non-Raymarine products on Raymarine SeaTalk network? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-05-2020 Thread Starter

non-Raymarine products on Raymarine SeaTalk network?

Need to replace the primary pedestal mounted multifunction display (Raymarine a95) on a boat with virtually all Raymarine electronics (radar, ais, autopilot, wind vane, etc.) installed on RM SeaTalk network. Is there any point in looking at manufacturers other than Raymarine for a new MFD, or am a just asking for headaches trying to make them work with other RM components on the SeaTalk network?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-05-2020

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: non-Raymarine products on Raymarine SeaTalk network?

You can create a NMEA 2000 backbone to have all the components talk to each other and use other manufacturers . Simplicity would be use a Raymarine product if you like the MFD they have . Most large brands are very similar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #3 of 11 Old 02-05-2020
Learning the HARD way...

Raymarine Seatalk NG is NMEA 2000 with smaller diameter NMEA 2000 connectors than most other vendors use. The smaller diameter cables makes them easier to pull through the boat. Integrating it with other NMEA 2000 devices should require an adapter cable. I have a Vesper Marine AIS transponder integrated into the Seatalk network on my boat, and it works flawlessly.

The a95 is a touch screen ONLY MFD. I do not reccomend touchscreen only at the pedestal or binnacle of a sailboat because the touch screen will get confused when wet (rain or splashes). An Axiom Pro might be a better choice.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
wingman10 (02-05-2020)

post #4 of 11 Old 02-05-2020 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Raymarine Seatalk NG is NMEA 2000 with smaller diameter NMEA 2000 connectors than most other vendors use. The smaller diameter cables makes them easier to pull through the boat. Integrating it with other NMEA 2000 devices should require an adapter cable. I have a Vesper Marine AIS transponder integrated into the Seatalk network on my boat, and it works flawlessly.

The a95 is a touch screen ONLY MFD. I do not reccomend touchscreen only at the pedestal or binnacle of a sailboat because the touch screen will get confused when wet (rain or splashes). An Axiom Pro might be a better choice.
I agree that touchscreen-only is an issue, as is cost. Pro is another $1k+. Also have a Navpod with 9inch a95 MFD and two i70s, so i don't think there is room or adapter plate available to go from a95 to Axiom Pro.

I've got a couple of plan B's. We've got a small Garmin chartplotter installed below (not on the network) and I always sail with a backup nav package on my iPhone and iPad.

There is also a Raymarine iPhone app that mimics the Pro keyboard and allows you to control the MFD via wifi. Have never tried that and have no idea how practical that might be since you have to be able to lock the touchscreen and the iPhone is going to get wet, too.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-05-2020

Hello,

The touch screen of my B&G vulcan 7 works fine in the rain.

My friend has a Raymarine plotter, I forget the model but it's pretty new. It has buttons and touch screen. I don't recall issues with the touch screen in the rain on that unit either.

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #6 of 11 Old 02-05-2020

Put any two vendors in the same room and they will always blame the other guy, whenever there is an issue. It can and does work to integrate vendors, but you’re the test pilot.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-05-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Put any two vendors in the same room and they will always blame the other guy, whenever there is an issue. It can and does work to integrate vendors, but you’re the test pilot.
This sounds like it should be true, but after 8 years of mixed vendor systems on two boats, no vendor has blamed the others when I needed technical support or service on their part of the system.

They all do blame power supply and network topology first, however.

As for touchscreen only, I used to share the opinion of not wanting this. However, we have had a Garmin and a Furuno touchscreen only, and neither have given any problems or presented any issue in use.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #8 of 11 Old 02-05-2020
Learning the HARD way...

RE: touchscreen - I have a RayMarine eS78 at the helm and the touchscreen sometimes gets confused when it has rain or spray on it. In November 2019 I did a delivery on a boat with a Garmin touch screen unit - not sure of the model. It was bitterly cold, and needed to wear gloves while at the helm. The touchscreen did not respond if I was wearing full fingered sailing gloves. YMMV

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #9 of 11 Old 02-05-2020

I've got a Garmin connected to ST 60's that works well, I don't know if RM Radar can be connected to MFD's from other brands, above my paygrade. I think Ray uses some kind of ethernet but haven't researched it enough yet to figure out compatibility.

"Just call me TB"
post #10 of 11 Old 02-05-2020

Radar is specific to the chartplotter. That is a good point for the OP. If he wants to keep his current radome, then he needs to stick with Raymarine. If his radome is too old for RM's new plotters, then he can go with any manufacturer combination, but will need to replace the radome regardless.

Gloves are a good point about touchscreens. If one needs to use gloves, then touchscreens are not a viable option.

Some touchscreen plotters have optional control pads for them.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in