Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Ericson (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/ericson/)
-   -   How tall is my mast (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/ericson/328734-how-tall-my-mast.html)

salishgirl 03-12-2019 06:15 PM

How tall is my mast

I need some help in determining whether I can make it under some of our drawbridges here in Seattle. I'm a new owner of an Ericson 31 Cruising sailboat. I can't find any info that tells me exactly what my clearance is for motoring under a bridge or railway trestle. Yes, I can measure but I thought there might be some published information.
thanks

RegisteredUser 03-12-2019 06:37 PM

Sailboatdata.com is one source.
Add cabin top..add antenna etc
Buy a 50 ft tape and measure it anway...sleep well..less fright

tempest 03-12-2019 07:02 PM

Re: How tall is my mast

It looks like your P measurement should be 32.5 feet, that's top of mast to the Boom. Then you'd need to figure out the height from the boom to the cabin top, then Cabin top to deck, and then the deck to the water line. ( I got that from Sailboatdata.com ) Don't forget to add any antennas or lights at the top of the mast.

If you don't get a better answer here, there's an Ericson owners site. Someone will certainly have measured over there.

BTW, Your concern is Fixed Bridges, Drawbridges open and shouldn't pose a problem.

Congrats on your new boat.

outbound 03-12-2019 07:02 PM

Do the segment from of ICW from Norfolk to Oriental for the first time with this boat. When’s up the mast measured top of mast to top of all antennas. Then took a string with a fishing weight and dropped to top to deck near mast. Then came down. Then measured string where I marked it at top of mast. Then took a stick and a level. Put a piece of tape where it hit middle shroud. Then using string measured from water to tape on shroud.
Do not use internet information. When inches matter take the time to measure.

outbound 03-12-2019 07:03 PM

Do the segment from of ICW from Norfolk to Oriental for the first time with this boat. Whenís up the mast measured top of mast to top of all antennas. Then took a string with a fishing weight and dropped to top to deck near mast. Then came down. Then measured string where I marked it at top of mast. Then took a stick and a level. Put a piece of tape where it hit middle shroud. Then using string measured from water to tape on shroud.
Do not use internet information. When inches matter take the time to measure.

danvon 03-14-2019 04:48 AM

BTW, You're concern is Fixed Bridges, Drawbridges open and shouldn't pose a problem.

[/QUOTE]

Actually you can spend a hell of a lot of time waiting for drawbridges in Seattle, and they won't open at all during peak traffic hours. Smaller boats get under most of them which makes life a lot easier. If you are lucky you can get under the railroad bridge at Shilshole - with increased railroad traffic now it is closed a lot and stays that way.

tempest 03-14-2019 10:17 AM

Right! I missed that part that the OP wanted to clear a draw bridge in the closed position. ;-) That's definitely a Question for a Tape Measure. ;-)

Sailormon6 03-14-2019 11:11 AM

I don't want to cause anyone nightmares, but, when a bridge is undergoing maintenance, there might be scaffolding or other things temporarily suspended below the bridge that change its minimum clearance. When I encountered it in a boat where there was a close question as to our clearance, a cellphone call to the coast guard was not helpful. They said they didn't know how far down it hung. In short, don't assume anything and be observant in a close clearance question.