Portable Genny - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 81 Old 04-06-2016

Re: Portable Genny

How much $ for a "well designed system" ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 81 Old 04-06-2016

Buy it. & you will know why when you use it.
post #23 of 81 Old 04-07-2016

If the Darwinian status of running a gasoline generator includes running it down below, then I agree. But nobody is that stupid. Are they?

Unless you're directly in the path of the exhaust gases being emitted, I find it really hard to conceptualise a condition where a genset operating on deck can end up killing you. That belief is really driven by the parallel belief that the genset would always be located as far away from occupants as they can get it just to escape the noise.
tdw likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

post #24 of 81 Old 04-07-2016
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
But nobody is that stupid. Are they?
Not for long.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 81 Old 04-07-2016
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I just looked at the study Mainsail talked about, and apparently, the vast majority of those deaths occurred when people fired up gasoline generators in their garages, basements and homes during power outages. Here is an exert from that study: ASHRAE Journal, Sept, 2014, Vol.56(9), p.92(4) [Peer Reviewed Journal]
Description: Concerns exist about the hazard of acute residential carbon monoxide (CO) exposures from portable gasoline-powered generators, which can result in death or serious adverse health effects. As of April 23, 2013 and as shown in Figure 1, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) databases contain records of at least 800 deaths (involving 597 incidents) from CO poisoning caused by consumer use of a generator in the period of 1999 through 2012. (1) Typically, these deaths occur when consumers use a generator in an enclosed or partially enclosed space or, less often, outdoors near a partially open door, window or vent. While avoiding the operation of such generators in or near a home would reduce indoor CO exposures significantly, it may not be realistic to expect such usage to be eliminated completely.

All the best,

Gary
Gary,

That is not the data I am referring to. The data I have, 45 pages of deaths and poisonings, is just specific to boats. As far as I know it is not a public document. I have it for one of the committees I sit on.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #26 of 81 Old 04-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I don't think it makes a bit of difference whether the exhaust gasses are created by diesel or gasoline - both are just as deadly.......
Both can be deadly, but gasoline exhaust has something in the neighborhood of 30 times more carbon monoxide than diesel exhaust. It's worth considering.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #27 of 81 Old 04-07-2016

All it takes is breeze from an unexpected direction... say you're anchored bow and stern, or your at a dock with no shore power... i.e. situations where you can't pivot into the wind, you run your generator in its normal stern location (usually downwind) and voila, your boat is full of carbon monoxide.

Put it on the bow to get away from the noise while you sit in the cockpit, it could easily drift down through solar vents / dorades and into the cabin.

You'll read different things, but it basically has a vapor density of 1.0 meaning it weighs the same as air, so it just hangs there (doesn't rise, doesn't sink) until acted on by the most minor or air currents and drifts - in my experience - exactly where you don't want it to.

-- Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
If the Darwinian status of running a gasoline generator includes running it down below, then I agree. But nobody is that stupid. Are they?

Unless you're directly in the path of the exhaust gases being emitted, I find it really hard to conceptualise a condition where a genset operating on deck can end up killing you. That belief is really driven by the parallel belief that the genset would always be located as far away from occupants as they can get it just to escape the noise.
post #28 of 81 Old 04-07-2016

So the below deck diesel units are water cooled. Exhaust gases mixed with water before egress from the boat. Exhaust is at the waterline.

Some how this is an equivalent danger of CO poisoning? Really? Please explain?

So you can put matches out in diesel. This is the same fire/burn risk as a hot engine on deck? Please explain?

So below deck units will tolerate 20-25* of heel. Still wondering if folks run their Hondas underway? Honestly don't know if a device made to run on level ground will run bouncing around on the sea. Please educate me.

Seems to me gas generators are great if you are not sailing and careful. Big issue for some is not those wonderful lazy days but when your draw is high but main engine is off. Overcast, 5-15 with radar, AP, frig/freezer, and all electronics going. No shower for 2-3 days so run the watermaker.

I'm with Maine. Boat should be set up that need for extra electrons should be never. But it does happen to me. Like to think fuel equals water shouldn't be true. Like to think wind vane means no AP as well. Like to think crew and I are vigilant with our eyes and everything shows up on AIS. Like think we see squalls before the radar and can see their size.

Admit I'm deficient. Clumsy on deck, get tired, like my steering and nav aids, sloppy pouring fluids on a pitching deck.Feel better after a shower. In short human.

No still hate generators. All generators. But still think below deck units make more sense for some.

Recall a day at Block. Wife pulled four consecutive days of 12h shifts. Finally got back to the boat. After the sail she needed sleep. Anchored in great salt pond. She was woken at 6a. Not one but 3 Hondas running. Not so quite in my mind.
Out to Jost van Dyke. Hard to get to sleep among the charter cats partying. Their vacation so I'm cool with it and understand. Just wish they played better music. They all crash. 10-15 boats with AC on (no need), some with TVs on ( no one watching) and diesel water cooling water splashing all night long. Wasteful and obnoxious.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 04-07-2016 at 10:48 AM.
post #29 of 81 Old 04-07-2016
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post

No still hate generators. All generators. But still think below deck units make more sense for some.
Yeah but like all things boat, everything can be fixed with cash. I'm in the process of installing a below deck diesel generator and so far I've spent about $6800 on the project. And this is for an inexpensive unit. Not everyone can afford one of these and not all boats even have the space to install one.

You should get off your high horse broken record about it as you are sounding like a boat snob to me.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #30 of 81 Old 04-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Gary,

That is not the data I am referring to. The data I have, 45 pages of deaths and poisonings, is just specific to boats. As far as I know it is not a public document. I have it for one of the committees I sit on.
Maine Sail... you must be talking about this study?

CDC - Carbon Monoxide Dangers in Boating - NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic

Lots of reading and while informative... most of us using the generators in a safe way will not have to worry if used responsibly... anything else is pretty much nonsense.
travlineasy likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in