Raymarine (TackTick) Wireless Speed Stopped Working - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-14-2019 Thread Starter

Raymarine (TackTick) Wireless Speed Stopped Working

I have the Raymarine (TackTick) wireless instruments on my boat and the speed started working intermittently and then stopped. Displays 0. My first thought was this was a dirty transducer. Had my bottom cleaner clean it and got nothing. I had the boat hauled for bottom paint and they again cleaned it. Still not working so maybe its a bad transducer. I have another one that came with my system and so I decided to pull the transducer and clean it and if it didn't work to swap the transducer. Well I went to the thru hull which is under the head, and pulled it up and was surprised that there isn't enough room to pull it out from the top. It was probably installed as one unit and they didn't bother to check if there is enough space to pull the transducer out of the thru hull. Need another inch or 2. So thoughts on what to do other than pulling the boat?

S/V Cuajota - 1975 WD Schock Santana 30

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-15-2019
Seńor Member

Re: Raymarine (TackTick) Wireless Speed Stopped Working

I looked at their website briefly, and the models I saw didn't look like they could be pulled through the thru-hull. I could very easily be mistaken.

If you actually can pull it through, you could perhaps put some access port in the head sole.

If you can't, I imagine the alternative is taking a swim...

Do you have a picture of the model?
post #3 of 5 Old 05-15-2019

It would be highly unusual if the transducer will come out the bottom without destroying it. Time to get out the Sawzall and open up the access in the head sole. Only other 'fix' is haul the boat, remove the transducer and through hull in one piece and relocate the through hull so you'll have unrestricted access to the transducer from the top and laminate/fill in the original puka. If you know who did the original installation might embarrass them into redoing the installation properly.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-23-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
It would be highly unusual if the transducer will come out the bottom without destroying it. Time to get out the Sawzall and open up the access in the head sole. Only other 'fix' is haul the boat, remove the transducer and through hull in one piece and relocate the through hull so you'll have unrestricted access to the transducer from the top and laminate/fill in the original puka. If you know who did the original installation might embarrass them into redoing the installation properly.
Well I had the boatyard put the transducers in the boat in the same locations the original 1975ish instruments had the transducers installed. No need to put more holes in the boat right? Well maybe back then they didn't think about clearance...so the original installer of the instruments is off the hook. So another option...the depict transducer is very easily accessible under the port settee. Maybe do a Triducer there? Just leave the faulty speed transducer in place because its easier and maybe when I pull the boat in a few years have them glass it over.

S/V Cuajota - 1975 WD Schock Santana 30

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-23-2019

We have a TackTick speedo. We routinely remove it to clean off the paddle wheels. Even a small bit of grass or hair can jam them, so we use a toothbrush to make sure all the little spaces are clear. The speedo slides through the hull quite easily and is held in place with a threaded ring. O-rings on the speedo body that slides into the through-hull housing keep the water out. A fountain occurs when the speedo is pulled, so a plug (again with O-rings) gets slipped into the hole and held there with its own threaded ring while we're cleaning the paddles. Installing a unit in the head does not seem like a good idea. Ours is centerline, a few feet forward of the mast.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in