How to make attachments to carbon fiber mast. - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 01-03-2016 Thread Starter

Re: How to make attachments to carbon fiber mast.

The boat in question is a Freedom 28. There is no backstay and the forestay doesnít really provide support. I havenít decided on an adhesive, but Iím curious why the seemingly universal hate for 3M 5200? This would be a permanent installation, I donít ever see a reason for the rings to be removed, so why not go for overkill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 01-03-2016
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF28 View Post
The boat in question is a Freedom 28. There is no backstay and the forestay doesnít really provide support. I havenít decided on an adhesive, but Iím curious why the seemingly universal hate for 3M 5200? This would be a permanent installation, I donít ever see a reason for the rings to be removed, so why not go for overkill?
I saw a nice video of a restoration of an old CCA Boat and EVERYTHING was glued on the deck with 5200. I don't think anyone would think a lifeline stanchion or a cleat is truly a "permanent" installation so the generally accepted feeling of most is use something else. Its good for gluing on keels too. So if gluing is the way to go and I'm still not the expert on that then it should be OK. I tend to agree if Garhauer or someone like that makes a part for it that the Freedom guys subscribe to that's not a permanent attachment my gut is that's better than drilling and tapping or permanent glue that could cause delamination in an extreme situation. But its just MY gut still no expert opinion on Carbon spars.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-05-2016 Thread Starter

After some thought, I've decided to go with double back tape. For a whisker pole attachment it should be permanent, without being irreversibly permanent...... I'll be sure to report if this does not provide an acceptable result.

Thanks to all for the input.

post #14 of 15 Old 01-05-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF28 View Post
After some thought, I've decided to go with double back tape. For a whisker pole attachment it should be permanent, without being irreversibly permanent...... I'll be sure to report if this does not provide an acceptable result.

Thanks to all for the input.
My only concern is that it will only be as secure as the clear coating on the outside of the carbon fiber. If it is an older spar I imagine UV may well have damaged or weakened the outside coating. I think I would contact the manufacturer. Freedom did not make the spars, but not sure who did, I would contact GMT composites, not sure if they made the originals, but they are one of the oldest carbon spar makers.

I say this because I have seen a lot of the carbon masts with flaking clear coat. While the zip ties may not be pretty they seem to be a pretty convenient and removable/strong way of holding them on.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!

Last edited by miatapaul; 01-05-2016 at 04:09 PM.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-20-2016
Freedom 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
My only concern is that it will only be as secure as the clear coating on the outside of the carbon fiber. If it is an older spar I imagine UV may well have damaged or weakened the outside coating. I think I would contact the manufacturer. Freedom did not make the spars, but not sure who did, I would contact GMT composites, not sure if they made the originals, but they are one of the oldest carbon spar makers.

I say this because I have seen a lot of the carbon masts with flaking clear coat. While the zip ties may not be pretty they seem to be a pretty convenient and removable/strong way of holding them on.
I'm a bit late on this thread but Tillotson Pearson/Pearson Composites (the builders that actually made the Freedom line of sailboats boats in the USA) did indeed make the masts in-house. A Google search will show numerous links. This is just the first one that popped up. https://books.google.co.vi/books?id=...0spars&f=false

Last edited by FarCry; 02-20-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in