Using Diesel To Charge Batteries - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 Old 12-03-2014 Thread Starter

Re: Using Diesel To Charge Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Is that 423 feet? If so, that's doable but not pretty.

Regards,
Brad
No, I need 423 of 100 foot cords for a total of 42,300 feet, or about 8 miles. I think the voltage drop would be to great, not to mention the kids un-plugging the cords for kicks.

In the beginning, there was only water...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 12-03-2014
islander bahama 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
No, I need 423 of 100 foot cords for a total of 42,300 feet, or about 8 miles. I think the voltage drop would be to great, not to mention the kids un-plugging the cords for kicks.
Or rice cookers
casey1999 likes this.

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 26 Old 12-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
It is not a worry about damaging the mooring it is because prop walk will spin you around, and around, and around.....
I go counterclockwise.....
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

post #24 of 26 Old 12-04-2014
Learning the HARD way...

Interesting discussion.

I think that another variable that hasn't been discussed is "what is the RPM of the engine at idle." 600RPM is fine for some, not for others.

Here, from the service manual, are the specs for several Universal Diesels;

MY M25 will idle at 800 RPM, but the alternator doesn't begin to put out 14.4 volts unless I run it up to over 1200 RPM. On the infrequent times when charging the battery at anchor, I start the engine, increase throttle to 1500 RPM, then drop down to 1000 RPM for about an hour... all the while in neutral.

After my engine dies because of this infrequent mistreatment I'll either buy a Beta 25, or perhaps they will have perfected the Mr. Fusion Marine version;
casey1999 likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #25 of 26 Old 01-17-2015

Idle? Thanks to eh for trying to define that. Back in reply #17 on page 2, the skipper mentioned doing a workaround to get his alternator to output in ANY MEANINGFUL AMOUNT.

That's the key.

Idle on our M25 engine, per eh's fine post which DEFINED "idle", will GET DIDDILY SQUAT out of our 100A alternator.

Unless skippers have specifically selected low rpm alternators on their boats (and I'm betting only a handful of those here do), then IDLE to charge makes NO sense.

You NEED to up the rpms so that the alternator can produce voltage and current.

For me, this can be between 1500 and 2000 rpm. I cruise at 2500 with a WOT of 3000.

Glad to see glazing has gone the way of the dodo bird, though.

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#), Maple Bay, BC, Canada
post #26 of 26 Old 01-17-2015
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Unless skippers have specifically selected low rpm alternators on their boats (and I'm betting only a handful of those here do), then IDLE to charge makes NO sense.

You NEED to up the rpms so that the alternator can produce voltage and current.

For me, this can be between 1500 and 2000 rpm. I cruise at 2500 with a WOT of 3000.

Glad to see glazing has gone the way of the dodo bird, though.
Stu,

If you want to charge in an anchorage 1500-2000 can get awfully loud to others and yourself. This is why a high performance alternator can be a great option as it will allow for quieter charging... Automotive alternators simply don't produce the current, at low RPM, that a performance wound alternator does. Our alt produces 100A - 105A at 1100 RPM...That speed just happens to be a great speed to also drive our engine driven refrigeration.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in