Beneteau shaft coupling - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 Old 11-04-2014

Re: Beneteau shaft coupling

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalashn View Post
That's right. Both ends are tapered. Seems to be a standard thing with Beneteau.

Interesting... Yup, that's definitely a new one, on me...

:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 11-04-2014
One of None

could a machine shop make one for that cost or there about?

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #13 of 27 Old 11-05-2014

I think you can get one from Buck with no shaft hole at all. Having a shop drill one of those to match your shaft should be cheaper than having them build it from scratch. Or you could get one with smallest hole they have and have the shop open it up. Buck couplers can be had for about $60 plus shipping online.

post #14 of 27 Old 11-05-2014 Thread Starter

I would only trust a machine shop if I could bring the shaft and have it fit and faced. Unfortunately this would require removing the rudder, which I am not planning to do. So it looks like the best option will be OE part.
post #15 of 27 Old 11-05-2014
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
That's right. Both ends are tapered. Seems to be a standard thing with Beneteau.

Ah... Sorry old son, but that's definitely not a Beneteau practice nor a practice by any other builder /manufacturer. What you have there is the outboard end of a shaft. I suspect that at some time in the past a former owner decided to swap out the prop and discovered that the stock taper on the 25mm shaft didn't match up with the taper in the new prop. Rather than swapping out the prop, he/she just had the inboard end of the prop machined to the prop's taper and threaded for the new prop note (presumably less costly than buying a new shaft or swapping out the replacement prop). The reason you had such difficulty extracting the shaft from the coupling was, undoubtedly, due to a "force fit" (I'm sure that will have done wonders for the bearings in the transmission--expect/look for problems there n the future- and the motor mounts). Shafts are, normally, held into couplings with a snug fit and a couple of set screws. That's so because 99% of the time, the prop is pushing the shaft into the coupling and only occasionally trying to pull itself out (with far less thrus/"pull"). If you want to do that "fix" properly, get yourself a new Aquamet 25 mm shaft (in your little boat likely less than $500 USD), have the outboard end milled and threaded to match your prop, and pitch that old shaft in the trash.

In future, to "extract" a shaft from a coupling, loosen the mount and insert a short chunk of 3/4" pipe between the end of the shaft and the boss of the coupling mount on the transmission. Hold it in place with your finger-tips or a pare of forceps while you, or a helper gently tighten the coupler mounting bolts (in a star pattern) and, with in a few tightening cycles, that shaft will slide out without any brain damage.

Use your head instead of your bicep's, you'll do better.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #16 of 27 Old 11-06-2014

While looking on E bay for a new shaft for my boat, I saw several with both ends tapered. Listings said they were out of ski boats, so they do exist and couplers should be available, but maybe not to fit your gear.
post #17 of 27 Old 11-06-2014
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Ah... Sorry old son, but that's definitely not a Beneteau practice nor a practice by any other builder /manufacturer. What you have there is the outboard end of a shaft. I suspect that at some time in the past a former owner decided to swap out the prop and discovered that the stock taper on the 25mm shaft didn't match up with the taper in the new prop. Rather than swapping out the prop, he/she just had the inboard end of the prop machined to the prop's taper and threaded for the new prop note (presumably less costly than buying a new shaft or swapping out the replacement prop). The reason you had such difficulty extracting the shaft from the coupling was, undoubtedly, due to a "force fit" (I'm sure that will have done wonders for the bearings in the transmission--expect/look for problems there n the future- and the motor mounts). Shafts are, normally, held into couplings with a snug fit and a couple of set screws. That's so because 99% of the time, the prop is pushing the shaft into the coupling and only occasionally trying to pull itself out (with far less thrus/"pull"). If you want to do that "fix" properly, get yourself a new Aquamet 25 mm shaft (in your little boat likely less than $500 USD), have the outboard end milled and threaded to match your prop, and pitch that old shaft in the trash.

In future, to "extract" a shaft from a coupling, loosen the mount and insert a short chunk of 3/4" pipe between the end of the shaft and the boss of the coupling mount on the transmission. Hold it in place with your finger-tips or a pare of forceps while you, or a helper gently tighten the coupler mounting bolts (in a star pattern) and, with in a few tightening cycles, that shaft will slide out without any brain damage.

Wow, and said with such authority, too bad it is wrong...

This is done quite widely and lots of builders use a double taper shaft. About half the shafts my local shop builds are double taper.. All the later Sabre's and all the Back Cove and Sabre Express boats are double taper. Most every commercial boat I work on is double taper. Double taper is the top-quality method, straight couplings are a cost saver. I am honestly surprised Beneteau used a double taper as it is a more costly shaft to produce...

This one was for one of the last Sabre sailboats ever built..

And here's what they look like when you do a cut away.

I hate to break it to the OP but he's going to need a fit & face if he wants a smooth drive-line....... A double taper does not remove the need for a proper fitting and facing..

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-06-2014 at 09:14 AM.
post #18 of 27 Old 11-06-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Ah... Sorry old son, but that's definitely not a Beneteau practice nor a practice by any other builder /manufacturer. What you have there is the outboard end of a shaft.
Sorry pal, your theory is fascinating but it makes no sense. Both ends of the shaft are identical and tapered. Outboard end fits my Flexofold as well as original Beneteau prop perfectly. Inboard end fits original B coupling. The tapered bore of the coupling is the same as prop's. There are no set screws on the coupling and it is held in place by lock nut.

Quote:

Anyone keen on using their head will realize this is a good way to warp the tranny flange and it takes 15 minutes to make a pressing plate from a chunk of steel with the same bolt pattern.
Puller is even better but you need more room.

post #19 of 27 Old 11-06-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

I hate to break it to the OP but he's going to need a fit & face if he wants a smooth drive-line....... A double taper does not remove the need for a proper fitting and facing..
I would love to do that but it would require dropping the rudder. In fact I am wondering if this is done on new boats at the factory? Probably not, at least not at Beneteau.
post #20 of 27 Old 11-06-2014
Super Moderator

Quote:
I would love to do that but it would require dropping the rudder. In fact I am wondering if this is done on new boats at the factory? Probably not, at least not at Beneteau.
The shafts and couplings are usually milled and fitted and faced before they go on the boat. They remain as a pair until installed. It would not be worth it to Beneteau to not fit and face them. One warranty claim would wipe that savings out quickly... First they are fit (lap fit) then faced for true. You could lap fit yours but the face may still not be true, usually they are not....

If you can press out the cutlass bearing the shaft will almost always clear a rudder... I remove shafts regularly that won't clear with the cutlass and when removed clear just fine...

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in