Why is nothing ever easy!! - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 59 Old 06-24-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Re: Why is nothing ever easy!!

Just to cap this off. I finally finished the [email protected]#! job. Much more cursin' and taking some lord’s name in vain, but the damn thing is done. I now have a new (used) transmission cooler in place. And we just splashed and it all seems to work, so life is good once again
capecodda likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 06-24-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 59 Old 06-24-2018

well, I went to the boat last Thursday, mainly to place a specially cut piece of paneling beneath my new ice maker, which is now sitting upon a nice berth cushion just above the chart table. When I arrived at the boat, the prevailing northwest wind had blown all the water out of the lower river, the water level had fallen 5 feet, the boat was sitting in the mud 6 feet from the finger pier and you could not move it. The water remained that low all day long, therefore, I drove to the nearby American Legion, ordered a Coors Light and a crab-cake platter with French fries and cole slaw. Another busted day for this sailor. Should have some good conditions by Tuesay, so I'll pick up a hoagie at the local sub shop, a small bag of ice, head to the boat and do something, even if it is wrong!

Gary
post #53 of 59 Old 06-25-2018

Could not agree more with OP. Painful stuff this boat repair life. Great source of patience lessons which it seems I will never learn. I do think there is something to the adage that the most difficult part of any job is figuring out the easiest way to do it. I often regret flying into a job with little forethought thinking that speed is some sort of friend. But I can rarely convince myself to sit for the length of time needed to do that kind of figuring. Current task is rebedding and repositioning of a windlass. Seemed like a couple day job 3 weeks ago. Oh well I finally and without fanfare walked away from it the other day with my last words being, "ok then fix yourself." I have sailed now the last three mornings and every time I untie I look at the windlass and simply think that it can wait until tomorrow. I figure if I ignore it long enough it will be much more compliant when I do get around the another attempt.

post #54 of 59 Old 06-25-2018
bell ringer

Hey, the other day I replaced the macerator pump WHILE UNDERWAY in 20 minutes!!!!!! And as a plus the tanks wasn't fill and no poop was spilled into the people living tank.
capecodda and MikeOReilly like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #55 of 59 Old 06-25-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

See, Mike, you never really read the Pardeys, did you?
No engine, no cry.
Like those folks who all insist they MUST have indoor plumbing, and then find out that means paying the plumber a night time holiday emergency repair bill when it overflows. Just don't have that problem until you fall for the indoor plumbing line.
MikeOReilly likes this.
post #56 of 59 Old 06-25-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
See, Mike, you never really read the Pardeys, did you?
No engine, no cry. ...
There been many a time when I’ve threatened to toss the whole mechanical beast over the side. Problem is, I’m just not that good a sailor . Unfortunately I need old Grampa Tractor rumblin’ away.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #57 of 59 Old 06-25-2018

Mike, having read the Pardey books cover to cover, about 3 of them at least, there were times when they needed an engine, mainly for safety reasons. And, I suspect that there were times when they dearly wished they had another form of propulsion other than the wind. However, that would make for good reading in their books.

All the best,

Gary
post #58 of 59 Old 06-25-2018

Mike: Why would you use the term "taking the Lord's name in vain" if you don't believe in a higher power? You really confuse me.
post #59 of 59 Old 06-25-2018

The society we live in sort of sets the blasphamy standards regardless of personal belief. In this one bad mouthing deities and their relatives seems to have clout. In Quebec it's parts of a church. Brits seem to favour slap and tickle .If things get much worse look for names of politicians used in anger. I kind of prefer 'Oh Bother' It seems to get a chuckle ,,which is half way to solving the problem.The other half is solved by my belief in my superior mechanical skills.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in