magic multitool for cutting hoses - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By dadio917

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-13-2018 Thread Starter
dadio917

magic multitool for cutting hoses

I do a bit of woodworking and recently added a Makita multitool to my kit. The other day I was changing and rerouting hoses at the boat. Both the tough engine hoses and the more pliable scupper hoses. Cutting hoses especially in tight places has always been a challenge....hack saw? razor knife? hole saw? This time I tried the multitool and it was magic! went through the hoses like butter. cuts straight in so I could attach one end of the hose and then trim the other almost in place. Highly recommend.
SanderO, MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.

Dadio917
Valiant 39
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-13-2018

Re: magic multitool for cutting hoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio917 View Post
I do a bit of woodworking and recently added a Makita multitool to my kit. The other day I was changing and rerouting hoses at the boat. Both the tough engine hoses and the more pliable scupper hoses. Cutting hoses especially in tight places has always been a challenge....hack saw? razor knife? hole saw? This time I tried the multitool and it was magic! went through the hoses like butter. cuts straight in so I could attach one end of the hose and then trim the other almost in place. Highly recommend.
Very good tip. Especially since I'm about to replace all of the head hoses a relocate the macerator pump. I might also use it to cut old corroded hose clamps before replacing the hoses.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-13-2018

Assume your talking the tool pioneered by Fein. Is there a hacksaw blade available for the tool as you'd need it for hose with wires?? All I've seen are wood blades or carbide. Carbide might work but no experience using them on a house.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-13-2018 Thread Starter
dadio917

don't know who invented the multi tool but seems all companies have them now. You can get bi metal blades for cutting metal. I've cut many a screw or bolt with it that I couldn't get otherwise. I didn't bother to put one on for the engine hoses with wires. Simple wire cutter took care of that once the hose was cut.

my only complaint about my Makita is it's rather large. On the other hand its powerful. the more I use it the more I wonder how I ever got along without it.

Dadio917
Valiant 39
post #5 of 8 Old 06-13-2018
Old soul

Yup, got a Fein version back when it still only Fein. Love it. Probably my number one power tool. Incredibly versatile. I keep finding new uses for it.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #6 of 8 Old 06-13-2018

Just really a detail sander with a cutting blade or scraper attached to it. Multitools oscillate at 10,000 to 20,000 OPM while Detail Sanders are usually in the lower to mid range. The Multitool allows you to more easily change from sanding to scraping, cutting, etc.

For cutting wire reinforced hoses you probably want a fine tooth metal cutting blade and a lower speed to avoid heating up. A little boat polish on the blade will probably help keep the blade cooler.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-14-2018

I use it on our Steel boat a lot. The wood cutting blades actually work quite well on rust. And if you turn it 90 its sort of like a one pin wire needle scaler. I can go through a bunch of sanding pads.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #8 of 8 Old 06-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I use it on our Steel boat a lot. The wood cutting blades actually work quite well on rust. And if you turn it 90 its sort of like a one pin wire needle scaler. I can go through a bunch of sanding pads.
And here I have been using the same twist strand wire cup brush on a $9, 4 1/2" angle grinder for over a decade. Great for cleaning up welds too.

Nice to have a number of options for the task at hand.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in