6hp Tohatsu, starts and idles fine, stalls out in gear - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 04-25-2017 Thread Starter

6hp Tohatsu, starts and idles fine, stalls out in gear

Hi,

I have a Tohatsu 6hp Sail Pro Long Shaft.

It starts right up, idles fine but dies after a few seconds once I put it in gear and get underway.

It was running great all last season, and then died on me while underway and hasn't worked properly since.

I cleaned the carburetor and put it in an ultrasonic machine so I don't believe that's an issue.

How would I go about troubleshooting this to determine the problems.

Thanks,
Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-25-2017

Dock
Re: 6hp Tohatsu, starts and idles fine, stalls out in gear

Alan - I'd start with looking for a clogged fuel filter or a weakened rubber fuel line that is collapsing....if that's not it maybe look at the carburetor float as it could be saturated with gas. Those are great engines.
StarwindMango likes this.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdogandy For This Useful Post:
CT_Tempest (04-26-2017)
post #3 of 20 Old 04-25-2017

And make sure the gas tank is vented. As gas is consumed, air needs to get into the tank or a vacuum will form. Have that probably with my lawn tractor. Took two fuel pump replacements until I figured out to loosen the gas cap to keep her running.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skipper Jer For This Useful Post:
CT_Tempest (04-26-2017)

post #4 of 20 Old 04-25-2017

In the carb body (bowl off), within the 'circle' of the float there a sort of pedestal with a rubber plug in it.. At the base of that there's a jet that can plug up and cause the symptoms you describe.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
CT_Tempest (04-26-2017)
post #5 of 20 Old 04-26-2017

Remedy is simple ..... mark how many turns 'in' for all jets. disassemble the carb and use carb cleaner, precisely reinstall all jets to the previously made marks.

Next time when putting the OB away for storage for more than 2 months, run completely dry, drain the carb bowl, fill/flush the empty bowl with isopropyl alcohol -IPA (use a large syringe to load the bowl with IPA)

The carb on the Tohatsu 4,5 & 6 HP. has an extremely fine orfice in the idle trim adjusting jet which EASILY forms gum and varnish when the carb 'dries out' during long term storage.
Even if you use a stabilizer and store the OB for more than a month or two - seal the VENT on the carb bowl body to prevent evaporation of the gasoline to help prevent gum and varnish formation when the gasoline 'vaporizes' out through the carb bowl VENT (and again, even if you use 'stabilizers' in the fuel).

Best is to always run dry and then 'dump' the bowl via the drain plug; the IPA 'wash' will remove any 'already started' gum/varnish formation in the jets and orfices ... and in the bowl. A cleaned and dry carb bowl won't form gums, etc.; nor will have any 'phase-separated' fuel.

If you think you're having 'fun' now with 10% ethanolated gasoline, just wait until the newly mandated 15% EtOH gasoline 'hits' your OB.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Last edited by RichH; 04-26-2017 at 01:27 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichH For This Useful Post:
CT_Tempest (04-26-2017)
post #6 of 20 Old 04-26-2017

It's likely fuel/air mixture, as others have given examples. Good winter storage ideas as well.

Ethanol is a high causal suspect. Hate the stuff. You can do a google search for land stations in your area that sell non-ethanol gasoline. It pays to haul it to the marina in a can. It also pays to religiously use a stabilizer, even during the season. Our OBs typically don't run enough, even in season.
StarwindMango likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
CT_Tempest (04-26-2017)
post #7 of 20 Old 04-26-2017

Everything said above is spot on. One thing I will add: my father's Tohatsu sail pro suffered this same problem two different times. First time, it was clogged jet as RichH said. Second time, the fuel line connector between the hose and motor was not sealing properly. At idle, it was fine, but at any revs it would suck lots of air through the connection between connector and motor. We verified this with some soap and bubbles. Check your O-ring on the connector too and make sure it's not disintegrated.
RichH likes this.

Ryan
1986 Starwind 19, Mango
The Following User Says Thank You to StarwindMango For This Useful Post:
CT_Tempest (04-26-2017)
post #8 of 20 Old 04-26-2017
Land lubber

Startron fuel stabilizer is the best I have found. Mix some gas heavily with a good 2 stroke oil and the startron 9even in your 4 stroke motor). Run it through the motor, shut off the fuel supply, let it run till it stalls. Then drain the bowl. When restarting after storage, open the bowl drain for 30 seconds and let the new/clean fuel flush the carb, then start.

The 2 stroke oil doesn't evaporate. I have found that when the fuel does, the 2 stroke oil is left behind and prevents 'bad gas' from sticking in the carb/jets. Thus, the fresh gas rinse in the spring leaves a clean and ready to go carb!
The Following User Says Thank You to ianjoub For This Useful Post:
CT_Tempest (04-26-2017)
post #9 of 20 Old 04-26-2017

I totally agree with running it dry. It's been my SOP. However, my Yamaha manual says not to. It recommends a fuel additive and choking the engine off with fogging oil. Just bought a new one last year, so that's what I did. It was hard to restart, since the plugs were soaked. Once it did kick over, it belched out the oil and then ran like a charm again. I'm guesssing the fogging oil might also protect the jets, etc, since you spray it through the carb.

I've also been know to spray a half can of Vavltect Marine Motor De-carb through the running outboard and kill all the bugs within miles. Sit upwind! Not sure it works, but it feels good.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 04-26-2017 at 11:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
CT_Tempest (04-26-2017)
post #10 of 20 Old 04-26-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarwindMango View Post
At idle, it was fine, but at any revs it would suck lots of air through the connection between connector and motor. We verified this with some soap and bubbles. .
Yikes! You should never do this with soap and water - very bad for your engine when it gets sucked in like that.

The traditional way mechanics do it is to spray WD-40 instead. When it gets sucked in, it usually kills the motor telegraphing a leak. However, it is not harmful to get sucked into the carb.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lazerbrains For This Useful Post:
CT_Tempest (04-26-2017)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in