SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Fresh water to salt

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Guyfromthenorth 
#1 ·
I am looking at a French Kirie Elite that is currently based on a Canadian freshwater lake. Is there any concern with moving this boat to salt water? I am particularly interested in the engine cooling system considerations.

#2 ·
Engine information will help but, if direct sea water cooled, the water channels will corrode more easily in sea water. If sea water cools the engine cooling fluid, it will be safer but in any case you will not face any problems except faster corrosion which might take years.

#5 ·
If the engine is raw water cooled then the fact that the boat lived in fresh water is a bonus because the cooling passages will not be as corroded and clogged as a salt water engine would be as it ages. You may want to consider converting the engine to fresh water cooling to give the engine a longer service life in the salt water.

If the engine is already fresh water cooled then you will still likely have less corrosion in the heat exchanger than a salt water boat would.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Just sailed my freshwater boat to salt this year. As mentioned change all your anodes out and make sure to use zinc. Magnesium is used (recommended) in fresh water and it will vanish quickly in salt, ask me how I know. Otherwise all is well. You will notice all the beautiful bronze parts that are original and were shiny suddenly turn green though lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.