A PLB for the Chesapeake Bay? - SailNet Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 Old 03-26-2019 Thread Starter

A PLB for the Chesapeake Bay?

Title says it all: I usually single-hand in the Chessie and like everybody I am concerned about ending up in the drink. I religiously wear a PFD, I have a light attached to it as well as a whistle. Nearly always (ie except if I forget) I have a floating handheld VHF on my belt. And of course the Chessie is a relatively benign body of water, with lots of traffic (recreational and commercial).

But what if? Should I consider buying a PLB and attaching it to the PfD? They are in the $300.- range, not cheap, but if I ended up swimming would I regret not have spent the money?
The Following User Says Thank You to MastUndSchotbruch For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (03-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 03-26-2019

Re: A PLB for the Chesapeake Bay?

Honest question; what would a PLB do here that a handheld VHF with DSC+GPS wouldn't? Such as this; https://www.westmarine.com/buy/stand...61?recordNum=5
I got that on sale for $150 and personally consider it enough for now, but also don't single hand or go out in rough conditions so your need are probably different.

edit; should note that I'm thinking specific to the Chesapeake, where as far as I know you'll always been within range of coast guard with that VHF?
post #3 of 74 Old 03-26-2019

When I became concerned about going in the drink while single handed, I bought a harness and a tether and I use them. Ounce of prevention worth pound of cure, say Confucius.

post #4 of 74 Old 03-26-2019
Barquito

Your range on the VHF might be a little limited from a height of about 3" above the water. I have never tried it, but, I'm guessing it would still work. I think most single handed sailors consider their boat as a really tall building. If you fall off you are dead. Being that you are actually within range of help, it is prudent to have a few options. Personally, I would be comfortable with the PFD and VHF. I also try to keep it in my head-space that it does not necessarily take storm conditions to throw you off the boat. Just a passing motor boat could do the trick.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

Valiant 32
post #5 of 74 Old 03-26-2019

Would get a beacon. Probably not AIS if you single. Firmly attached to your PFD unlike a vhf. Requires just pushing a button which maybe key if youíre hurt or have your hands full staying afloat with the waves hitting the back of your head instead of swallowing them. No issues of remembering to keep a full charge on it.
Guess it comes down to what you think your life is worth.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #6 of 74 Old 03-26-2019

Hey,

Good question. I'm in the same boat. I sail on the Long Island sound - never more than 10 miles from shore, usually less than 5 miles from shore. Usually a decent amount of marine traffic is in VHF range.

I also wear my PFD and carry a HH VHF- mine is the Standard Horizon HX870 model with integrated GPS, supports DSC, etc. If I run (fall) into trouble I can just press the distress button.

I also have a SPOT GPS tracker that I almost never use. I do take it for longer trips, but then it's usually on the boat broadcasting my position. If I'm singlehanding I probably should put that in my pocket as well. I plan on replacing the SPOT tracker with the SPOT X messenger. Maybe I'll remember to keep that on my person.

In all likely-hood none of this will ever be needed but I do like electronic gadgets.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 74 Old 03-26-2019

I wouldn't count on much transmission range out of a VHF while treading water. I wear my 406 PLB all the time, even kayaking on small rivers. It's so easy, just flip the cap open and hit the button.

PLBs aren't limited to Man Overboard situations, you can use them for any kind of life threatening distress; your boat is sinking and you're busy bailing, you are in medical distress, you have gone hiking ashore and broken your leg. You can even take it in your car, hiking, skiing, if you have a long winter drive and you are worried about getting stranded, take your PLB. An EPIRB is registered to a boat, but the PLB is registered to you.
post #8 of 74 Old 03-26-2019

Couple of additional considerations.....

I have a Standard Horizon VHF/GPS/DSC radio in my ditch bag. I understand, once you press that DSC button, you don't have very long until the batteries are dead. I keep a sleeve of spare batteries in my ditchbag too.

The one downside to a PLB is that I do not believe they make hydro activated models. That's probably because you wouldn't want one triggered simply by getting wet, if you take some snot in the cockpit. IOW, you have to be conscious and be able to physically trigger the PLB. Painfully, the reason you're in the water could include an injury.

So, my answer, a standard VHF (longer battery life) and a PLB. If not a VHF, an InReach could do. Again, you need to be conscious and dexterous.

I assume the Chessy water gets cold in the shoulder seasons. That works on you fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 74 Old 03-26-2019

If the cold water is what scares you, try a dry suit. I've done 6 hours in 32F water in one for a test--my body temperature actually went up.

Or use a tether/jackline religiously.

But generally I just try to be careful. The F-24 is hard to fall off.

In the winter season, A PLB isn't going to matter. Even this Sunday, which was really nice, we only saw a few boats. The water temp is about 45-50F now.
MastUndSchotbruch and Arcb like this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #10 of 74 Old 03-26-2019

In the winter it's a dry suit AND a PLB for me, as well as a VHF.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in