Why is nothing ever easy!! - SailNet Community
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 Old 06-19-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Angry Why is nothing ever easy!!

OK, this is just a rant. Not asking for anything, not trying to make any point. Just freakiní frustrated over what should be an easy job.

Iím just trying to replace a defunct transmission cooler. Sprung a leak in the salt water cycle. No problem. Should be an easy replacement job. Four hoses. Easy peasyÖ

Was given a newish cooler by a friendly dock mate. Turns out the transmission line fittings were the wrong size. No problem. Same fellow had another one. This time the water lines were the wrong fitting. No problem. Found some reducer nipples. Also turns out this one is little longer than my old one. No problem, just cut some hosesÖ.

Turns out, this nothing job has now taken me four days, and Iím still not finished!!! Itís nearly impossible to reach, I spend 1/2 the time retrieving brackets and clamps and other bits that I keep losing (actually, my wiry spouse does most of the retrieving ). And Iíve finally figured out I need to either cut up and buy all new hoses, or buy the proper-sized cooler, which is what Iím probably going to do now after spending four days fighting with these other ones.

Why is nothing ever easy on a boat

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 06-19-2018

Re: Why is nothing ever easy!!

I repainted the transom moulding after repairing a couple of dings; it all went very smoothly.
MikeOReilly likes this.
post #3 of 59 Old 06-19-2018

Mike,

You are not a cruiser until you sit in your cockpit some day and cry out of sheer frustration. And then continue on with the voyage. Donít ask me how I know! Itís like women who have lots of children, child birth/repair is awful, but we keep doing it because.... well because there is so much fun in getting there.
MikeOReilly likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

post #4 of 59 Old 06-19-2018

A 20 min land based repair is 4 days on water...
Parts availability..gopher time..contortionist trials...
post #5 of 59 Old 06-19-2018

Nothing is ever easy because the previous owner took the easy way out instead of doing things right. Case in point...see attached.

Hang in there, Mike. Remember, things are always darkest right before it gets... pitch black..
Attached Thumbnails
TransomAnnotated.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Here's to one of the best friends and companions I've ever had; the white GSD in my avatar. Passed away suddenly on Aug 14, 2017, at 9 1/2 years of age. We love and miss you, Mel, and we will be together again.
post #6 of 59 Old 06-19-2018

Mike, the definition of Cruising is "Fixing your boat in a warmer climate." Nothing, absolutely nothing, goes the way you plan, especially when it comes to boat repairs and maintenance.

I was supposed to leave on a 4-day sail with the relatively young gal that is my daughter's roommate tomorrow morning. Well, the very first thing that went wrong was my damned knee blew out when I climbed out of bed. This was followed by the realization that I only had to blood pressure pills left and the prescription wasn't due to arrive until Thursday. The icing on the cake was that the gal that was supposed to go with me can no longer go because her doctor prescribed 4 days a week of physical therapy following her shoulder surgery. Think I'll start drinkin' early tonight!

All the best,

Gary
MikeOReilly likes this.
post #7 of 59 Old 06-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Mike, the definition of Cruising is "Fixing your boat in a warmer climate." Nothing, absolutely nothing, goes the way you plan, especially when it comes to boat repairs and maintenance.

I was supposed to leave on a 4-day sail with the relatively young gal that is my daughter's roommate tomorrow morning. Well, the very first thing that went wrong was my damned knee blew out when I climbed out of bed. This was followed by the realization that I only had to blood pressure pills left and the prescription wasn't due to arrive until Thursday. The icing on the cake was that the gal that was supposed to go with me can no longer go because her doctor prescribed 4 days a week of physical therapy following her shoulder surgery. Think I'll start drinkin' early tonight!

All the best,

Gary
If I were you, Gary, I'd be drinking before the second paragraph!!

Here's to one of the best friends and companions I've ever had; the white GSD in my avatar. Passed away suddenly on Aug 14, 2017, at 9 1/2 years of age. We love and miss you, Mel, and we will be together again.
post #8 of 59 Old 06-19-2018

it's 5 O'clock Somewhere!

Gary
MikeOReilly and bblument like this.
post #9 of 59 Old 06-19-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Thanks guys & gals (except you Paul Ö ). With every new problem I learn a little bit more. Wish I could learn less and cruise more, but I wouldnít choose any other life (at this point; never say never ).

Gary, I definitely heard the beers calling early today. Am deep into my second bitter and heavy IPA. Given all my pains and bruises I figure I need ibuprofen or more booze Ö I think I'll stick with the organic painkiller
travlin-easy likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #10 of 59 Old 06-19-2018

law... it always takes 3x as long as you thought it should take.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in