Best cold ice maker in small boats - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 09-09-2019

Re: Best cold ice maker in small boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
A buddy, who had no refrigeration aboard, bought one of these several years back. After a few decades of hauling ice in a cooler/icebox, it was like magic for him. He was elated.

However, it seemed it did little more than keep up with his and his wife's immediate ice needs. I got the sense that it was adding a few cubes to a beverage, not filling a glass with ice. I never saw it in operation, only got the excited texts.
i actually have an Engel for refrigeration does an excellent job. I was using an older Engel as a freezer. But, it's starting to draw too many amps so I stopped using it. I never used it much anyway. I keep my drinks cold the the Engel so I don't really need a freezer. Though since I plan to ditch the old Engel I may bring back the ice maker in it's place and add a small cooler to use any excess.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 09-09-2019

Question: How many amps are you willing to spend for iced rum drinks?

Answer: A lot
Minnewaska likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-13-2019

I I have an ice maker like this one that I dug out of a scrap bin and repaired. I used it at home for years and it worked really well. It is pretty well insulated, but the ice does slowly melt, however when it does, it drips back into the sump to be re-frozen again. I am thinking about using it on the boat since we have the perfect spot for it that even has a shore power outlet beside it. I wouldn't waste battery power on it, rather I would only use it on shore power, bag the ice and keep it in the 12v freezer compartment when we are off grid.

https://www.stevestonmarine.com/dome...ch=Ice%20maker

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #14 of 16 Old 09-13-2019

I was coincidentally researching the idea of replacing my front loading fridge, with double drawer style. Frigoboat makes a set up where one drawer is a fridge and the other a freezer.

One of the options listed was to have an ice maker in the freezer. No idea how much ice it makes, or how much room it takes up. Interesting to think of not having a separate ice making appliance, if it doesn’t chew up too much room.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-13-2019

If i had the space, i would have a proper/real icemaker.
Really needed, no. Would be like flavored oxygen...
Just really nice
post #16 of 16 Old 09-16-2019

Suggest try hanging an ice cube plastic bag down the front of the fridge cold plate. Even a fridge cold plate runs to well below freezing when running so if there is reasonable contact between ice bag and cold plate making a few cubes should be possible...

Cheers OzePete

Best cold ice maker in small boats-ice-cube-bag.png

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in