AIS Transciever - SailNet Community
 128Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 136 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Dock
AIS Transciever

I'm starting to think about over the winter purchases and gear for next year. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has installed an AIS transceiver recently. I'm hoping the prices are coming down.

Jim & Jacquelyn Eaton
s/v Pendragon
Anchorage Marina
Baltimore, MD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 136 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: AIS Transciever

Just did a search using google for "ais transceiver" Prices are coming down, saw one for $319.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #3 of 136 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I installed a Vesper Marine XB-6000 2 years ago. It's been rock solid, I am very happy with it.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC

post #4 of 136 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
I installed a Vesper Marine XB-6000 2 years ago. It's been rock solid, I am very happy with it.
Same here, but it was a Vesper XB8000 and something like 5 or 6 years ago. Installed the thing, configured with the radio (hardwired) and computer/tablet/phone (built-in wifi) and never had to do anything more. Working without a hiccup
post #5 of 136 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I have been watching AIS transceiver prices for about five years and prices for FCC certified equipment have not moved significantly in that time (it is still about $450 for a basic Class B unit and $700 for a wi-fi equipped and/or SOTDMA Class B unit). The low-cost units you see online are usually from foreign sellers and are not FCC compliant. Some people buy them anyway, but I wouldn’t take the risk. I’ve decided that until they either come down more in price or I decide to sail outside the Chesapeake, that I’m fine with having a receive-only unit.

I find having receive-only capability is plenty helpful in avoiding shipping traffic and enhancing general situational awareness and that adding a transceiver probably wouldn’t be helpful in avoiding my bigger fear (and the more common collision type in the Chesapeake) which is being run down by a go-fast powerboat. If the power boat operator is drunk and/or reckless and driving erratically at high speed, there’s neither much value in having their AIS data nor in sending mine out.
SanderO and chef2sail like this.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #6 of 136 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

If you are just looking for a simple real time AIS without transmitting properties and have a good chartplotter with an NMEA capable backbone I’d suggest just adding a Standard Horizon and hooking it into it

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Standard...SABEgIoAfD_BwE

There would be two reasons for buying a class B which transmits your position. One you do a lot of offshore sailing or sailing where there is a huge amount of ship traffic ie NYC. Two , you want to have others see where you are and enjoy the AIS novelty. The Vesper is the best I have seen for this and runs about $800.
Understand you will need seperAte antennae also

If you just want to show your position on a general info basis and don’t care if it’s real time....then just get the
On Course or Boat Becacon Ap

I agree with 4arch that here on the Chessie AIS will only cover a small amount of boats .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #7 of 136 Old 3 Weeks Ago

And if you want to see AIS targets on a smart device the app Marine Traffic will work.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #8 of 136 Old 3 Weeks Ago
dadio917

I also recommend vesper marine 8000. We have it wet up to feed our main Simard system and also as a core of a backup nav system with windows computer (coastal explorer) or IOS device. Also have their alarm system which is controlled off IOS or droid. It's worked flawlessly. So nice when your in a dicey situation to have a ship call us by name and work out a plan. Just sailed Hawaii and back and used the alarm system to let us know if a ship was close. But alarm never came on as they could see us on AIS and stayed miles away.

One other mention is their customer support. Any time I've had an issue or question I'd get it answered over email in hours.

Maybe more expensive but to the features, connectivity (NEMA, USB, wifi), and customer support you cant go wrong.
eherlihy likes this.

Dadio917
Valiant 39
post #9 of 136 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I follow friends on marine traffic. Sometimes do this on the boat so have the transceiver running at the same time. This occurs on the occasions we have internet (so we’re coastal). Have found marine traffic is good but extraordinarily slow. Will often not update in a useful period of time when you’re concerned about a intercept or collision avoidance. Believe it is NOT meant to be used as a navigational aid.

In busy areas (New York harbor, chessie near military and such) have had military and commercial traffic call me on 16,9,13). The call is usually a curtesy call or to state intentions. But these calls are useful and clearly occur because I was identified by my transmitting AIS.

Similarly when offshore transmitting is very important. Ships tend to pick up on your AIS not radar and definitely not visual.

At this point of time think having a transceiver is more important to safety than a chart plotter (pad will serve) or radar. Think everyone in anything bigger than a dinghy should get one.
eherlihy, SanderO, CVAT and 2 others like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #10 of 136 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
I follow friends on marine traffic. Sometimes do this on the boat so have the transceiver running at the same time. This occurs on the occasions we have internet (so we’re coastal). Have found marine traffic is good but extraordinarily slow. Will often not update in a useful period of time when you’re concerned about a intercept or collision avoidance. Believe it is NOT meant to be used as a navigational aid.

In busy areas (New York harbor, chessie near military and such) have had military and commercial traffic call me on 16,9,13). The call is usually a curtesy call or to state intentions. But these calls are useful and clearly occur because I was identified by my transmitting AIS.

Similarly when offshore transmitting is very important. Ships tend to pick up on your AIS not radar and definitely not visual.

At this point of time think having a transceiver is more important to safety than a chart plotter (pad will serve) or radar. Think everyone in anything bigger than a dinghy should get one.
Can’t agree with this at all. Radar is more important. There never will be a mandate for recreational vessels requiring them to have AIS....therefore

Since the majority won’t have it they will be dark on your AIS screen. However radar will spot them.

We have traveled the NJ coast many times at night. I can’t count how many times we have encountered boats who are “dark” fishing with no AIS signature from our Vesper. They were “visible” on radar though and the “dangerous target” went off.

Jim for your purposes the Marine Traffic ap should suffice as you spend most of your time in the Bay. The large ships are confined to the channel north of the Bridge so I doubt you’ll have the need to raise and talk to them.

Honestly the only time we use it is around NY , C& D Canal entrance on the Delaware and the entrance to the Chesapeake where there is a large movement and anchoring of ships

We got the Vesper because we do some offshore work. It can be a great value there.
SanderO, 4arch and elliowb like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in