Portable Genny - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 81 Old 04-08-2016
Dirt Free

Re: Portable Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post

Even bigger question is why doesn't the NMMA and other boat standards require a Carbon monoxide detector installed
ABYC A-24 Carbon Monoxide Detection Systems (required since 2008).

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 81 Old 04-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Mel is a great contributor and experienced Captain and we're fortunate to have her point of view. Can't speak for her, but most woman I know are not a fan of that sexist way of describing fortitude.

She's also not in the habit of calling others names, when they have a different point of view.

There are valid points of view from both the gasoline portable crowd and the inboard diesel crowd. There is no win here.
No need to feel thin skinned Minne... Yes we all know Melrna and she has been exemplary here and she is an incredible contributor... My point was if she has done the portable generator use why do some question it if they themselves do not have one? Why not take her advice as well as others that ACTUALLY have the Hondas or other generators and instead of ranting about the use and the knowledge of the user why not let it go? Why not buy one and go through the paces of using one before questioning the ability or experience of users of these generators, the carefulness of placement of these units, and the protection from CO in the form of CO monitors throughout the cabin... What I and others that have the units and the CO monitors don't need are blatant blowhards such as has been read on this thread... Get a unit and then have a say about it's use, hazards, etc... instead of ranting while having a 5-10k generator onboard your vessel doing the same thing albeit exhaust gases blown into the water but CO still there if sitting motionless right?
post #53 of 81 Old 04-08-2016
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I'm seriously considering this one from Harbor Freight, which has lots of rave reviews. The price is right, only 10 pounds heavier than the Honda, half the price, very quiet at 63 db. Inverter Generator - 4.7HP, 2500W Inverter Generator
I had one of these, a Chinese Honda knock-off. It worked great for the one year that it lasted with about 100hrs. run time.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

post #54 of 81 Old 04-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
No need to feel thin skinned Minne... Yes we all know Melrna and she has been exemplary here and she is an incredible contributor... My point was if she has done the portable generator use why do some question it if they themselves do not have one? Why not take her advice as well as others that ACTUALLY have the Hondas or other generators and instead of ranting about the use and the knowledge of the user why not let it go? Why not buy one and go through the paces of using one before questioning the ability or experience of users of these generators, the carefulness of placement of these units, and the protection from CO in the form of CO monitors throughout the cabin... What I and others that have the units and the CO monitors don't need are blatant blowhards such as has been read on this thread... Get a unit and then have a say about it's use, hazards, etc... instead of ranting while having a 5-10k generator onboard your vessel doing the same thing albeit exhaust gases blown into the water but CO still there if sitting motionless right?
Completely rude and 150% unnecessary..
Minnewaska likes this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #55 of 81 Old 04-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Completely rude and 150% unnecessary..
MaineSail.... Sorry you feel this way... But others were just as rude citing 'Darwin Awards' and stupidity for using these generators... those aren't my words... maybe look back at some of the comments... I'm sure they were just as rude and unnecessary as well... we're all not stupid idiots here are we?
post #56 of 81 Old 04-08-2016

Quote:
No need to feel thin skinned Minne...
It's not me you may have offended, perhaps not even Mel. But many women don't like the "balls" comment. You own it now.

Quote:
...why do some question it if they themselves do not have one?
Who have you parsed out that has one? I have one. I also have an inboard diesel.

Quote:
Why not take her advice as well as others that ACTUALLY have the Hondas or other generators and instead of ranting about the use and the knowledge of the user why not let it go?
That logic doesn't equally apply to those with diesels?

Quote:
What I and others that have the units and the CO monitors don't need are blatant blowhards such as has been read on this thread...
Yea. Name calling anyone that doesn't see it your way. There is more than one valid perspective on this.

Quote:
Get a unit and then have a say about it's use, hazards, etc... instead of ranting while having a 5-10k generator onboard your vessel doing the same thing albeit exhaust gases blown into the water but CO still there if sitting motionless right?
I own both, do you? The inboard diesel is substantially better and safer, IMO. I doubt you're now convinced. Although, I have only engaged in this thread with respect to the relative safety of diesel exhaust v gasoline exhaust. I don't really care which anyone uses and see both points of view.
outbound likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #57 of 81 Old 04-08-2016

As far as etiquette goes, I don't fall completely on the side of banning all generators. In fact, I find the sound of a wind generator to be substantially more annoying than an engine. I also believe that the splashing water from an inboard genset is pretty tame, although, I know it annoys others. It doesn't sound and different to me than water splashing ashore or under a sugar scoop transom. Granted, the sound of a buzzing generator on deck annoys many.

The answer is to be considerate. Both ways. If the wind is honking and your neighbors couldn't possibly hear your genset, then it doesn't really matter what you do. When still, especially at night, being considerate is called for. Don't run your generator anymore than you would play loud music everyone could hear, while sleeping. Beyond that, knock yourself out.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #58 of 81 Old 04-08-2016

I don't care or need an inboard generator for the size boat I have. I don't need one for it's electrical needs as I don't need a hairdryer for my hair... second YES the balls comment was to indicate Melrna has more strength and sensibility then some of the 'men' here! YES I own that phrase and proud of it! I could care less you own both... but now seeing that you DO own a portable generator why didn't you just come out and praise the benefits of using one and careful placement to avoid CO instead of acting as if anyone using one is an idiot or agreeing they deserve a Darwin award?

If you've ever been in the NAVY then you know 'blatant blowhard' is used quite often without anyone getting 'thin skinned' offended! Grow a pair!
post #59 of 81 Old 04-08-2016

Quote:
.....why didn't you just come out and praise the benefits of using one and careful placement to avoid CO instead of acting as if anyone using one is an idiot or agreeing they deserve a Darwin award?
Care to quote any of my posts above that acted like anyone was an idiot or agreed with the Darwin comment?

Jeanneau 54DS

post #60 of 81 Old 04-08-2016
Mermaid Hunter

There really can be no question that gasoline engines generate more CO than diesel engines. Melissa (who I am happy to call my friend) is correct that we should also be as concerned about the exhaust systems of fixed engines. At some point, regardless of your risk threshold, the difference between 1 in 10,000 and one in 1,000,000 (the order of magnitude is right, round numbers to make a point) makes little difference if you are the '1' affected.

As noted, ABYC recommendations include gas sensors (propane and CO and smoke). I am not aware of USCG regulation except on inspected vessels (i.e. not us). I am not aware of service intervals defined for much of anything by ABYC or USCG (or CE or Lloyds, et al) except for flares, fire extinguishers, and EPIRBs. I may not be remembering something.

Practically speaking a diesel exhaust leak is going to be smoky and smelly and sometimes wet and steamy. Gasoline engine exhaust leaks are more pernicious.

Mel's point about wind against current is well taken and a good reason for exhausting generators through the side. Not perfect, but better.

It is worth noting that the sensors in CO detectors have a service life. Service life begins at the time of manufacture of the sensor, not the device as a whole. That means the device you purchase could be a couple of years old already when you take it out of the box. High end sensors last 10 years; cheaper ones about five. This is a case of getting what you pay for. The failure mode is false negative (that is, the sensor stops sensing anything). I buy good ones and replace them at about five years.

It is my experience that sharing an anchorage with high frequency noise is more disruptive than lower frequency noise. Other people may have different sensitivities. I find small gasoline generators as irritating as a mosquito circling my head. I suggest the same human audio frequency response is why some (not all) wind generators are similarly unpopular neighbors. For most inbuilt diesel generators the most significant intrusion is splashing of cooling water. You can make that go away with a gas/water separator, but I digress.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in