Volvo penta md6b - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-15-2020 Thread Starter

Volvo penta md6b

Hi guys I'm new to this forum and to sailing, I have a seamaster 23 which I have had for about a year and recently bought a md6b which im hoping to put in,
i have a couple of questions if anyone could possibly help me out...
1. I dnt have a gearbox for it at the moment as I'm struggling to find one as you can imagine but is there an alternative to a volvo penta I could use?
2. I have a small oil leak coming from the hollow threaded shaft? I have a bolt in there at the moment but has any1 any idea why it is a hollow and threaded shaft at the end?
Any help on this would be much appreciated thanks guys John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-16-2020

Re: Volvo penta md6b

ZF/Hurth gears are often matched up with Volvos. Try them.

You'll either need to provide a better description of the threaded shaft or post a picture.

Is this the OEM engine that belongs in the boat or are you modifying. The later could be an extreme project. It could cost more than the boat is worth, after buying a gear and all the proper mating hardware, shaft, prop, etc. The original prop pitch, shaft length, gear reduction ratio, etc, could be matched differently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-16-2020

I have an MD7. Just looking at pics and rough specs it seems to be a 2cylinder 10hp motor. It looks a lot like the MD7.

The MD7 is, I believe, a much more popular motor. Do some research and see if you can find out if they use the same transmission. That might open your chances of finding one. The MD7A is 13hp and md7b is 17hp. They are essentially the same engine with different piston bores or sow such thing. I think they both used the same transmission.

Iím sorry but I do need to ask what prompted you to look to installing that particular engine? Hopefully you got it for free or next to.

The ME7ís are great engines, known to be bullet proof. But they are salt water cooled, leading to some corrosion issues and, being very old, some parts are extremely hard to find. And they spin left handed. Not a bad thing but most props are right handed.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

post #4 of 6 Old 04-16-2020 Thread Starter

Great il have a look around for a gearbox of that type. No the engine was bought for next to nothing and listed as a non runner but with a bit of tlc she starts without a problem and runs a dream, so it's been a labour of love getting it running and would really like to try in the boat. I'm told the shaft that's in the boat with be compatible with most gearboxes and I have checked measurements and shouldn't be a problem, this is all a learning curve for me and really want to attempt it with this engine,if it doesn't work out it comes out and I start again with not too much of a loss in the wallet so yeah thanks for your replies guys much appreciated.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-16-2020 Thread Starter

Here's some pics of the internally threaded shaft? It's hollow and flows oil if I turn the shaft?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20200416-WA0001_1587046545362.jpg   IMG-20200416-WA0000_1587046556968.jpg   IMG-20200416-WA0002_1587046587909.jpg  
post #6 of 6 Old 04-16-2020

I have a MD6/MD7 workshop manual and a MD7 parts manual.

I can find no part numbers, they just say the reduction gear (1.91:1 in MD7) is integral to the engine.

Send me a PM with your email and Iíll send you copies of these manuals.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in