Restarting Engine after 5 years - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 07-13-2014 Thread Starter

Re: Restarting Engine after 5 years

Well, I tried the wd-40 in the intake and when I spray that in while cranking, the engine catches briefly. So does this mean that it is a fuel issue (ie. fuel not getting to the injectors?

I'm confident that the fuel is getting to the secondary filter after the electric fuel lift pump, but before the injection pump. How do I determine if fuel is getting past the injection pump?

thanks for all the help everyone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 07-13-2014

dfinitely fuel...make sure its getting to the injectors like previously mentioned

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 31 Old 07-13-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Fuel tank valve open? RW pumps often won't self prime when just cranking if the lines have drained..
Hi Maine Sail,
Once it starts up for real will it eventually prime?

post #24 of 31 Old 07-13-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
dfinitely fuel...make sure its getting to the injectors like previously mentioned
I guess it must be; I'm looking through the service manual though and there is nothing that talks about bleeding the fuel system since it has an electric fuel pump and is 'self-priming'.
I used to own a boat with a Yanmar 3GM30 and I recall bleeding that every time I changed fuel filters and sometimes for no particular reason I could tell. I got very good at bleeding the Yanmar, but not sure how to go about the Westerbeke.
christian.hess likes this.

post #25 of 31 Old 07-13-2014

no matter what they say you need to reprime especially after sitting that long...

I had a 2gm same deal anytime ANYTHING got touched on the fuel system you had to prime...(bleed)

while the electric pump helps its by no means a self bleeding system...that is darn near impossible

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
post #26 of 31 Old 07-13-2014

Turn on the electric fuel pump. Crack open the banjo fittings at each injector one at a time and collect the fizzing fuel (if air is in the line) at the fitting into an absorbent towel until he fizzing stops then torque the banjo fitting bolt back down. Repeat as needed if the engine doesn't start.
christian.hess likes this.

The web makes everywhere the same place. - Fred Reed, from "Fred on Everything"
The Following User Says Thank You to fryewe For This Useful Post:
mbowser (07-13-2014)
post #27 of 31 Old 07-13-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Turn on the electric fuel pump. Crack open the banjo fittings at each injector one at a time and collect the fizzing fuel (if air is in the line) at the fitting into an absorbent towel until he fizzing stops then torque the banjo fitting bolt back down. Repeat as needed if the engine doesn't start.
Excellent, I will try that tomorrow. Thanks.

post #28 of 31 Old 07-13-2014
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowser View Post
Hi Maine Sail,
Once it starts up for real will it eventually prime?
Yes if should. Sometimes it might takes some revs, if the pump is worn, but usually it spits pretty quick...

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #29 of 31 Old 07-14-2014 Thread Starter

I want to give everyone a HUGE Thanks for all the help. Without everyone's help I would have given up and shelled out probably hundreds of dollars for a diesel tech. to make a house call and get it going. I owe everyone beers or beverage of choice.

I skipped out of work early today because I wanted to get to work on everyone's suggestions and within 10 minutes of arriving at the boat I had it started and it ran like it never skipped a beat. I ended up finding another banjo bolt on the low pressure side of the system and cracked that while the ignition was in the 'on' position (electric lift pump activates at that position). I closed it up once fuel spit out and then cranked the engine and it fired up right away, I didn't even have to pre-heat with the glow plugs (it is ~90 in the shed though).

The raw water pump picked up right away as well, it just need more rpms (as Maine Sail indicated)

Here's a link to a video with the sweet sound of the 'beast' running for the first time in 5 years...

fryewe, deniseO30, jzk and 2 others like this.

post #30 of 31 Old 07-14-2014

HELL YEAH MAN! congrats

sounds good too

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in