How tall is my mast - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2019   #1

salishgirl is on a distinguished road
How tall is my mast

I need some help in determining whether I can make it under some of our drawbridges here in Seattle. I'm a new owner of an Ericson 31 Cruising sailboat. I can't find any info that tells me exactly what my clearance is for motoring under a bridge or railway trestle. Yes, I can measure but I thought there might be some published information.
thanks
salishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2019   #2

RegisteredUser is on a distinguished road
Sailboatdata.com is one source.
Add cabin top..add antenna etc
Buy a 50 ft tape and measure it anway...sleep well..less fright
RegisteredUser is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2019   #3

tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: How tall is my mast

It looks like your P measurement should be 32.5 feet, that's top of mast to the Boom. Then you'd need to figure out the height from the boom to the cabin top, then Cabin top to deck, and then the deck to the water line. ( I got that from Sailboatdata.com ) Don't forget to add any antennas or lights at the top of the mast.

If you don't get a better answer here, there's an Ericson owners site. Someone will certainly have measured over there.

BTW, Your concern is Fixed Bridges, Drawbridges open and shouldn't pose a problem.

Congrats on your new boat.

Last edited by tempest; 03-14-2019 at 09:14 AM.
tempest is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2019   #4

outbound is on a distinguished road

Do the segment from of ICW from Norfolk to Oriental for the first time with this boat. When’s up the mast measured top of mast to top of all antennas. Then took a string with a fishing weight and dropped to top to deck near mast. Then came down. Then measured string where I marked it at top of mast. Then took a stick and a level. Put a piece of tape where it hit middle shroud. Then using string measured from water to tape on shroud.
Do not use internet information. When inches matter take the time to measure.
Old 03-12-2019   #5

outbound is on a distinguished road

Do the segment from of ICW from Norfolk to Oriental for the first time with this boat. Whenís up the mast measured top of mast to top of all antennas. Then took a string with a fishing weight and dropped to top to deck near mast. Then came down. Then measured string where I marked it at top of mast. Then took a stick and a level. Put a piece of tape where it hit middle shroud. Then using string measured from water to tape on shroud.
Do not use internet information. When inches matter take the time to measure.
Old 03-14-2019   #6

danvon is on a distinguished road

BTW, You're concern is Fixed Bridges, Drawbridges open and shouldn't pose a problem.

[/QUOTE]

Actually you can spend a hell of a lot of time waiting for drawbridges in Seattle, and they won't open at all during peak traffic hours. Smaller boats get under most of them which makes life a lot easier. If you are lucky you can get under the railroad bridge at Shilshole - with increased railroad traffic now it is closed a lot and stays that way.

Last edited by danvon; 03-14-2019 at 03:49 AM. Reason: spelling
danvon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2019   #7

tempest is on a distinguished road

Right! I missed that part that the OP wanted to clear a draw bridge in the closed position. ;-) That's definitely a Question for a Tape Measure. ;-)
tempest is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2019   #8

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

I don't want to cause anyone nightmares, but, when a bridge is undergoing maintenance, there might be scaffolding or other things temporarily suspended below the bridge that change its minimum clearance. When I encountered it in a boat where there was a close question as to our clearance, a cellphone call to the coast guard was not helpful. They said they didn't know how far down it hung. In short, don't assume anything and be observant in a close clearance question.
Sailormon6 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
B-Zip
Zip/Postal Code (not required)
B-Cty
Country (not required)

Log-in