A PLB for the Chesapeake Bay? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 74 Old 03-27-2019

Re: A PLB for the Chesapeake Bay?

We sewed loops into our auto inflate PFD so that when inflated the PLB should be next to our head. You don’t even know you have it, yet there it is.

Every year folks drown in the Chessie. No guarantee your VHF will survive the fall or you won’t loose it.

SAR assets are far more likely to find you, and to be more motivated if they have a precise location; not just another “somewhere out there, poke in the dark” run. They have somewhere very specific to go to.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 03-27-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"The spot tracker is waterproof. According to the specs it floats in water and is Waterproof to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes"
Bear in mind that even the famous waterproof Rolex Oyster WILL EVENTUALLY LEAK. Ask any shop in a diving resort area, they work on them all day.
"Waterproof" seals are normally guaranteed for one or two years, three at the most, and that's if they are not exposed to soaps, oils, or excess G forces like water traveling at speed, squirting past the seals.
If it really is important, put the gizmo in an EWA pouch or other replaceable vinyl waterproof pouch. Some are submersible to six feet, others to 100 feet. Not expensive.
post #33 of 74 Old 03-28-2019

Anyone have an opinion about the choice between the ACR ResQLink 400 and the OceanSignal RescueMe PLB1?

The latter is a much more compact, so may be less annoying to have attached to your vest all the time.

post #34 of 74 Old 03-28-2019

Because you asked, I recieved this notice in my email today. No endorsement, simply info.

Quote:
Luck Favors The Prepared!
Introducing the new ResQLink View and ResQLink 400 Personal Locator Beacons!
Incorporating first-hand feedback from survivors who have activated ACR Personal Locator Beacons in real-life emergencies, the new ResQLink 400 and ResQLink View PLBs introduce user-friendly design innovations and add enhanced functionality to provide a range of adventurers with a trusted and affordable link to rescue in a life-threatening situation. Made in the USA the new Personal Locator Beacons offer the same exceptional power and operational reliability expected from ACR products.

Available for Pre-Order and get Free Shipping!
Pre-Orders will ship in less than 1 week.
https://www.acrartex.com/products/re...A+ResQLink+PLB

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Last edited by hpeer; 03-28-2019 at 08:37 PM.
post #35 of 74 Old 03-31-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMarks View Post
Anyone have an opinion about the choice between the ACR ResQLink 400 and the OceanSignal RescueMe PLB1?

The latter is a much more compact, so may be less annoying to have attached to your vest all the time.
Yes, I do. It is true that the RescueMe is much smaller but it does not float. "Floats in its pouch. It does need to stay inside the pouch in order to float" See https://www.twowayradiotalk.com/best...ocator-beacon/

This rules it out for me.
post #36 of 74 Old 03-31-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Because you asked, I recieved this notice in my email today. No endorsement, simply info.

Thank you.

It looks like ACR has the market pretty much cornered. Other than the RescueMe (which I do not consider see previous post) that's all there is.

I made a spreadsheet to compare the relevant ARC models but sailnet does not allow me to attach it. Below is the information copied as text. I could not find a place that had all the information in on place and perhaps it saves someone the legwork

For me the only choice is really between the ResQlink 400 and the ResQlink View. I believe there are only minimal differences between the two: The View has a screen, has a transmission time of 28 vs 24 hours, and it costs $50.- more.

So, my question is: Is this screen useful for anything?

================================================== ===================

All waterproof 5m for 1 hour. All prices are from acrartex.com

Model Price Satellites Screen? weigh Strobe Battery life Op. life Power
Aqualink PLB-350B $350 GPS only no 261g LED 6 years 24 hours 6.3W
ResQlink View PLB-425 $375 GPS+Galileo yes 148g LED + IR 5 years 28 hours 5W
ResQlink+ PLB 400 $325 GPS+Galileo no 148g LED + IR 5 years 24 hours 5W
ResQlink+ PLB-375 $350 GPS only no 153g LED 6 years 25 hours 5W
post #37 of 74 Old 03-31-2019

Have the acr on one vest. Itís a PIA because the antenna keeps deploying when you donít want it to.
Havenít found a plb I really like. Would want one with both AIS/epirb functionality, very small, light, totally waterproof, user can change or recharge battery, and at least 24 hours of signal.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #38 of 74 Old 03-31-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Have the acr on one vest. Itís a PIA because the antenna keeps deploying when you donít want it to.
Havenít found a plb I really like. Would want one with both AIS/epirb functionality, very small, light, totally waterproof, user can change or recharge battery, and at least 24 hours of signal.
Yes, AIS plus 406MHz would be a winner. Probably in the next generation but not at present.

Still, is there any reason to have this screen? I don't need to have it show the GPS position, if for no other reason because it uses the precious internal battery. So, any reason to pay $50.- extra for it?
post #39 of 74 Old 04-01-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Apparently the more expensive new ACR's will be "MEOSAR" compatible. This is a third generation of satellites apparently being deployed now, that are supposed to have greater coverage, speed, and precision. So if that's right...it might be worth the extra bucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
MastUndSchotbruch (04-01-2019)
post #40 of 74 Old 04-01-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Apparently the more expensive new ACR's will be "MEOSAR" compatible. This is a third generation of satellites apparently being deployed now, that are supposed to have greater coverage, speed, and precision. So if that's right...it might be worth the extra bucks.
Thank you for pointing that out. I checked, the two ACR PLBs that I consider seriously (the PLB-400 and the PLB-425 which is the same as the 400 except for the screen) are MEOSAR compatible.

Still don't know what the screen is for....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in