Great Movie - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TonyCross

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-25-2017 Thread Starter

Great Movie

If you saw "All is lost" with Robert Redford thinking what a poor film.

Can I recommend a great film it's called "En Solitaire" (Turning Tide)

If follows the Vendée Globe race, it's a fictional story but the vision of the
yacht handling is really impressive, especially when viewed from a BlueRay disc, it somehow captures the essence of these impressive racing yachts.

How they achieved the footage is the real strength of this film, it really captures the speed and excitement of ocean racing. The cinematography is by far the best I have ever seen, you feel the need to hang onto the couch at times .... Not sure how much was CG'd but it sure does look real.

There is also chunk of technology on display.

The film is in French but the English subtitles are easy to follow, not really needed, the other thing I like about the film is you don't spend the whole film saying "How stupid he would never do that" as I tended to do with "All is lost".

The main actor François Cluzet (Playing the Racer Yann Kermadec ) is just incredible, so much so, I believed he was a real yachtsman not an actor.

I won't give any spoilers as it has a story to tell, well worth watching with the kids.

Let me know if you agree/disagree.

Cheers Tony
elliowb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-25-2017

Re: Great Movie

Absolutely agree.. certainly one of the best 'sailing' movies in terms of realistic/real at-sea footage. The story line is good too,(no spoiler here).

I think in second place is a mediocre move called 'Wind' (a 12-meter Americas Cup story) but it had good racing footage.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 10 Old 10-26-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I think in second place is a mediocre move called 'Wind' (a 12-meter Americas Cup story) but it had good racing footage.
Can't remember where but was just reading about the shooting of this, did a bunch of it off Hawaii and the sailing just didn't look that interesting on film in anything less than 30 knots... some of it was shot in 35+ and there were fears of dismasting during shooting, especially when they had their giant downwind sail ("whomper") up...

Hailey, Idaho & Bellingham, WA
Sailing blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-26-2017

Just watched the trailer on you tube. Looks like a good story. Hope the movie ends well for all involved.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-26-2017

Where did you manage to find this movie to watch it? Unfortunately not on Netflix, hate buying these things these days...

Hailey, Idaho & Bellingham, WA
Sailing blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-26-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
Where did you manage to find this movie to watch it? Unfortunately not on Netflix, hate buying these things these days...
Netflix did show it but it has now been dropped from the list ):

Amazon have the film for rent or you can buy, this is the UK link but you may find a local option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turning-Tid.../dp/B00R6GGGO0

also on itunes

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/movie/tu...de/id911885420

It may also be available on some streaming sites locally.

Just to give an idea of the quality of the shots I have attached some stills showing some of the action....

Hope you have the chance to see.
Attached Thumbnails
turning tide 2.jpg   turning tide1.jpg   turning tide 4.jpg   turning tide 3.jpg  

Last edited by TonyCross; 10-26-2017 at 05:32 PM. Reason: images
post #7 of 10 Old 04-27-2018

I read your introduction and i feel it will interesting movie to watch
Definately i will watch it in the free time

post #8 of 10 Old 04-27-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Absolutely agree.. certainly one of the best 'sailing' movies in terms of realistic/real at-sea footage. The story line is good too,(no spoiler here).

I second the above.
Also, Jean Du Sud - the full length documentary of the circumnavigation by Yves Jelinas maker of Cape Horn wind vanes was very well done, albeit datednow. He did the first drone scene of a boat under sail... hooked a camera to a kite he made... Too bad the image quality is no longer good.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-27-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyCross View Post
If you saw "All is lost" with Robert Redford thinking what a poor film.
Only if you think All is Lost is a movie about sailing! It could have been set on the slopes of Everest, in the deep woods, a desert or densest rain forest. But it wasn't a movie about sailing, just a psychological drama of a man in circumstances way outside his experience and abilities.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #10 of 10 Old 05-01-2018
Thorny

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Only if you think All is Lost is a movie about sailing! It could have been set on the slopes of Everest, in the deep woods, a desert or densest rain forest. But it wasn't a movie about sailing, just a psychological drama of a man in circumstances way outside his experience and abilities.
he was very calm considering his circumstances, The film depicted sailing very poorly though, im looking forward to watching "the mercy"

have to wait for DVD though as the other half couldn't be persuaded to visit the cinema for that one.... all is lost may have set a precedent there.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in