AIS Transciever - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 128Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 136 Old 10-29-2019

Re: AIS Transciever

Another satisfied Vesper Marine AIS owner. mine is WatchMate model. Networked with my chart plotter and autopilot. Easy to use and reliable.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 136 Old 10-29-2019

Hey,

I installed AIS receive so I could easily determine the course of the Bridgeport Port Jeff ferry. I like to sail at night and the AIS allows me to track those large fast moving vessels that don't want to deviate from their standard route. Commercial vessels are required to have AIS.

What I find irritating that the boats that cause me the most problems are the commercial and charter fishing boats. They also hail from Port Jeff and fish in the waters around Mt. Sinai. Unlike the ferries they move in variable courses, seem to make random course changes, start and stop all the time, and DONT broadcast AIS.

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Here is where things fall apart. If people don't broadcast, then AIS receive-only is useless. You get use out of yours only because others are transmitting. If everyone felt like you, then you will have wasted money on a AIS receiver.

Mark
SanderO likes this.

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 136 Old 10-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Those are great examples of where itís helpful and useful. The AIS should have given you miles and miles of warning.

My caveat is that it may give you a false sense of security as most of the vessels donít have AIS. A radar would spot them as well as both the ship and the tug.

You did also have available alternatives to the AIS. Maybe also.consider getting the CP out from the cabin or using a phone / iPad with a Navionics or similar Ap. That way you could tell if you were in the Channel. The depth finder should also have been able to assist you with that.
Sure, as I said, there are alternatives. I could have taken out the phone and started OpenCPN on it. But in the howling storm and rain so strong that I would have feared for the waterproofing of my phone? If one drop of water had gotten into my phone, the damage would have been more than the whole AIS installation cost me (yes, I have an expensive phone).

As for radar, that is indeed another alternative. I have essentially no experience operating radar (except for testing; ironically I was trained as a radar technician in an earlier life) but my understanding is that the signal isn't so great in the midst of a squall. Probably still good enough to not overlook a hunking container ship but with AIS here is much less of an issue because of the different frequency range (VHF).

Again, I don't say you have to have AIS in the Chessie but I am glad I do.
CVAT likes this.

post #44 of 136 Old 10-30-2019

When I upgrade my electronics (likely this winter), I will install an AIS transceiver. I specifically want the commercial shipping to see me and more specifically in low viz. We typically fly a radar reflector, but have been caught without one, when the fog rolled in.

It's disconcerting to hear, but not see, a large ship overtaking, even seeing them on radar and not knowing if they see us. With AIS, they could hail us directly or we could hail them.

With various shipping channels and a propensity for fog around here, this is a common event. We have MARPA on our radar. More than once, one of the Fast Ferries are approaching from behind at 25 knots and we're barely moving. It's remarkable that they don't slow down in the fog, but they don't. We'd be run over like an ant and I'd really like to be able to confirm they have us identified.
flyrod likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #45 of 136 Old 10-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
... but you do see yachts with their radars turning on cloudless days.
I have this vague recollection that there is a requirement for it. I can't recall if it's length, tonnage or commercial status. Most of the mega yachts are technically commercial.

If I'm even correct, I don't think it applies in the anchorage, but I'm sure they are monitoring vessel distances nearby for swing or dragging. Those guys are all running the generator 24/7, so I'd do it too, if I had unlimited power.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #46 of 136 Old 10-30-2019

^^^ Its a rule 5 thing. Its not really prescribed, but most commercial sailors understand it to mean if you have a RADAR it should be on

every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.
SanderO and Minnewaska like this.
post #47 of 136 Old 10-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
When I upgrade my electronics (likely this winter), I will install an AIS transceiver. I specifically want the commercial shipping to see me and more specifically in low viz.
Where you live, you will find another great use for AIS - seeing ships around blind corners navigating restricted waters or with restricted maneuverability. No more coming around the bend and being surprised.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #48 of 136 Old 10-30-2019

Military donít turn on their transmit except rarely. If you arenít transmitting and just have a receive unit both of you are blind. Thereís been much talk about the chessie. Our approach to the bridge tunnel is most commonly after no landfalls for some days. We usually arenít current with exclusion zones. We have on multiple occasions been raised on vhf by name and locale and told current exclusion zone information.
Similarly have had conversations started with us while approaching Bath, Maine. As well as in the East River.
Agree that if you daysailing in a bay with no commercial activity AIS is unnecessary. If you are coastal cruising the US believe a transceiver is worthwhile. Believe itís just as important to be seen as see. Iíve only been a long term cruiser for the last few years. Much of that coastal cruising has been in an area where AIS is even rarer than in the chessie. But even in that setting it is extremely useful.
Think of this like seatbelts. They are a PIA. I put mine on every time. They were actuated once in 50 years of driving. So if you vacation on your boat or take weekend mini cruises would have a clear eye and make your decision as risk v benefit. Is your life and boat worth a few dinners/drinks out with your significant other.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #49 of 136 Old 10-30-2019

Good post, Out.

I think the US Navy has now been instructed to turn their AIS on in congested waters (in peaceful ops anyway).

Jeanneau 54DS

post #50 of 136 Old 10-30-2019
Learning the HARD way...

Back to the topics raised by the original post;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
I'm starting to think about over the winter purchases and gear for next year. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has installed an AIS transceiver recently. I'm hoping the prices are coming down.
I stated earler that I have a Vesper Marine XB-8000, and it has worked flawlessly. I consider it a great upgrade, and speaking for myself only, I would not sail coastally without an AIS Class B Transceiver. I want to see other vessels, I want to know their speed and heading, and I want them to see me. Sure I share the water with a lot of yahoos that don't have an AIS transceiver, but there are also a lot of windsurfers, and kite surfers and logs, and lobster pots, and kyaks, and other hazards that I try to watch for when I am at the helm. I have noticed that a lot more boats (probably twice as many) are broadcasting AIS information than when I installed it three years ago.

I don't have Radar on my boat, and doubt that I ever will. I don't have the battery capacity to support it, and on EVERY boat that I have sailed on that was equipped with Radar (teaching ASA, doing deliveries, charter Captain, and member of a sailing club), the Radar did not work.

Regarding the price; buying an AIS unit is like buying an anchor. While anchors are NOT federally required equipment, most of us have one. We buy the anchor to keep us out of trouble, and we must believe that whichever one that we buy will work when we need it (thus the many anchor wars). While price may be a concern for some of us (or we would all have polished stainless steel anchors hanging off our bow), it is not, nor should it be the primary concern.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in