Outboard Help - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 04-06-2017 Thread Starter

Re: Outboard Help

Starwind - Thank you again for your help! If the Tohatsu is still available I will try to pick it up. I do like the Tohatsu 6hp SailPro, but the price of it is more than I paid for my boat O.O lol. It was recommended by one of my dock-mates to not go below 4hp because of the current.

As for the outboard motor bracket I am unsure. It is a fixed one with a wood plank attached to it. I should have taken a picture of it for reference XD.

Cheers,
Ninjito
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 04-06-2017
Fortuitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarwindMango View Post
The reason I made the comment on current is that a smaller motor may not have the power to overcome the current and get you moving in the right direction, regardless of how fast you're going. I like a high thrust prop on a sailboat outboard for this reason.

I've seen some racers have this problem in Charleston, SC when they have a 2 HP motor on a J24 or something similar

BTW- really enjoy your blog. Well done!
Ah, the old hole shot. That makes sense.
Totally agree on the high thrust prop.

Thanks for checking out out boat log!
StarwindMango likes this.

My Boat Log, or "blog" if you will:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 Old 04-06-2017

New piston, rings with head and cylinder gasket...not much money.
They don't get much simpler than 2-strokes.

Let the old rings soak a while, as mentioned above, then see if the piston frees up.
Ninjito likes this.

post #14 of 19 Old 04-06-2017

I had a 6 hp 2 stroke on a 2500# displacement catboat. Even with its wide beam, the catboat was reasonably happy with the 6 hp motor in our tidal waters, where 2 kts is not uncommon and the max can be 4+ kts. I tried a 2 hp motor on it once, but it was only suitable in calm conditions and slack tide.

I now have a 10 hp Honda 4 stroke on my 150#, 10' hard bottom inflatable dinghy. That motor weighs about 100#, and that does not include a fuel tank. My old 6 hp 2 stroke weighed 56 # by comparison. 100# may not seem like a lot, but it is a bear to put it on or take it off the dinghy. You would need a lift to install it on your bracket.

BTW, all of my outboards were standard length. A long shaft version would probably run a few pounds heavier.
StarwindMango likes this.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-06-2017

Something else to bear in mind, is that if you plan on going through the locks at Bonneville Dam, to sail the Gorge (amazing sailing above the dam) you're going to need a fair bit of thrust to beat the current up to the locks. Just below the dam it can be a bit swift. That's the most current you'll likely face on the entire Columbia.

If you aren't doing that, you could get by with just about any outboard.
Ninjito likes this.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
post #16 of 19 Old 04-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjito View Post
Starwind - Thank you again for your help! If the Tohatsu is still available I will try to pick it up. I do like the Tohatsu 6hp SailPro, but the price of it is more than I paid for my boat O.O lol. It was recommended by one of my dock-mates to not go below 4hp because of the current.

As for the outboard motor bracket I am unsure. It is a fixed one with a wood plank attached to it. I should have taken a picture of it for reference XD.

Cheers,
Ninjito

Does yours look like this? i.e. not adjustable? If so, I would definitely want the long shaft. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever said while motoring, "Gee I wish my motor was shorter" it's usually the other way around
miatapaul and Ninjito like this.

Ryan
1986 Starwind 19, Mango
post #17 of 19 Old 04-07-2017 Thread Starter

RegisteredUser - I will take that in mind when I pull her off and either sell her as is or rebuild her, thank you!

Fallard - Thanks for the info - I think most of the ones I have been looking at have been long shaft so if there is a weight range for the outboard I will just assume I should go with the heavier weight listed. Thank you!

Amwbox - I had not even thought about having the extra power to get through that. My instructor said the sailing was really amazing past the dam. You brought up a great point thank you!

StarwindMango - Yes! Not the metal bracket under the boat's name, but the other one with the wood plank on it! That being said - Longshaft still the suggest length? Thank you!
post #18 of 19 Old 04-10-2017

Ninjito- yes I definitely still recommend a long shaft length. I believe mine on my 4 HP Johnson Seahorse is 25", as is the Tohatsu SailPro. Two reasons: 1) Your outboard bracket doesn't appear to be adjustable and 2) If you get in any kind of short steep chop, it would be easy for the motor to come out of the water

Ryan
1986 Starwind 19, Mango
post #19 of 19 Old 04-10-2017

Got rid of my merc 9.9. It's in Haiti now. Replaced with a tahatsu 15 hp 2 stroke. Love it and it weighs less than the merc.
Whatever you do put a filter in the gasline. Most problems are from carbs unable to handle bad gas. Especially in the Caribbean. Also
add something to disperse water.
Run engine dry before leaving unless you use it daily.
My are on a dinghy but even with displacement hull extra hp is a good thing within reason. Often need the full 15hp to punch through big chop at displacement speeds when the dinghy is loaded up. So respectfully disagree with what was said in a prior post. Also just like a diesel fuel consumption is less if not running at max rpm. So being above bare minimum is not a bad thing.
Think it a shame no 2 strokes sold in US. With proper mix don't smoke or pollute to any significant degree. Would think one semi puts more in the air then two dozen 2 stroke dinghy engines.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in