replacing Volvo engine - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 07-15-2018 Thread Starter

Question replacing Volvo engine

Hi to all! I just finished my 1st post in the "introduce yourself" area ( that post has more background on this story). I have read a lot here (THANK YOU!), but this made me register so I can post ( and get advice).

Wife and I went looking at boats this weekend ( 1st trip- " just looking. NOT starting our shopping". Yeah. Sure.) and we found a boat so nice that my wife wants us to buy it! I "rather doubted" she could ever be enthusiastic about purchased, So this is GREAT!! except..

The engine is dead. As in disassembled and parts on the counter. And wife STILL wants to buy it! so I am in a quandary..

The engine is a Volvo MD2B. I spent about 4 hours after we got home reading/searching here. I have some conclusions:

1- this engine probably should not be rebuilt or replaced with another Volvo engine.

2- Yanmar is a decent option to replace it.

3-it would cost ballpark $10,000 to replace engine (ballpark. starting point).

I would appreciate input/ advice on these points, especially the 1st 2. I will worry about #3 when/if I get to that point -which is doubtful for me. But I need to at least ask, since my wife has "come aboard" on this particular boat!

Again , my post in " introduce yourself" has a lot of background. Let me add a little here. first, I do not know what is wrong with the engine. BUT... The current owner listed it as failed. He has owned it LONG TIME, and maintained it GREAT. If he considers it failed, so do I.

3 options are to:

a) buy a new engine.I read a lot of threads here last night; Thank you! I think and hope I could find a new engine that could fit in the space. Any specific recommendations would be appreciated

b)- look for an old boat with a running engine and move engine or possible whole drive train (is term " drive train" used for boats?). This might be cheaper, but more of a gamble and more time intensive. do y'all think it would be worth the effort?

c) would any of you recommend a saildrive unit? The thought scares me, but I have to at least ask. The boat is pretty much original ( and, again, very well maintained). I do NOT want to engineer anything much different. Worse yet, I would be paying someone to do this. Someone I have no history with. Trusting a stranger. This is a project for a do it yourselfer...

Boat is in great shape- with a bad engine. but wife REALLY likes this one ( the only one she even thought worth considering purchase of).

Besides reading "replace engine" threads, I looked at similar boats for sale. I think the owner has priced it fairly at roughly "boat as is + $10,000 for new engine = fair market value" . Last time: I doubt this is project for me, but wife (REALLY) likes it so I have to investigate.

It is Sunday afternoon; I will be on/off here today. Weekdays It will be late at night after work (sigh). THANK YOU FOR THE HELP AND ADVICE!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in