Caught in a squall - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter

Caught in a squall

We happened to be on our power boat when we got hit by a squall but this video is from when it finally calmed down enough to hold the phone so I could take a video.
We were very grateful for the Navionics app that day since we couldn't see ANYTHING and had to try to stay in the channel by only looking at the charts.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TmQWhHd3YcaeNo2J6
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 1 Day Ago

Dock
Re: Caught in a squall

Did you get a bit wet? Horizontal rain.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 18 Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailNDive View Post
We happened to be on our power boat when we got hit by a squall but this video is from when it finally calmed down enough to hold the phone so I could take a video.
We were very grateful for the Navionics app that day since we couldn't see ANYTHING and had to try to stay in the channel by only looking at the charts.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TmQWhHd3YcaeNo2J6
Thanks for sharing and glad that you made it safely in.

post #4 of 18 Old 1 Day Ago

I guess its similar to a video game when you cant see ..sht.
Fly by instruments, etc.
Either you catch on quick..or you dont.
With my instruments, im better off making speed to have solid tracking..via whatever screen my head is into.
Trust... )
post #5 of 18 Old 1 Day Ago

IFR, Instrument Flight Regulations. You have a nice introduction to the basics of operating your boat IFR. Practice it during the day. Add the depth sounder, then RADAR and you get a good 3D feeling of where the boat is and what the boat is doing. Makes night maneuvering and in fog less scary. Always having a track on the plotter certainly helps when these sudden localized weather surprises pop up. I hope you had a Bimini so you could get out of the pelting rain. Sometimes those squalls can have hail so you get sand blasted from above, without a Bimini. That really hurts, and is COLD!

Last edited by overthehorizon; 1 Day Ago at 02:13 AM.
post #6 of 18 Old 1 Day Ago

What kind of boat am I looking at and where were you?
Looks grim fo'sho! Glad it turned out ok!

s/v Miracle
PSC Flicka 20
post #7 of 18 Old 1 Day Ago

Dock

What fun!

I lost a race with a squall last weekend. ~50 feet from the #1 marker and visibility went from good to I could almost see the bow pulpit. Aborted my chanel entry and steered by compass away from shore, chartplotter said I was going downwind at 4kts (sideways). 15 degrees of heel on the sail cover only. 20 minutes later, clear skies and sunshine. Gotta love the Florida summer!
post #8 of 18 Old 22 Hours Ago

The IFR analogy is appropriate. I'll add a couple of things to consider.

You should trust your instruments, because your imagination and seat of your pants will deceive you. However, you should have a way to confirm/crosscheck your instruments. Confirming that your depth gauge is reading something similar to what your chartplotter suggests is easy enough. If not, stop or slow to figure out what's going on. When in the fishbowl and seeing nothing, visibility always looks worse than it really is. Yes, we've all been in fog/rain that was hard to see the bow, but it's rare. Try to navigate within a hundred feet or so of an ATN, preferably one with safe water around, so that you confirm it visually when you should. I think I actually saw one off your bow at 1 o'clock in the vid. Finally, slow down. You obviously need response time, if your chartplotter is wrong. The saying goes, you should not be moving faster than you can think. Even in a slow sailboat, I find backing down just one knot makes a huge difference.

Good on ya for making it through safely.
chall03 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 18 Old 22 Hours Ago
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The IFR analogy is appropriate. I'll add a couple of things to consider.

You should trust your instruments, because your imagination and seat of your pants will deceive you. However, you should have a way to confirm/crosscheck your instruments. Confirming that your depth gauge is reading something similar to what your chartplotter suggests is easy enough. If not, stop or slow to figure out what's going on. When in the fishbowl and seeing nothing, visibility always looks worse than it really is. Yes, we've all been in fog/rain that was hard to see the bow, but it's rare. Try to navigate within a hundred feet or so of an ATN, preferably one with safe water around, so that you confirm it visually when you should. I think I actually saw one off your bow at 1 o'clock in the vid. Finally, slow down. You obviously need response time, if your chartplotter is wrong. The saying goes, you should not be moving faster than you can think. Even in a slow sailboat, I find backing down just one knot makes a huge difference.

Good on ya for making it through safely.
Sage advice. Well said.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

post #10 of 18 Old 20 Hours Ago
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i am surprised you didnot see the squall coming....glad you made it back ok.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in