Not all NME-WiFi Gateways are created equal (SiTex MDA-5 AIS) - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TimMarks

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Not all NME-WiFi Gateways are created equal (SiTex MDA-5 AIS)

Not all NMEA->Wifi gateways are created the same.

I wanted a Class B+ AIS transceiver, and ended up buying a SiTex MDA-5, since it had a built in antenna splitter, which would make installation easy, and was a (relatively) good price. As a bonus, it had a WiFi gateway.

I vacillated on the WiFi gateway, since I could see ending up with an obsolete gateway, while the AIS transceiver would be used for years. But I reasoned that I could always disable the WiFi gateway later on.

So what I have found:
1. No capability to disable the WiFi gateway. So if I don't use it, I am wasting battery life running a Wifi network
2. The WiFi gateway only sends three words: AIVDM and AIVDO (AIS information) and GNRMC (Global Minimum Navigation covering GPS position, SOG, Track made good).

So... none of the goodness you would get over a proper NMEA2000-WiFi gateway. No wind speed/direction, AP information, etc.

Guess I should have stuck with my initial choices. Originally looking at Em-Track EM350 or AMECB600. And maybe adding a MEA2000 gateway later like the Yacht Devices YDWG-02 gateway.

I searched online, and I could find no real reviews or forum opinions on any of the AIS transceivers that included WiFi gateways.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Last edited by TimMarks; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock
Re: Not all NME-WiFi Gateways are created equal (SiTex MDA-5 AIS)

Thanks for your report.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 3 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Not all NME-WiFi Gateways are created equal (SiTex MDA-5 AIS)

To be fair to them, they clearly state in the brochure and website that the wifi translates only AIS and position data. As for power usage, the entire operation, including 5W transmissions and wifi, only uses 220mA - 5Ah/day. Turning off the wifi might save 1Ah/day? Power usage doesn't seem to be an issue.

We have a Vesper XB-8000 with a built-in wifi gateway. It will output wirelessly all NMEA0183 sentences it receives, but only select NMEA2000 translations. However, it does translate more N2K than the SciTex, including all common ones such as depth, speed, distance, temperature, pressure, true and apparent wind data, compass data, navigation data, XTE, route/waypoint data, and probably some others I'm forgetting. It does not translate/transmit rudder position, engine data, and many other N2K PGN's not as critical to navigation.

Vesper was continually updating the translation abilities, but seems to have stopped adding new ones a while ago.

If you need absolutely all of your N2K data over wifi, then a dedicated gateway is probably best.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in