50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 59 Old 06-19-2018
Master Mariner

Re: Why is nothing ever easy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
Mike

Did you remember to pray before you started?
Who do you pray for on mechanical issues?
Neptune and Posiden don't get involved in those. Buddha and all those other Eastern/Oriental guys died long before the first transmission cooler was invented, so they wouldn't have a clue what you are praying about.
Jesus and Muhammad also predated things like diesel engines so your prayers would fall on deaf or at least ignorant ears, there.
I don't think there is an Egyptian God of machinery, but I could be wrong on that, cause they had plenty of them.
The American Indians had their Spirits for all things, but somehow I missed the part where they had them for machines.
So who exactly do you pray to on mechanical issues, that would have a clue what you were praying about? lol

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 Old 06-19-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Mike, meet Murphy. He has this law.
Or as as our country music philosophers put it:

“Sometimes you’re the windshield. Sometimes you're the bug.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
Mike

Did you remember to pray before you started?
Damn … maybe there really is a Dog, and he’s gettin’ back at me . More likely, I just suck at engine repairs .
JimMcGee likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 59 Old 06-19-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Capta. I assumed that the water coming out of a sufficiently sized HX would do it. Maybe if you run in hot tropics with inadequate sized equipment . I ran fresh for 40 yrs and never heated a gearbox. Maybe I was wrong.
If your engine operated at around 180 degrees, as most do, then you were trying to cool your oil with water that hot. I can't see any benefit from that.
Perhaps you were running keel coolers up there, which is common, so your engine and heat exchanger cooling water was always fresh, as those are closed systems.
The engine operating temperature does not change because of the water temperature you are operating in, so it wouldn't matter if you ran your engine in Alaska or the Gulf of Aden. As a matter of fact, if you are operating a diesel in very cold water you have a limiter on your circulation water so you can limit water flow and not cool your engine too much.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #24 of 59 Old 06-19-2018

One thing I have learned in 45 years of fixing things is that you can do it right or you can do it over, and over, and over. The easy cheap fix is rarely right unless you are planning to sell to a sucker the next day...... Just saying.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #25 of 59 Old 06-20-2018

Quote:
Neptune and Posiden don't get involved in those. Buddha and all those other Eastern/Oriental guys died long before the first transmission cooler was invented, so they wouldn't have a clue what you are praying about.
Jesus and Muhammad also predated things like diesel engines so your prayers would fall on deaf or at least ignorant ears, there.
I don't think there is an Egyptian God of machinery, but I could be wrong on that, cause they had plenty of them.
The American Indians had their Spirits for all things, but somehow I missed the part where they had them for machines.
So who exactly do you pray to on mechanical issues, that would have a clue what you were praying about? lol
I think you sacrifice to Hephaistos, patron of blacksmiths.
JimMcGee, capta and ThereYouAre like this.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #26 of 59 Old 06-20-2018

An auto trans dumps it's heat into the car rad. Realistic operating temp range for tranee oil thinks thats's ok. Heavy use like towing/trucking requires an auxiliary hx in series .Hot weather conditions may require an upgrade to a bigger radiator to accommodate changed conditions. How is that different from a properly scaled marine system where heat is dumped into an adequate supply of ocean water from 180 fresh water in the engine cooling system . In my installation the Hx's were mounted engine cooler on top over oil cooler, F water did a U turn at one end and returned to the front handy to engines water pump and expansion tank . S went to exhaust riser ( small T for the pisser)making the hosing easy.Worked for me ,not for all perhaps.
post #27 of 59 Old 06-20-2018

Quote:
How do you expect to cool the trany with 180 degree water? It won't work! You MUST use seawater (or a keel cooler if you are in colder water) to cool the transmission oil, not the engine fresh water!
It can depend on where your are tapping into the system. You want to tap in on the outlet side of the freshwater cooling system before it gets reheated by the engine. You may find the temps a lot lower there than on the input side of the cooler however its best to check first. You really do not want the transmission so cold that the lube doesn't flow well either.

Usually engine temp is measured at the thermostat where the hot coolant flows out to the cooler and not where it returns to the engine. If coolant flows into the engines water jacket at 180 degrees F then it can be well over the boiling point by the time it exits the block.
post #28 of 59 Old 06-20-2018

I can pray to the God Elon Musk for he claims to perform modern miracles on a regular basis.

And he would NEVER lie or exaggerate.

Ahmen!

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #29 of 59 Old 06-20-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
law... it always takes 3x as long as you thought it should take.
Sander I respectfully disagree.

It's 3x longer than my optimistic estimate -- them multiply that time by 3x because I didn't allow for squeezing into a place upside down where no %$#@$%# human being could possibly fit !
MikeOReilly likes this.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #30 of 59 Old 06-20-2018

Quote:
Neptune and Posiden don't get involved in those. Buddha and all those other Eastern/Oriental guys died long before the first transmission cooler was invented, so they wouldn't have a clue what you are praying about...
Capta that's easy.

Sailors INSTINCTIVELY know the name of the god to call on when doing boat repairs.

Every sailor I've ever known at some point in a project screams out MOTHER F#CKER !!!!

And his assistant SON OF A B!TCH !!!!

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in