting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 7 Old 03-16-2019
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

tiller pilots do not exactly figure out north. they are given a heading amd then make micro adjustments plus or minus to keep that heading. before openung it up try installing it in the correct position with the correct plu and fuse protection and set it to steer a course. I have an autohelm 800 of a layer era and the were great tillerpilots so long as your boat is tuned up and not suffering from bad weather helm. Check the P.o. installed the mounts as noted in the manual. The ram should extend and contract about 6"-8" when tiller is centered there is further info out there online. Do not go inside it unless you've determined its ab necc.
as it must be water sealed again afterwards (and not dependably) try a bit of vaseline on the piston seal when testing.
The main thing inside to service is the belt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 Old 03-17-2019 Thread Starter

The screws are definitely not Torx, I have a set of drivers for those. These screw heads are domed in the middle.
If its not working, then I have no option but to take it apart. In the meantime before I can find a suitable driver I'm thinking I may drop a little silicon spray lube around the chromed push / pull rod.
oysterman23 likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-17-2019

Are they security torx? I just can't see them well in the pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-17-2019 Thread Starter

No, not security Torx which have a pin in the center. These screws are dome topped.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in