Do you shop around for Diesel fuel? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 Old 06-03-2014

Re: Do you shop around for Diesel fuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Depending on where I fll up prices can vary by up to $1.50 a gallon. Yes I consider saving $750 a tank worth the trip.
Wow, 500 gallons of fuel! Sure your not a stinkpot? Don't think I've used close to 500 gallons in the last 6 or 7 years of cruising.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 Old 06-03-2014
Mermaid Hunter

You have three easy choices in Annapolis - Annapolis Landing Marina on Back Creek and Annapolis City Marina and Yacht Basin in Annapolis Harbor. It is definitely worth calling around. Check for Boat/US and volume discounts (usually start at 100 gallons).

I usually call around before weekend cruises - sometimes fuel is cheaper in out of the way places. I only buy fuel a couple of times a year unless we're out cruising so I always check prices.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #13 of 35 Old 06-03-2014
bell ringer

I read a story a few years ago in "Yachting" before I learned that magazine wasn't for me.

It talked about going further up the harbor when looking for fuel instead of stopping at the first place. It said the price price would be less there because that was what they had to go to get people to take the time to travel further. By doing so you could save $500 on fuel for the weekend. I figured if someone was going to be able to save $500/weekend due to a lower fuel price the magazine wasn't talking about people like me.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

post #14 of 35 Old 06-03-2014

ValvTect marine diesel already has bio-guard and other additives, which I find worth buying. It means their fuel is less likely to be contaminated in their own tank, regardless of whether I add the stuff upon fueling. One should be careful, however, as adding more is actually bad.

That said, I buy diesel at the most convenient place when cruising. Could be wherever I am, if I'm at a quarter tank, which is my min. It could be whomever has the easiest fuel dock to land, but they are all generally set up to be pretty approachable.

In any case, I rarely shop the price, other than to try not to be in a position to need fuel where I know it will be unusually expensive. ie Nantucket.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 35 Old 06-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
hahaha.... I am just buying fuel for OPB. That is the best part.
Well, then why don't you ask them, unstead of us? :-)

When bringing FREE RANGE CHICKEN north, you should have thought of this before entering Maryland, you could have saved a fair amount by topping off the tanks in Virginia... The prices in Little Creek would likely be considerably lower than the Annapolis area, Cape Charles and Rudee Inlet probably even better still, although with that boat's draft, getting alongside the fuel docks in either spot could be problematic...

Perhaps you should consider enlisting the services of a 'Fuel Broker', that's what a lot of the larger yachts have been doing for years... :-)
RichH likes this.
post #16 of 35 Old 06-03-2014
Schooner Captain

every time. I call, search active captain, look on the internet. I have on several occasions saved 80 cents a gallon. times 100 gallons....

post #17 of 35 Old 06-03-2014
Swab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Depending on where I fll up prices can vary by up to $1.50 a gallon. Yes I consider saving $750 a tank worth the trip.
Pull into the wrong fuel dock up here and you may pay 50% more. (Not a typo, FIFTY percent).

Fortunately, with a little planning you can usually find reasonably priced fuel without going out of your way.

post #18 of 35 Old 06-03-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
Pull into the wrong fuel dock up here and you may pay 50% more. (Not a typo, FIFTY percent).

Fortunately, with a little planning you can usually find reasonably priced fuel without going out of your way.
A rare insight into Alaska cruising!
I like the videos!

post #19 of 35 Old 06-03-2014
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Fifty percent more? Of course I'd pay 50% more. It helps keep the hoi-polio away from the fuel dock. (WEG)
post #20 of 35 Old 06-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
ValvTect marine diesel already has bio-guard and other additives, which I find worth buying. It means their fuel is less likely to be contaminated in their own tank, regardless of whether I add the stuff upon fueling. One should be careful, however, as adding more is actually bad.

That said, I buy diesel at the most convenient place when cruising. Could be wherever I am, if I'm at a quarter tank, which is my min. It could be whomever has the easiest fuel dock to land, but they are all generally set up to be pretty approachable.

In any case, I rarely shop the price, other than to try not to be in a position to need fuel where I know it will be unusually expensive. ie Nantucket.
That's pretty much my approach to buying diesel as well.

The other thing I use is the funnel with the filter built into it. I got into that habit in the Bahamas, but it is amazing what it screens out here in the US on some occasions.

Lots of different people make them now.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 06-03-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in