Repowering - Need help on figuring out if this engine will work - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-28-2016 Thread Starter

Repowering - Need help on figuring out if this engine will work

Hey everyone,

I recently found someone who has be greatful enough to help me out. My inboard Perkins M20 diesel is seized and the crank is completely shot. New crank for tractor based engine runs $1200, so I've decided that I am going to repower with a new(to me) diesel.

That said, a gentleman i've come across has a generator that recently died(last season). He decided that it was time to just replace the genny. The engine portion works just fine, but it was the genny portion that died. He is wanting $700 for this little engine, however before I accept his offer, I want to make sure that 1) I can take the transmission from my engine(Perkins M20) and use it on this, or 2) in the event its not compatible, I can get a decent price on one that will work.

The engine is a Kubota D722-e, however there is also another Kubota sticker that states Model: Z482.

Doing a bit of leg work to figure out the transmission on my Perkins M20(aka Perkins 103-6), I THINK(no labels or identifiers are on the tranny itself) it is the Hurth HWB50 marine gearbox. This is based on reading through the docs on boatdiesel.com.

Now I'm trying to figure out if the Kubota engine will accept the gearbox of my perkins. From the Perkins datasheet, the transmission of 2.72:1 ratio however I can't really seem to find much else on this subject.

Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction?

heres the spec sheet for the Kubota engine: http://www.bluemoment.com/manuals/BZ482_manual.pdf
Spec sheet for the Perkins: http://www.svpartyoffive.com/perkins_100.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-28-2016

Re: Repowering - Need help on figuring out if this engine will work

I think the issue is going to be the bellhousing/adaptor between the engine and the gear. That piece, however, should be available separately. I'm guessing the Perkins and Kubota bolt patterns on the engine end will differ, as may the lateral separation of the gear and the block..

If the HP is similar then the gear ratio you have should be fine if the rotation and the prop stays the same.

EDIT: found this rather quickly: HUR-SAE4 Kubota Diesel 1902 Series; flywheel housing for Hurth HBW-50,

From these guys. http://www.barrmarine.net/adaptor-bell-housings.html

Perhaps not the precise one you'd need but it stands to reason they'd have access to others.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 04-28-2016 at 09:09 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-28-2016

Re: Repowering - Need help on figuring out if this engine will work

Most generators and pumps use special cranks..lots of luck....Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in