Portable Genny - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 81 Old 04-07-2016

Re: Portable Genny

I have an EU1000 (smaller cousin of the 2k) that I use sometimes with my 4wd camping van, my experience with that generator is that it would NOT tolerate running at an angle at all... I think you'd starve the oil pump and seize the engine, unless it starved of fuel first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
So below deck units will tolerate 20-25* of heel. Still wondering if folks run their Hondas underway? Honestly don't know if a device made to run on level ground will run bouncing around on the sea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 Old 04-07-2016 Thread Starter

A friend of mine purchased a generator for his work, and I thought of my boat.The need for a generator is not urgent, but just wondered if it would be a reasonable/necessary purchase. If I were to purchase one, the noise and where to place it would be the concern

Last edited by fishandships; 04-07-2016 at 01:32 PM. Reason: More info
post #33 of 81 Old 04-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Both can be deadly, but gasoline exhaust has something in the neighborhood of 30 times more carbon monoxide than diesel exhaust. It's worth considering.
Keep in mind that it only takes a minuscule amount of CO to kill a person, mainly because the human body absorbs CO at a rate 300 times faster than O2. When I worked at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Unit we had a hyperbaric chamber for treating CO poisoning and other diseases. We saw lots of CO poisoned patients every year, often children. In those instances, though, the CO was the result of faulty, natural gas, hot water heaters and plugged chimneys. The oddest case I treated was a guy who was a heavy cigar smoker, one that inhaled the cigar smoke. When he came in, his skin was blood red and he was gasping for every breath. His CO blood level was near the lethal level and he spent two days in the chamber before recovering.

So, like I stated above, both are deadly - one may be quicker, but both sources are very lethal.

Gary

post #34 of 81 Old 04-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
I have an EU1000 (smaller cousin of the 2k) that I use sometimes with my 4wd camping van, my experience with that generator is that it would NOT tolerate running at an angle at all... I think you'd starve the oil pump and seize the engine, unless it starved of fuel first.

My Honda 2000 has run at various angles underway without a problem for eight years now. It does have an electric fuel pump so that may be helping not sure if you 1000 unit has the same configuration.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 81 Old 04-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
My Honda 2000 has run at various angles underway without a problem for eight years now. It does have an electric fuel pump so that may be helping not sure if you 1000 unit has the same configuration.
And, similar to most small gasoline engines, they do not use an oil pump, but instead, use an oil splasher, which does a great job on lawn mowers, garden tractors, etc...

Gary
post #36 of 81 Old 04-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Keep in mind that it only takes a minuscule amount of CO to kill a person.......
Well, there is a minuscule amount of CO in the atmosphere. Whether it kills you is dependent on both the amount of CO in the air you breath, as well as exposure time. It would take an extraordinary amount of CO to kill you in one breath, but it is theoretically possible. More typical, you'll die after repeatedly breathing the CO and it cumulatively attaches to your hemoglobin, thereby preventing O2 from doing so.

Suffice it to say, it will take 30x more diesel exhaust to kill you, than gasoline exhaust, over the same period. Said differently, the equivalent amount of exhaust will have much less CO from diesel and, therefore, take substantially longer to kill you.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #37 of 81 Old 04-07-2016

If CO was such an issue I and everyone driving convertibles on the roads for hours at a time behind some real polluters should theoretically be dead (dazed or prone to suffocation) a long time ago from all those emissions at a far higher dosage than what one would get on a sailing vessel out in all sorts of open areas and winds. Just a haphazard guess...
travlineasy likes this.
post #38 of 81 Old 04-07-2016

The risk of death is clearly from CO getting down a hatch or companionway, not while sitting outside.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #39 of 81 Old 04-07-2016
bell ringer

Marine CO2 detector $89 from Defender

FireBoy - Xintex Sentinel Carbon Monoxide Detector - No Relay

If you skip that and die, oh well one less idiot!

I'm not against people having generators, even portable ones. But I don't support overly protecting idiots. In fact I'm for allowing idiots to do whatever damage to themselves as they wish. As we say in New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #40 of 81 Old 04-07-2016

Don. Problem is much to perhaps your mutual dismay we do not live in a libertarian society. You my friend not infrequently get to pay for others stupidity.
Chronic surprisingly low level CO intoxication or acute CO intoxication selectively damage the basal ganglia producing an irreversible movement disorder. These people are significantly disabled. You Don get to pay and support them. Always fascinated to me that smokers on the other hand have lower rates of the most common significant movement disorder. That being Parkinson's Disease. Don't see anything too snotty about that. Maybe just don't like unfortunate folks drooling. Miserable to be brain injured. Should only have sympathy not your cruel heartless attitude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in