Ethanol in gasoline questions - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 100 Old 01-23-2014
islander bahama 24

Re: Ethanol in gasoline questions

Non ethanol fuel is available at most marinas here in Washington but here's something to think about the model a car was designed by Henry ford to run on pure ethanol not mixed with gasoline ethanol or grain alcohol you know white lightening or ever clear is a good renewable resource. The biggest problem with ethanol is that it will breakdown and eventually dissolve rubber like hoses and gaskets so you need better hoses and gaskets in your fuel delivery and carb systems a fuel water separator is also a good idea for installed tanks and inboard applications.

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 100 Old 01-23-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kptmorgan04 View Post
This was the same recommendation a friend of mine made, to purchase high octane, ethanol free aviation fuel. I could purchase at a premium at some specialty marine suppliers or at a local airport. He said it would greatly reduce the clogging of carborators, specifically when speaking to small (2.5-4hp) outboards. Can anyone provide feedback to this?
Certainly AVGAS is (and likely always will be) ethanol-free for the simple reason that if the engine fails in a car, it's next stop isn't the ground.

The stuff is expensive, highly quality-controlled, contains anti-gelling agents (not that clogged carburettors are a common problem), and might or might not also contain TEL depending on where you get it from... but be aware it is at least 100 octane, so don't use it unless the manufacturer of your engine says has rated it for premium-grade fuel.

-
A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office
post #23 of 100 Old 01-23-2014

Ethanol fuel should never be used on a boat. It is not just a matter of the expense of rebuilding a carb, it is a major safety issue and anybody who pushed that crap on us should be sued by those injured or the families of those killed when it ate the fuel lines of boats leaked into bilges and caused fires and explosions.
It is a matter of basic safety, do not use it. I used it for a couple years and had constant problems and had to rebuild the carb 3X on my 90 hp yamaha. Vowing to never use it again, I simply will not go boating if that is all that is available.
When the E90 advocates try to sell us their BS, tell em the reality of how dangerous their crap is in boats. Fortunately, here in FL, many stations now see that boaters are happy to pay more for "real" fuel so I can easily find it even far from a marina.
Advocates of E90 should be put on a small boat fueled by E90 with a bad thunderstorm approaching. Maybe it'll start, maybe it won't.

post #24 of 100 Old 01-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
Ethanol fuel should never be used on a boat. It is not just a matter of the expense of rebuilding a carb, it is a major safety issue and anybody who pushed that crap on us should be sued by those injured or the families of those killed when it ate the fuel lines of boats leaked into bilges and caused fires and explosions.
It is a matter of basic safety, do not use it. I used it for a couple years and had constant problems and had to rebuild the carb 3X on my 90 hp yamaha. Vowing to never use it again, I simply will not go boating if that is all that is available.
When the E90 advocates try to sell us their BS, tell em the reality of how dangerous their crap is in boats. Fortunately, here in FL, many stations now see that boaters are happy to pay more for "real" fuel so I can easily find it even far from a marina.
Advocates of E90 should be put on a small boat fueled by E90 with a bad thunderstorm approaching. Maybe it'll start, maybe it won't.
Wow, that's pretty severe. I doubt that the people who had their aquifers destroyed by MTBE contamination would agree with you.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall, MD
post #25 of 100 Old 01-24-2014

What with incredible amounts of organic lead no longer being dumped into our environment, it's little wonder that the latest generation is growing up a bit smarter and less brain damaged than the last gen ( from 40's to 1990's) The technological changes needed to use a new fuel with ethanol added and tetra ethyl lead removed is a small price to pay for smarter kids.I'm just surprised my generation did as well as it did in spite of the politicians.
-OvO- and Minnesail like this.
post #26 of 100 Old 01-24-2014

I've been told by two outboard mechanics to make the effort to buy aviation fuel for my 2 stroke 6 hp outboard. Fortunately, there is a small airport on the way to the lake, but it's $6 a gallon...

1988 C22 Owner
post #27 of 100 Old 01-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
What with incredible amounts of organic lead no longer being dumped into our environment, it's little wonder that the latest generation is growing up a bit smarter and less brain damaged than the last gen
Uhhh....Captain - there's a Mr. Beiber and a Ms. Cyrus and some lady who goes by "Gaga" waiting to speak to you if you have a few minutes....
Classic30 likes this.

The web makes everywhere the same place. - Fred Reed, from "Fred on Everything"
post #28 of 100 Old 01-24-2014

A boat is not a car. If a car's engine stops, you simply pull over to the side of the road.
If a boat engine fails 20 miles offshore while trying to get home ahead of approaching thunderstorms it is truly life threatening. If a fuel line on a car leaks a tiny bit, no problem, if a fuel line on a boat leaks vapor into the bilge, it is a major crisis and you might need to abandon ship before it blows up.
Cars can have sealed fuel systems but a boat cannot. As a matter of safety, a boat fuel system must be vented allowing humidity to get in, not to mention the nearly 99% humidity environment it works in.
Ethanol fuel has not saved an ounce of fuel in the USA because so much E10 contaminated with water has to be thrown away. This is true of both auto and marine fuels. However, go to any marine repair shop and ask how much E10 they throw away and you will be astonished. OH, and it is considered hazardous waste too.
Even the newest engines are unreliable running on E10 because of the water problem. When somebody is going 15 miles offshore, they totally fill their tanks as a matter of safety. They dont think, 'It's only 15 miles out and 15 back so it should only take 10 gallons", as a matter of safety, they fill their 20 gal tank and then fill two 5 gal jerry cans too. After their trip, the boat is likely to sit for weeks before the next trip allowing the fuel to go bad.
In my opinion, it should be illegal to put ethanol based fuel in a boat and if you advocate its use on boats, you have blood on your hands.

David OHara
post #29 of 100 Old 01-24-2014
Maine Dub

What CTHoops said. I change out my outboard fuel once a month. My fuel injected car is built for that crap so it burns it ok.

Al Pickering
PSC 34 #286
Coorie Doon
post #30 of 100 Old 01-24-2014

It can also be shown that the use of ethanol caused more aquifier problems than MTBE ever did because the buried fuel tanks were not meant to be used with ethanol. Remember a few yrs ago when you saw so many fuel tanks being dug up? They were fiberglass tanks that began leaking when filled with E10. The number of tanks caused to leak by E10 is far greater than the number of aquifier problems due to MTBE because MTBE did not break down fiberglass or rubber seals. Any leakage of MTBE was from defective tanks, not good tanks destroyed by E10.
Modern marinas do not have problems with leaking underground tanks in Florida as they are required to be above ground for marinas (because marinas flood in storms).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in