Autopilot Wheel Drive ripped out... - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-12-2019 Thread Starter
Avast, ye scurvy dogs!

Autopilot Wheel Drive ripped out...

Beloved Sail-heads,

Mounted my Raymarine EV-100 autopilot wheel drive onto my Edson pedestal, following, naively, the instructions that came with it. Unfortunately, after a few hours of use the post against which the drive does its thing got pulled off the pedestal. See sad pic. The screws pulled right out of the 1/4 inch aluminum wall of the pedestal.

Sooooo....Round II. Can anyone suggest a better way to mount that thing? I was thinking a custom built clamp that would encircle the entire pedestal but maybe someone has a better, cheaper, and/or easier idea?

Thanks all in advance! I've learned to never make a maintenance move on my boat without consulting the Sailnet Oracles - a.k.a. you guys.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8357.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-12-2019
Dirt Free

Re: Autopilot Wheel Drive ripped out...

Looks like you either drilled the holes too big or you overtightened and stripped the threads on the aluminum. If you are using stainless steel screws don't forget to use Tef-gel or you will suffer from corrosion. Move it up/down half an inch and try again or ... visit Harbour freight and buy a cheap pop rivet gun and some aluminum rivets.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-12-2019

I would through bolt that base. There should be access to slide your hand down the pedestal. If not, rivets should work.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

post #4 of 9 Old 04-12-2019

Did you use sheet metal or self tapping screws??? If so, that's the cause. ST screws are notorious for stripping out because of the minimal threads that actually bite the metal. Should have drilled and tapped for course thread machine screws. The tapped machine screws have worked fine for me including a 200 mile return to port after a rigging failure.

If you don't have access to through bolt the post, drill and tap for the next size larger course thread fastener and use machine screws to fasten. If that rips out, you have a serious problem with bad metal in the pedestal. Those wheel pilots just don't have enough power even if jammed to rip out the fixing pin.

Last edited by roverhi; 04-12-2019 at 09:29 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-12-2019

I donít know if this is considered a legit technique or not. I used it to mount an exit block on my mast, so I hope itís OKÖ

I epoxied a bit of G10 to the area, then tapped through both the G10 and the aluminum. My theory is that the G10 stiffens the aluminum in that area, and tapping through both gives the threads more to bite on.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #6 of 9 Old 04-12-2019

Or you could try rivit nuts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivet_nut

OR look at what CPT sells to mount their unit. It might work for you.

Order Autopilot Brackets - CPT Autopilot Inc.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #7 of 9 Old 04-12-2019
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
I would through bolt that base. There should be access to slide your hand down the pedestal. If not, rivets should work.

I second the recommendation to through bolt. You should be able to reach down from the top of the pedestal to get large washers and nuts on the back of a bolt. The ideal solution would be to make a backing plate curved to fit the inside of the pedestal.

AND yes, don't forget to use Tefgel on the SS screws where they pass through or contact aluminum.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-12-2019

Thread it correctly. No problem, done that. But do some practice holes first, if you are new to drill-and-tap.

Self-taping screws are the wrong answer for many things. This is one of those.

---

That said, it appears he followed the Edison instructions (p17).. That is disappointing.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Last edited by pdqaltair; 04-12-2019 at 10:48 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-13-2019

Ev 100 is Raymarine and it might be that you do not have the wheel drive in the center of the wheel and the drive is moving up and down as you turn the wheel this will put a high load on the bracket and cause the bracket screws to loosen. the screws that come with the unit are self taping # 10- screws and they supply the correct drill bit. the screws supplied will hold fine if installed properly and there is no bind. the screws could be re-tapped to 1/4 x 20 screws if the holes are over size for the #10 screws

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in