AIS Transciever - Page 14 - SailNet Community
 128Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 136 Old 11-08-2019

Re: AIS Transciever

Dave everything seems to be political these days and YES another thread makes sense when the mods wake up.

I don't doubt that data mining is being done. I am certain that advertisers are doing it. Wife and I recently did some purchases for clothing for my sister who is in assisted living and we have to help her with this sort of stuff. Now I see ads for women's clothing all over my devices! They see me as a target consumer. It's certainly annoying! Do I have to do some more searches for marine electronics to change what they target me with? hahahahaha

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 136 Old 11-08-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

I'm the OP and I do sail on the Chesapeake—amidst tug and barge traffic, cruise ships, freighters, fast powerboats, trawlers, sailboats, fishing boats big and small and the occasional tall ship. My original impetus was that I was sailing on the Patapsco River, just a day sail and a tug called me and essentially asked me to get out of his way. I couldn't see him; he showed up eventually on the internet version of AIS on iSailor on my iPhone. I know that is delayed so my thought was... why not a transceiver.
I appreciate everyone sharing their experience. I really appreciate chef2sail participating because I've watched his posts for a long time, respect his experience sand seamanship and he sails in a similar area.
With all that said, I think I've gotten what I needed from the thread and again, thanks for all the advice.

Jim & Jacquelyn Eaton
s/v Pendragon
Anchorage Marina
Baltimore, MD
post #133 of 136 Old 11-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Pat this is very concerning. I don't doubt that there are people who mine data from your phone etc. How common is this?

My sense is that people are now addicted to connectivity and social media and all the conveniences of e commerce that going cold turkey and getting completely off the "information super highway" where they are these days would make their lives very difficult.

The challenge is how to stay on and minimize the vulnerability.

How does one know if / when they've been mined or their personal data breached? Are there any signs?

Can consumers be protected by some form of "insurance" provided by internet info and services providers?

For example I do use google maps on my phone at times to drive to someplace I don't know the route to. This can be extremely handy and something I don't want to abandon.

Do you have a recommendation which is not cold turkey? Is there any protection you can install on your mobile devices?
I feel this should be a separate thread because it's a huge topic that applies only tangentially to AIS. There is also a wealth of information on line about pro-privacy strategies. To be brief, out of respect to your questions, I'll offer this: If the product is free, YOU are the product. Social media is especially dangerous because it encourages users to generate self-surveillance that is inadequately protected. I agree the products are addictive: they were carefully designed to do just that. Think of Britain's importation of opium into China in the 18th century or the exportation of tobacco, and you'll understand the basic commercial motivation for selling an addictive and unhealthful product to the masses. It's an old story.

Last edited by patrickbryant; 11-08-2019 at 01:07 PM.

post #134 of 136 Old 11-08-2019

Please go to big brother is watching thread and contribute your expertise.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #135 of 136 Old 11-08-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
I'm the OP and I do sail on the Chesapeake—amidst tug and barge traffic, cruise ships, freighters, fast powerboats, trawlers, sailboats, fishing boats big and small and the occasional tall ship. My original impetus was that I was sailing on the Patapsco River, just a day sail and a tug called me and essentially asked me to get out of his way. I couldn't see him; he showed up eventually on the internet version of AIS on iSailor on my iPhone. I know that is delayed so my thought was... why not a transceiver.
I appreciate everyone sharing their experience. I really appreciate chef2sail participating because I've watched his posts for a long time, respect his experience sand seamanship and he sails in a similar area.
With all that said, I think I've gotten what I needed from the thread and again, thanks for all the advice.
Jim you are too kind , everyone knows I’m a curmudgeon.
Glad you got what you needed.
Hope to see you next spring as you And your wife venture down to the Annapolis area

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #136 of 136 Old 11-08-2019

There has always been data collection. Your address was in the phone book. Your checking account number was in every check. Your neighbors k row when you were home and when you were not. You may even try to mess with the data, by leaving a light on. The scale is huge now, but the idea of people watching you is not new.

There are two new problems. First, you don’t realize you’re being watched. This can be fixed. Second, the amazing amount of watching g that can be done is more efficient and more likely to yield results. Targeted marking is not a threat. Who cares. It’s only a concern what people do with data, not what computers do with it. People suck.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in