SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   Replacing depth sounder (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/85682-replacing-depth-sounder.html)

nodders 04-01-2012 02:01 PM

Replacing depth sounder

I have a somewhat ancient Danavigate 3300 depth sounder (made in denmark)that I think works but the display is fried. I gather Danavigate no longer exists so a replacement is not likely...so, now to replace.

Question - I imagine the tranducer would have to be replaced to match the new instrument - but can I cheat on the wiring and use the existing wiring to avoid stringing wired through awkward places etc. In other words, just replace the tranducer and instrument and hook up with existing wiring?

nodders 04-01-2012 02:05 PM

Re: Replacing depth sounder

I stand to be corrected. I think Danavigate does exist but the only references I can find to it are in Danish, which doesn't do me a whole lot of good....

HUGOSALT 04-01-2012 06:03 PM

Call Airmar, they have manufactured a majority of the transducers
since the early eighties, maybe you can buy a compatable new
instrument and not change out transducer/wires.

Ilenart 04-02-2012 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodders (Post 853322)
Question - I imagine the tranducer would have to be replaced to match the new instrument - but can I cheat on the wiring and use the existing wiring to avoid stringing wired through awkward places etc. In other words, just replace the tranducer and instrument and hook up with existing wiring?

Why not, try it and if it works, no problem. If it does'nt you will have to run the wires through.

I did the same with replacing an old English unit with a Raymarine thru hull. Works fine.

Ilenart

dacap06 04-02-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodders (Post 853325)
I stand to be corrected. I think Danavigate does exist but the only references I can find to it are in Danish, which doesn't do me a whole lot of good....

The answer for you, then, is to run the page through Google Translate. Paste the URL for your Danavagate web page in the box and then press the translate button. Google does not always get syntax and grammar right but the resulting text is imminently readable.

JustinCook 04-05-2012 09:19 AM

Slightly off topic but why is it you can buy a fish finder for under $100 but not just a straight depth gauge?