Remote oil filter for Kubota diesel - SailNet Community
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By Maine Sail
  • 1 Post By MarkSF

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-21-2015 Thread Starter

Remote oil filter for Kubota diesel

Hello,

I have a Universal 5424, which is the Kubota D1101 block.

The access to the oil filter on my Bristol is very restricted, and every winter it's a struggle to change it - yesterday was no exception! I always end up with my arms looking like I've been in a fight with a tiger.

So I was thinking, how about installing a remote filter kit? Has anyone done this on their sailboat?

Especially interested if you've done it to a Universal 5416 or 5424.

Where does one get the parts?
Any considerations in terms of height and orientation?

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-22-2015

Re: Remote oil filter for Kubota diesel

A friend of mine has a remote filter on a new Beta 38. It is mounted at least 6" above the engine, in a "gentlemenly position". I believe his was an option from Beta. Summit racing and jeg's have kits...

Last edited by captjcook; 12-22-2015 at 06:16 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-22-2015

Is it getting the filter on or off? There are some tricks to putting them back on, that I acquired after a few painful sessions as you described above

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

post #4 of 10 Old 12-22-2015
Super Moderator

A remote oil filter is one of the best upgrades I've done. I use Parker PUSH-LOK PLUS hydraulic hose & fittings rated at 300PSI, a bit over kill, but all in all not that expensive. My local Parker Store is a great resource..

In addition to the engine take-off adapter you may also be able to up the physical oil filter size by using a different size remote filter head than your engine adapter. I did this on our boat and the oil not only has more capacity, hoses and a much larger filter, but stays cleaner considerably longer. I use Wix (NAPA GOLD 51515), Baldwin (B2 or B2-HPG) or Donaldson (P169071) filters on my remote mount and it is a standard Ford FL-1A mount.

You will need three things for the engine take off adapter:

#1 - The thread and pitch

#2 - The o-ring diameter of the adapter and an 0-ring landing area dimension for the engine.

#3 - 1/2" NPT apter head & remote head not 3/8".

Calipers are easier but were not as easy to photograph:

Many of the Kubota's can use a typical Fram 3593A filter. Honda cars use this size too and a remote take-off for a Honda will often work. Be sure to physically measure the filter landing width where the gasket will hit and compare this to actual take-offs. You have two choices in take-offs, billet machined or cast. Billet is more expensive but either will work fine....

Here is a shot with the parts. Note the size difference between the factory filter and the new remote filter.

I mounted the remote filter head with Weld-Mount studs...

I would urge avoiding the Derale oil take offs as the machining is poor and the threaded adapter will bottom out before the o-ring seals.

You will need to do your homework on your engines OEM filter to find an "equivalent" or better filter for the remote. Filter manufacturers don't make this easy! By far this will take the most time IF you intend on upping the size of your remote filter. I prefer going larger as it yields more oil capacity, more filtration media and often less head pressure than a smaller filter.

FWIW the orange Fram filters, designated by a "PH" in front of the number, eg: PH3593A, are a very low quality filter, in my experience.

The orange Fram PH filters are the only filters I have ever had more than one of "drain back," even though it is equipped with an anti-drainback valve. Draining back means no oil in the filter at start up!

After my third or fourth customer with an empty horizontal Fram PH filter I called Fram and was told "Not surprising that is a cheap anti-drainback valve. You are best to go up to our TG or Tough Guard series or better.". Problem is I pay much less for a premium Wix, Baldwin or Donaldson filter than I do for a Fram TG series.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 12-22-2015 at 09:25 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
MarkSF (12-22-2015)
post #5 of 10 Old 12-22-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, great stuff!

I've been using Wix for all my filters, for cars and the boat, for years, and the quality is consistently good, especially considering the price.

I get them mail order through the truck type places. Quantity 3 of both fuel filters, and my oil filter, 9 filters altogether, just cost me $49.50, including shipping, from fleetfilter.com.

If you need one quickly, I found that my local O Reilley, though it has Fram on display, has Wix in stock behind the counter.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #6 of 10 Old 12-23-2015

Maine Sail

Thanks for another excellent write up.
I was looking at the Derale relocation kits (Relocation Kits), but since there is a drawback as you mentioned, do you have a source for separate engine take-off /spin-off adapters and filter landing? I can get the hoses locally.
I have a smaller engine than yours - Westerbeke 30B3, how do I determine the best size when increasing the filter size without compromising the oil pump?
I can measure and find the proper engine take-off size, but not sure how to go about picking a new filter size.

My second inquiry is about the weld mount studs: are they mounted on fiberglass? Did you sand the surface and do you trust its hold? (of course you do, but I just thought I ask).
post #7 of 10 Old 12-23-2015
Senior Moment Member

Another upgrade you can do with remote filtering is to get a double filter bracket instead of a single. One of those with those long "truck" filter elements would just about triple the oil capacity of my 2GMF.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-01-2016

Maine Sail: Are you able to provide the parts number/where to order the oil take-offs and the filter mount you went with? I would love to do this upgrade to my 1990 Catalina 34 with a Universal M30 engine for all the reasons you've cited.

Thanks,
Steve
post #9 of 10 Old 07-01-2016
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail'n Steve View Post
Maine Sail: Are you able to provide the parts number/where to order the oil take-offs and the filter mount you went with? I would love to do this upgrade to my 1990 Catalina 34 with a Universal M30 engine for all the reasons you've cited.

Thanks,
Steve
As I suggested you will need to do your own homework for your own engine. If you want a cookie-cutter solution you can pay Westerbeke $700.00 +/- for their kit or you can take some measurements and let your fingers do some google work.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #10 of 10 Old 07-06-2016

Best part is you can mount the filter right side up so you don't spill a pint of oil into the bilge at every oil change. My OF is real ready to get to but I'm considering the remote kit just for that reason. I'll probably stay with the 3593A type as it's about the most commonly used filter out there and you can get them anywhere cheap. My last three cars have all used it. And yes, the PH series are junk, I use the TG if I go with Fram at all. Depends on where I buy them.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in