old engine, new engine - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 Old 04-05-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Re: old engine, new engine

We have a Cherubini Hunter 37 in the charter fleet, and a bunch of newer Hunters from 33-42 feet. They're all powered by Yanmar 4 cylinder engines. The Cherubini weighs in at close to 18K lbs and has a LOT of momentum when underway (I suspect that it may be under propped). The Hunter 41 displaces 19K lbs but will stop, comparatively, on a dime. While at the helm, I realize the difference, and adapt my technique to account for the differences. I teach my students to handle which ever boat that they're being trained on.

My O'day 35, with a 21 HP Universal M25, displaces 12K lbs. Under power, it handles like a sports car compared to the Hunter Cherubini 37.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
paikea (04-05-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 04-05-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paikea View Post
Its a Bukh 10 HP, currently 40 years old. Seems to be in good condition, starts fairly well, but I need to be sure I can depend on it more or less. So these discussions are very helpful for me as it guides me into what to look into that of course at this point I am overlooking and additional things to try and do.
I had this same engine in a 28 foot boat. These are wonderful little engines. They are extremely easy to work on, extremely reliable, and a joy to own, although the parts are more expensive in the U.S. than the more common engines in the States like Yanmars.

When you talk about an engine which is not effective in reverse and an engine which is overheating, both can be symptoms of badly fouled propeller. When marine growth (barnacles, and other mollusks) attached to the bottom of the boat and the propeller, these can create greater resistance and reduced effectiveness for the propeller and so over work the engine, causing the engine to run hot, and reducing its effectiveness in reverse.

There are couple things that I would check if its not a foul bottom or prop. First of all, I would start with the water pump. The water pump impeller is pretty easy to change and should be changed every year since. As others have suggested, the mixing elbow can get easily clogged and cause overheating. I had to replace the thermostat twice in the 14 years that I owned my Buhk and do that would be another likely candidate.

I do not know if your engine has an outdrive or a conventional propeller shaft. My Buhk had an outdrive and that outdrive used a Gori propeller. That propeller was poorly made and would fail periodically allowing the inner hub to spin independently from the blade carrier. I would notice this first when in reverse since there would be an unnaturally long delay between the time I put the engine in reverse and the time that the boat seemed to respond.

My recollection is that these engines are geared differently in forward than reverse, and as others have noted, propellers tend to develop a lot more thrust in forward than reverse so you need to expect different performance in reverse than forward. One thing you do not want to do (since these are very torquey little engines) is to rapidly increase RPM (revolutions per minute- i.e. engine speed) since this can cause the propeller to spin ineffectively and not create much thrust in reverse. It is better to increase the engine RPM slowly and steadily as you feel the propeller grabbing and slowing the boat.

Unless there is something seriously wrong with this engine, which I doubt since it probably would not start or would sound awful once it did if there was a serious problem, I would certainly repair it or even rebuild it before replacing it.

Good luck

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-05-2016 at 09:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
paikea (04-05-2016)
post #23 of 25 Old 04-05-2016 Thread Starter
Deep Blue Crush

@Jeff_H

You just described my little engine! Thats it, seems to work quite well forward but in reverse its like a different engine.

One thing now I am sure I am guilty of - I might have not been so gentle and lady like on that gear stick. I am starting to understand that. I think I might have gotten worried when I saw its lack of response so would push or pull the gear quicker especially when boats were all over around me, and a nice all glass restaurant.

"I do not know if your engine has an outdrive or a conventional propeller shaft."
Now, that I dont know whats called. See diagram I used when winterising the engine. I dont know if thats called outdrive or conventional propeller shaft. I presume when you say shaft, you mean the arm between the engine and the propeller.

I think I am becoming a professional mechanic with all of you around!
Attached Thumbnails
12311499_10203842595824631_326248489_o.jpg  

Deep Blue Crush

post #24 of 25 Old 04-05-2016
Learning the HARD way...

part of my lesson: "When shifting, the engine should be at idle. Say the name of each gear (to allow the transmission to idle) when you put the shifter in that gear. Going into reverse would sound like this; throttle down, put transmission in neutral, say "Neutral," put the transmission in reverse, say "Reverse," throttle up.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

Last edited by eherlihy; 04-05-2016 at 10:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
paikea (04-05-2016)
post #25 of 25 Old 04-05-2016 Thread Starter
Deep Blue Crush

@eherlihy

Obviously I wasnt doing that, quite like that! I admit it. I think I was going a bit too fast between forward and neutral.
This engine might be a blessing in disguise teaching me patience and delayed gratification when I use the gear and not only, but overall when I sail the boat. Of course I am still still at the stage that I feel nervous in certain aspects. That doesnt help. I know no one at the marina where I have my boat, so trying to doing things alone.

Thank you.

Deep Blue Crush

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in