Testing a Simrad TP30? - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By wsmurdoch

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Testing a Simrad TP30?

I was gifted a Simrad TP30 tiller pilot in great condition that came with a friends boat. He sold the boat and never used the tiller pilot but was told it worked. He gave me the unit and remote. I got the connector for power and powered it up and it indeed powers on and the motor seems to be ok. Any way to test this unit without fully installing? Iíd have to cut holes and run wires only to find it isnít fully functional. Here is the video of the basic motor test.

https://vimeo.com/347761992

S/V Cuajota - 1975 WD Schock Santana 30

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Re: Testing a Simrad TP30?

In addition to what you have done (proved the motor et al works), you might try powering it up motionless, putting it in AUTO, then turning it just a little to one side then the other, watch it move one way then the other, turn it a lot, watch it move a lot, etc.

If you do not have the "Manual Navico TP 20 & 30 Tillerpilots" and "Tillerpilot TP10, TP20 & TP30 Service Manual", Google them up. Failing that, send me a note with your email address, and I'll send them to you.

I used the remote to steer the (motoring) boat from the bow under the shade of the sails and to bring the boat into the wind for raising and lowering the mainsail.

Bill

Last edited by wsmurdoch; 1 Week Ago at 06:21 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Thanks!! Great tip. Will do. Im hoping it works out. I would mostly use it for singlehanded raising and lowering the main. I do have my boat setup for a chartplotter and navigation as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Just tested it with the above methods and it worked like a champ. Also tested the auto tack feature as well and that works. So it looks like this u it is functioning properly. Ill go forward with the install on the boat. The boat had a tillermaster pilot before so there is a pin on the tiller as well as a plate with the mounting hole in the cockpit. I may have to move a clam cleat that i have never used to make room for it but that shouldnt be too bad...i hope. Lol. Or i can mount it on the opposite side of the boat if thats an issue.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in