SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Extreme Sailing Videos (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/extreme-sailing-videos/)
-   -   Great Movie (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/extreme-sailing-videos/301953-great-movie.html)

TonyCross 10-25-2017 11:20 AM

Great Movie

If you saw "All is lost" with Robert Redford thinking what a poor film.

Can I recommend a great film it's called "En Solitaire" (Turning Tide)

If follows the Vendée Globe race, it's a fictional story but the vision of the
yacht handling is really impressive, especially when viewed from a BlueRay disc, it somehow captures the essence of these impressive racing yachts.

How they achieved the footage is the real strength of this film, it really captures the speed and excitement of ocean racing. The cinematography is by far the best I have ever seen, you feel the need to hang onto the couch at times .... Not sure how much was CG'd but it sure does look real.

There is also chunk of technology on display.

The film is in French but the English subtitles are easy to follow, not really needed, the other thing I like about the film is you don't spend the whole film saying "How stupid he would never do that" as I tended to do with "All is lost".

The main actor François Cluzet (Playing the Racer Yann Kermadec ) is just incredible, so much so, I believed he was a real yachtsman not an actor.

I won't give any spoilers as it has a story to tell, well worth watching with the kids.

Let me know if you agree/disagree.

Cheers Tony

Faster 10-25-2017 05:33 PM

Re: Great Movie

Absolutely agree.. certainly one of the best 'sailing' movies in terms of realistic/real at-sea footage. The story line is good too,(no spoiler here).

I think in second place is a mediocre move called 'Wind' (a 12-meter Americas Cup story) but it had good racing footage.

basssears 10-26-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 2051258329)
I think in second place is a mediocre move called 'Wind' (a 12-meter Americas Cup story) but it had good racing footage.

Can't remember where but was just reading about the shooting of this, did a bunch of it off Hawaii and the sailing just didn't look that interesting on film in anything less than 30 knots... some of it was shot in 35+ and there were fears of dismasting during shooting, especially when they had their giant downwind sail ("whomper") up...

Skipper Jer 10-26-2017 12:15 PM

Just watched the trailer on you tube. Looks like a good story. Hope the movie ends well for all involved.

basssears 10-26-2017 12:23 PM

Where did you manage to find this movie to watch it? Unfortunately not on Netflix, hate buying these things these days...

TonyCross 10-26-2017 05:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by basssears (Post 2051259153)
Where did you manage to find this movie to watch it? Unfortunately not on Netflix, hate buying these things these days...

Netflix did show it but it has now been dropped from the list ):

Amazon have the film for rent or you can buy, this is the UK link but you may find a local option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turning-Tid.../dp/B00R6GGGO0

also on itunes

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/movie/tu...de/id911885420

It may also be available on some streaming sites locally.

Just to give an idea of the quality of the shots I have attached some stills showing some of the action....

Hope you have the chance to see.

johnjayson 04-27-2018 04:36 AM

I read your introduction and i feel it will interesting movie to watch
Definately i will watch it in the free time

SVTatia 04-27-2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 2051258329)
Absolutely agree.. certainly one of the best 'sailing' movies in terms of realistic/real at-sea footage. The story line is good too,(no spoiler here).

I second the above.
Also, Jean Du Sud - the full length documentary of the circumnavigation by Yves Jelinas maker of Cape Horn wind vanes was very well done, albeit datednow. He did the first drone scene of a boat under sail... hooked a camera to a kite he made... Too bad the image quality is no longer good.

capta 04-27-2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyCross (Post 2051257873)
If you saw "All is lost" with Robert Redford thinking what a poor film.

Only if you think All is Lost is a movie about sailing! It could have been set on the slopes of Everest, in the deep woods, a desert or densest rain forest. But it wasn't a movie about sailing, just a psychological drama of a man in circumstances way outside his experience and abilities.

Cactus Sailing 05-01-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 2051473858)
Only if you think All is Lost is a movie about sailing! It could have been set on the slopes of Everest, in the deep woods, a desert or densest rain forest. But it wasn't a movie about sailing, just a psychological drama of a man in circumstances way outside his experience and abilities.

he was very calm considering his circumstances, The film depicted sailing very poorly though, im looking forward to watching "the mercy"

have to wait for DVD though as the other half couldn't be persuaded to visit the cinema for that one.... all is lost may have set a precedent there.