Using Diesel To Charge Batteries - SailNet Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 12-01-2014 Thread Starter

Using Diesel To Charge Batteries

Can someone explain the proper way to charge a battery using your auxiliary diesel engine? Seeing diesels like to run at high rpm with a big load on them, what is the proper way to run a diesel if you are at a dock or sailing in a race where it is against the rules to use the engine to turn the prop? My alternator would use about 1/2 hp to charge and the engine is 20 hp. So I am using a small fraction of full load on the engine. Does charging in this way damage the engine?

In the beginning, there was only water...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-01-2014

Re: Using Diesel To Charge Batteries

Hey,

You will probably get a lot of replies on this.

This is my OPINION:
-If you are racing and need to charge the batts, start the engine and rev it high enough so that the alt is putting out over 14V. Leave it at that throttle setting until the batts are charged. Since you don't be doing this often (maybe just a few times a year) I doubt you will do any damage to the engine

-If you just need to charge batts and are going somewhere, I would put the trans in gear and run at 1/2 throttle if you are sailing, and higher power if you aren't.

-If your are on a mooring or a dock and don't have AC to charge the batts with I would put the engine in gear and run it high enough to get 14V from the alt and leave it there.

I am assuming that this is a relatively RARE occurrence. I also don't believe you will damage the engine at all.

I would avoid having the engine just idle for hour, that is not good for the it at all.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old 12-01-2014
islander bahama 24

Agreed however solar is so cheap now days install a couple one hundred watt panels and save the fuel and all associated costs like maintance and if it really was so bad to idle then why do so many or rigs and off grid diesel gennys do it for hours a day

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 Old 12-01-2014
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post

-If your are on a mooring or a dock and don't have AC to charge the batts with I would put the engine in gear and run it high enough to get 14V from the alt and leave it there.
Barry
It might not be a very good idea to put the engine in gear, if you are on a mooring??
norahs arc likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 26 Old 12-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
It might not be a very good idea to put the engine in gear, if you are on a mooring??
Just don't go below to make a sandwich.

Part time PADI instructor, part time sailor. Full time having a blast.

S/V TEMPTATION
Islander 44

post #6 of 26 Old 12-01-2014
islander bahama 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post
Just don't go below to make a sandwich.
Or run the still
jerryrlitton likes this.

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

post #7 of 26 Old 12-01-2014
Bill SV Rangatira

Send a message via Skype™ to Bill-Rangatira

Self build adjustable alternator controler
adjustable regulator allows you to charge batteries at the proper rate
Charging Information For Lead Acid Batteries ? Battery University

post #8 of 26 Old 12-01-2014
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Can someone explain the proper way to charge a battery using your auxiliary diesel engine? Seeing diesels like to run at high rpm with a big load on them, what is the proper way to run a diesel if you are at a dock or sailing in a race where it is against the rules to use the engine to turn the prop? My alternator would use about 1/2 hp to charge and the engine is 20 hp. So I am using a small fraction of full load on the engine. Does charging in this way damage the engine?
This topic always gives me a chuckle especially when I work on so many engines with 10,000+ hours of "light loading".

#1 If you need to charge and have no other means then by all means RUN THE MOTOR.

#2 There is no need to race it beyond where the alt makes about 80-90% of the alts rating. Figure out where this is, often just a fast idle, and run it there.

#3 The next time you run the motor, run it hard. Once she is warmed up run at wide open for two to four minutes then back her down to 80%..

#4 The idea that you will fully recharge a lead acid battery AGM, GEL or Flooded is fools gold unless you sit there and run it for ten + hours. "Charging" by alternator is what trawlers do, not sailboats... We restore energy in bits and pieces and hope to get back to full at a dock or via solar, wind etc. on the hook..

#5 Run the motor only until the batteries hit absorption voltage and perhaps just a bit longer while current is still pretty high in early absorption. Anything more is inefficient charging and wasteful..

#6 Motor charging is best used for bulk charging unless you are motoring for a long distance with no wind or are motor sailing.

#7 I work on piles of motors with thousands of hours of idle running. These motors purr perfectly, burn no oil and have not had any shorter life. These owners simply know how and when to run it and what to do after you run it with minimal load... Our own engine is one of them.. We have engine driven refrigeration so a lot of the engine running has been lightly loaded. I would not trade our 4000+ hour engine for a 200 hour engine owned by an in and out of the harbor guy.

*Change the oil regularly
*Run it hard when you run it
*Stop worrying about putting some energy back into the bank
* Stop charging when you attain absorption, if running only for charging purposes

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
casey1999 (12-01-2014), christian.hess (12-03-2014)
post #9 of 26 Old 12-01-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Agreed however solar is so cheap now days install a couple one hundred watt panels and save the fuel and all associated costs like maintance and if it really was so bad to idle then why do so many or rigs and off grid diesel gennys do it for hours a day
I do have solar panels and they take care of all my power needs. The ac dock power was taken out by the Japanese Tsunami a couple years back and has not been repaired. Just want to know the best way to charge if I need to.

In the beginning, there was only water...
post #10 of 26 Old 12-02-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I do have solar panels and they take care of all my power needs. The ac dock power was taken out by the Japanese Tsunami a couple years back and has not been repaired. Just want to know the best way to charge if I need to.
You could string some 100' extension cords together for temporary charging. A power strip with circuit breaker at the power source could help keep the current down to 15 amps to protect the temporary cord.

Regards,
Brad

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in